ARE YOU STILL OVERWEIGHT "MENTALLY" AFTER LOSING POUNDS??

Options
2»

Replies

• JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    Great post! I still see the old me in my head, even though I see the new me in the mirror. I'm getting better at it, though!
  • PuffinPie
    Options
    I always pick up clothes in a 16 / 18 even though I am now 10/12 .
    I think I will always think i'm fat but I do have a very poor self image anyway.
    Always think I look terrible.
  • CommittohealthCHANGED
    Options
    Aww thanks Ced for the post., I really struggle with realizing my accomplishments and Sexycook has really help me get over some huge hurtles (like realizing I am no longer fat cause even though I lost 80pds I still was not happy cause I still saw myself fat) funny how being over weight all my life really does a numbers onyour mind. Thanks to awesome friends I have learned to get pass that mentally and now see the big picture of am no longer that fat girl who keep tryout to look back at me in the mirror. Thanks for the ideal of putting a after pic of me on the mirror.
  • jewel6018
    jewel6018 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Great post and thank you. I am still mentally thinking I am fat and I am down to 128lbs. I know it is just because my stomach is not toned and I know it will come with time and hard work. Thanks for the support!!!
  • Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    exact same here. over 100 pound lost in 6 years and 26 in the last 6 months and I am still moaning about how fat i am. i keep looking at clothes and when i get in them i just see lumps and bump. not taking into account that i used to be size 24 and i can now get into size 10 tops and 16 bottoms. I just cant get my head around almost not being medically overweight. how do you even begin to heal the head?
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    What a great post! It seems that I'm never satisfied and just when I reach a goal I'm looking like :huh: cause I'm still now happy yet. I will start to exercise my mind starting now! Great profile pic btw. Happy Martin Luther day everyone:smile:
  • getfitdiva
    getfitdiva Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    It really does take a long time for my mind to catch up to my body. Since I have yo-yo weight loss/gain in the past, it's constantly in the back of the mind that I will return to my unhealthy ways and gain it all back. This also affects my self-esteem and confidence which is something I strive to improve everyday.
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I needed to read it. I've lost a ton of weight the past 10 years (went from 240 to 153). I lost 32 pounds last year thanks to this site. I still see myself as how I was before I lost my weight. It's a hard thought process to break out of. I look at my stomach and see left over flab and since my stomach isn't flat, I basically think it's because nothing has changed, despite what the scale says. Even though I know I've made great strides, I still criticize myself for not having a flat tummy.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I have this same issue too. I still go to pick up my old dress size when shopping ~(admittedy finding they're too big is a bit of a boost). I also don't see myself as I see other women the same height and weight, i don't think I measure up in any way. Someone at work called me the vanishing lady the other day and they're always asking if I've lost more weight, but yet it still doesn't go in when it's just me and the mirror
  • shellybean826
    Options
    great post !!! and when i had lost to my lowest weight ..which was a loss of 156 lbs ...i still thought of myself as 271 lbs ....:noway: i would be shocked when i would catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror or window at the mall ....and i would look at my body that was now smaller and much healthier and be dissappointed cause even tho i was smaller i now had areas that looked horrible with skin or whatever :cry:
    as far as the question you asked about why we would suffer to lose the weight only to gain it back ...well that isnt a easy one to answer ..is it ??? i read a article the other day in the new york times that states they did a study on some men where they kept men in a setting and had one part lose weight (they ran tests) when those men had lost that weight they tested them again and the men's hormones that regulate hunger and satisfaction after eating was all off balance. so that when they ate they didnt get the feeling of eating and the satisfaction of being full AND on top of that ...the hormone that regulated hunger period was extremely low making them feel hunger all the time ....( there body thought they were starving basically and was trying to force them to eat again back to the size they were) ...the article called this the "body set weight point" ...
    the other thing they said was when they allowed the men to gain the weight back up ..so that both groups now weighed the same again, the men that had dieted and lost the weight could no longer eat the same amount of calories and stay that weight ...so where both groups at "x' amount of calories to begin with ..the "dieting" group now had to eat something like 15% less to maintain the original weight ...because again their body adjusting for what it felt was starving had made their muscles more efficient and now they burned less calories :sad: :yawn: :noway: .....sooooooooooooooo bottom line is your body actually fights you all the way around once youve allowed it to set its natural weight point at the higher weight ...

now i know that some folks are not going to agree with this ..and say its the dieters fault for falling back into old eating patterns ...or that they lack the will power to follow thru with their new healthy eating, but think about it ???? ALL of us are weak ??? all of us lack willpower ???? all of us dont want to be healthy ???? .....
  • tanian2007
    Options
    Very nice post! Well expressed.. a struggle that many have!!! Thank you for sharing!! :drinker:
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    in my mind i still think im 300lbs and always go to the bigger sizes when i go to the clothing store... i definitely think im still that overweight at times
  • lisaisso
    lisaisso Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    thanks for the great post.
    it is enlightening.
    and just reminds me how much power the mind really has.. that's what's different for me this time, it just clicked, and that was that. there's no room for hoping and wishing, my mind was made up and i'm fulfilling it thru my actions every day. i have lost 29 lb in 18 weeks, and there's no doubt that i will reach my ultimate goal. once this lever has shifted, i became a force to be reckoned with.
  • cshelgol1
    cshelgol1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    THANX FOR THE MOTIVATION AN SUPPORT, I HAVE NOT WEIGHED IN FOR ALMOST 3 WEEKS BECAUSE I AM AVOIDING THE TRUTHFUL FACTS. I AM COMMANDING MY MIND TO CATCH UP WITH MY WEIGHT, DETERMINATION TO BE FIT AND HEALTHY, AND NOT TO CONSUME MORE THAN I NEED!
  • Honeyblue19
    Options
    Dead on Ced..I swear I still hide behind folks in pics... I am working on this daily!!!!!

This is me as well!!
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    You are absolutely right. At one point I had lost over 75lbs but I didn't feel like it nor was my mind 75lbs down. My baby sister and brother eventually told me that I wasn't big anymore. It sill didn't register till she showed me pictures. Yep, I gained that plus some now its harder to lose.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post. I have a really hard time looking in the mirror and shopping and still not feeling like the same body I was before. I instantly still go for the XXXL+ rack still.