I am 3 weeks into lifestyle change and have a question -

Options

Replies

• Elfinmajic
    Elfinmajic Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back, especially if it's a harder workout where I burn off at least 400-500 calories. But that works for me. You'll need to play around with it to see how your body responds.
  • ramonasowner
    ramonasowner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    When I am really feeling good I make myself eat half exercised cals. I do well with that. If I am really hungry, a little sick, pms, or feeling tired i eat them all.
    I spent a long time in plateau land not replacing enough.
    Congrats on a great 8!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Its a very contentious subject. Ask yourself this. If you exercise 500 calories, then eat back 500 extra calories, your net calorie intake/burn is zero, so what's the point of doing the exercise!!!
    Personally I use the burned off calories as a buffer should I need the. I usually eat into them but very rarely eat them all back!! People on here will give you lots of different opinions, I'm no expert, but what I do works for me.

When figuring out how many calories to "give" you per day, MFP calculates the deficit for you as if you were not exercising...by not eating back exercise calories, you increase the deficit MFP ALREADY calculated. Whether a larger or smaller deficit works for individual people is obviously a very individual thing.

Edited to add: I know I didn't explain the deficit thing quite right, but the point is that MFP has already done that calculation for us. So it works (for most people) to eat exercise calories back and still lose.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If I m hungry I will eat some of them back, if I am not hungry then I won't.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Im sure you will get a lot of answers...but coming from a medical professional who asked several different medical providers this question...the answer was the same...eating back the calories you have burned defeats the purpose of working out.

Really? I find that surprising seeing that SO many people have success with losing weight by eating back their exercise calories.

Yeah. My weight doesn't go anywhere unless I eat around 1,200 - 1,400 calories a day. There is a great buffer zone when I am maintaing though. It's kind of a bummer, but it is what it is.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Like a few of the other members stated, you will get lots of opinions. You really have to work with the numbers to see what works best for you. Going over in protein and fiber is a plus for me, keeps ya full longer. When I first started out on my journey last year, eating my exercise calories worked for me. Granted there will be times when I wouldn't eat every single calorie back. If you aren't hungry, then don't eat.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I lost about 65 lbs last year and did not really eat back my workout calories. The math of it is, 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat. Create a defecit of 500 cals per day and you get 1 lb of fat loss per week. If you increase the defecit, you lose more fat. Also, keep in mind that not all foods are created equally. 1000 calories of nutrient rich vegetables and lean proteins will leave you feeling better than 1000 calories of junk food. I'm typically over on my protein every day as I want to maintain muscle mass while staying in a calorie defecit situation. Feel free to check out my diary if you want to see what I mean.
  • missgailPer
    Options
    great job on your progress As to being over the protein if you go by this web sights protein and you work out my trainer at the gym told me that its so low you can definitively eat more protein if your exercising.
  • TiaUti
    TiaUti Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat all the calories I earn. I also almost always go over on protein. I used MFP the way it was designed, and it worked perfectly for me.
  • bademasi
    bademasi Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I eat some of the calories if I am hungry. I listen to my body. If I am not hungry then I dont eat them. It depends on how much I burn in exercise and how my body feels. Higher protein should keep you less hungry. This is only my opinion. Do what is best for you.

12908857.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I eat all mine and lost 3.5 pounds last week despite exceeding my allowance one day. I set myself targets then when I've got there I set another one. I'm just one week into my newest target but in all I have lost 158 pounds using this method.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I lost about 65 lbs last year and did not really eat back my workout calories. The math of it is, 3500 calories = 1 lb of fat. Create a defecit of 500 cals per day and you get 1 lb of fat loss per week. If you increase the defecit, you lose more fat. Also, keep in mind that not all foods are created equally. 1000 calories of nutrient rich vegetables and lean proteins will leave you feeling better than 1000 calories of junk food. I'm typically over on my protein every day as I want to maintain muscle mass while staying in a calorie defecit situation. Feel free to check out my diary if you want to see what I mean.

Just to add to my earlier post, DO NOT starve yourself. If you're hungry post workout, eat something. Your body is telling you that for a reason. Don't sacrifice the intensity of your exercise because you don't want to eat afterward. Just make sure the post workout foods are healthy choices!
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the answers!

So here is my next question. In the past when I have logged my exercise and "eat back" my calories, I ALWAYS wind up going over on protein. Is this a bad thing?

