ARE YOU STILL OVERWEIGHT "MENTALLY" AFTER LOSING POUNDS??

Options
One of the things that amaze me is when a person who is overweight WILLS themselves to lose 50, 100, 200, 300 pounds. Its an accomplishment that should be celebrated like they do at the finale of the biggest loser..with balloons and a $250,000 check. Instead MORE insecurity creeps in.

The longer you live your healthy life the better you will start to understand ITS NOT ABOUT THE WEIGHT..its about being healthy and living longer. It is nice to go from a size 18 to a size 6, but YOUR HEART is thanking you for taking so much stress off it. You lungs are thanking you for making life easier to breath again.

TAKE PRIDE in how you are looking now. One of my friends who isnt overweight and recently lost 50 lbs over 2 years was told by her EX that she was "fat" and a loser practically daily. She is in incredible shape however mentally she still sees and thinks she is heavy. She won't even wear shorts and havent for 10 years.

DONTY BE A PRISONER IN YOUR MIND. Just like your body needs exercise so does your mind. I always believe listening to seminars by Anthony Robbins, Og Mandino, Zig Ziglar, Les Brown etc will help. My pastor Joel Osteen is also an amazing motivational speaker.

Lastly dont beat yourself up. You've done the extremely hard part and should be prould. I hear people wonder WHY they dont have the muscle tone..well it will come. Its a lifetime commitment. I you lose in 2011 and gain it all back in 2012 whats the point. I see that 50% of all dieters losing 75 pounds or more GAIN IT ALL BACK ND THEN SOME. Why would you wanna go back?

I wish you the best and MUCH SUCCESS! Remember you ARE amazing and YOU DID THIS!

Replies

• Fourmenandalady28
    Options
    WOW!! This is an amazing post. You addressed the problem, gave basis of support and a solution!!! WE LOVE YOU, BIG CED!!!!! You are one priceless pal!!!
  • Stephiede
    Stephiede Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well said. It's a total body and mind thing.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Well said Ced! Love this!
    I have those feelings often that I am still 250 lbs.
    :(
  • margo36
    margo36 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey I weighed about 350 pounds. I weigh 192 pounds now. It took a while for my head to catch up with my body changes. I went through a period of buying clothes that were too big because I didn't realise how much weight I had lost.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head!!! I think I actually believed myself into gaining a few pounds in the passed few weeks. I forgot how much I had lost and had the numbers reversed in my head! Ugh!

I also have a hard time recognizing myself. I think I am bigger than I am, and even have to do a double take sometimes in the mirror!

Anyway, I think it's a big mind over matter thing for a lot of this journey. At the same time, hard work and dedication go hand-in-hand with the mind!

Thank you for posting this- now I realize I am not the only one who's mind and body don't seem to match up!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    You are so right. The mental battle is hard like the physical one. Thanks for the motivation :)
  • xaniza
    xaniza Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Yes, 40-some pounds lost and I still look in the mirror and see the person I was BEFORE starting the journey. If I have a bad week I feel like I've gained 10lbs, I think I look like I've gained 10lbs, but it's all in my head.
  • bringingsexybackx
    Options
    great post...im also guilty of this...im more insecure now than i was at 187lb... im now 134ish...its crazy....i know it is, but i cant help how i feel. I think when you go through all the blood sweat and tears of loosing the weight and critising yourself daily, like, my legs are still a bit fat or my tummy could be flatter....when you get to your goal theres still always something that you think needs improveing.....its so sad but i think this happens to a lot of people.

I totally agree that people should remember what they have accomplished and be proud of their achievements :) good earth call bigced!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    These feelings are an everyday battle for me, and really needed to hear this. I lost 70lbs--but I still feel +70 in my head. I still feel like that big girl inside, who does not love herself who sinks into depression, and turns to food to make her feel better. I'm trying to get out of this rut, find my motivation that works best for me, stick with it.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Thing is, for me at least, losing weight is the easy part. Mentally, my weight loss is now set, fixed, clunked in my mind, no big deal. But because of things that cant be changed now, it's hard to be confident at this new weight. Plus, i don't really think of my weight loss as an "achievement", as its been really easy and hasn't felt like a battle I've won.
  • tangiesharp
    tangiesharp Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm dealing with this right now. I'm realizing that I need to get out of my head and allow myself to appreciate the work that I have done for myself and my health. It's hard especially when you identify yourself as "the fat girl." Someone called me "skinny" today and I thought it was a joke. But maybe it is me. And maybe that's ok.
  • Journeyingascrystal
    Options
    Dead on Ced..I swear I still hide behind folks in pics... I am working on this daily!!!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    This is true. I've lost right at 100 pounds, yet when I go and buy jeans (I'm a guy, don't tell me to try them on :-) ) I still buy a couple sizes too big. It just hasn't sunk in fully that I'm not that size anymore. I am down to a 40 in pant size now and I sometimes still wear my size 50 dress pants. It's almost a weird comfort thing or something.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Dead on Ced..I swear I still hide behind folks in pics... I am working on this daily!!!!!

You shouldn't you are smashing. (Not whiteknighting!)
  • Starkle09
    Starkle09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Excellent post!! Self imagine is a constant struggle for me. Im working on it tho. Thanks for this :)
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This is a major issue for me. When I look in the mirror I still see 200 pounds, not the 168 I actually am now. I have to force myself to not go to the plus sizes when I go shopping, like I expect those clothes to still fit. I guess it will take time for my mind to adjust.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I find myself in this scenario more often than not! :noway: :noway: :noway: I'm learning, though! :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • PudgyPigeon
    PudgyPigeon Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this- I needed to read something like this today. C:
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    Well said!! Thanks for posting this!