Protein is what your body uses for fuel, it helps you feel satisfied longer and is what your body uses to build lean muscle. I often go over on my protein even before exercise and eating those calories back.
  • sandyturley1954
    Options
    Hi,
    Eating more protein isn't a bad thing. As long as you are exercising, It is the fat that is going to burn off of you, not protein. Just don't let your protein drop consistently. Then that can cause problems. If you eat say 20-40 grams of protein more everyday, and spaced out between your three meals, it really shouldn't matter..
    How much weight do you need to lose, if you don't mind me asking.
    I started out at 315, Just lost 15, but need to lose another 100. :sad:
  • Phoenix13
    Phoenix13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    As far as going over in your protein, here's what I've found, personally... If I am lifting heavy (I lift like a guy) I do fine going over in my protein, however, when I'm doing mostly cardio (like training for a marathon) and I over do my protein, it starts to affect my organs and it throws off my blood levels. That's just what I've found for me, personally.
    Every one is different, this journey is filled with little personal adjustments. It's not a "one and done" kind of thing. Keep adjusting and listening to your body, there are so many areas you'll have to fine tune for yourself, no one answer is correct.

Look at it like a project, like restoring a car, you keep tinkering with it until you get it just right (for YOU).

Just don't EVER give up!!! ANY progress is better than no progress or going backward!! It's a bit hit & miss at the beginning, but soon you'll know what works and you'll be soaring!!
  • monst76
    monst76 Posts: 25
    Options
    I haven't even been close, I was 448 Dec. 31st Im now 418 which seems like alot however it's less then 8% of my weight. My goal is 2600 cal. I'm uselly around 1800 or below. Im not starving just eatting better food and alot less at one time. I guess whatever feels right for you prolly is...
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Here is the thing about this site and calories. When you sign up, you are asked a set of questions. This includes how many pounds per week you want to lose. The site then gives you an amount of calories to consume to lose that amount of weight. Healthy weight loss is between 1-2 pounds a week. This number is created ONLY on the foods you eat. There is no exercise included in the calorie amount given to you originally.

Thus, exercise calories are IN ADDITION to the calories already figured for you to lose weight. If you eat them, you should still lose weight because you still have your original deficit happening.

Now, all that said, what I do personally depends on how my day is working. I am only set to lose 1 lb a week on MFP. However, I also figured what I would need to eat to lose 2 lbs a week (for my OCD having a range keeps my anxiety issues down compared to trying to meet a fixed number). I aim to be somewhere between the two. So, I eat back the calories if I need them to meet my requirements.
  • AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    To those that feel that eating back your exercise calories zero's out the benefit - What about the fact that as we workout regularly we gain muscle mass, heart health, stamina and not to mention that your metabolism continues to burn calories at a faster rate for a while after you work out?? I can't see that as a zero benefit!!
  • Cortnizzle
    Options
    Its a very contentious subject. Ask yourself this. If you exercise 500 calories, then eat back 500 extra calories, your net calorie intake/burn is zero, so what's the point of doing the exercise!!
    [/quote
    I read a study where some people cut 500 calories out of their diet and didn't change their exercise, and the other people didn't change their diet and exercised about 500 calories. Both lost the same amount of weight, but the people who exercised lost it from around their torso. Even if you eat back your exercise calories, you're still on a path to lose weight if you don't go over. There is ALWAYS a point for exercise
  • dawny17
    dawny17 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im sure you will get a lot of answers...but coming from a medical professional who asked several different medical providers this question...the answer was the same...eating back the calories you have burned defeats the purpose of working out.

Really? I find that surprising seeing that SO many people have success with losing weight by eating back their exercise calories.

Have the medical professionals ever tried MFP? Considering when you first set up your account, MFP calaulates how many calories your body needs to function. and how many calories you need to safely lose 1 lb a week (or which ever you chose). I say eat back your calories....so you don't starve your body into starvation mode, and you end up gaining weight.

As for the protien, I wouldn't worry about eating too much, considering the Atkins (not that I recommend it) is almost all protien, just make sure you get the food guides recomended daily serving amounts. I just went way over today on mine :)

Remember its a life style change, your not going to be able to do everything exactly by the book, so don't stress, just keep going it will work out in the end. you are already healthier than you were when you started:flowerforyou: