A question for the runners out there...

Options
Is there a stretch or exercise I can do to help prevent shin splints?

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Toe taps will help

I would also suggest you get to a place that does gait analysis / shoe fitting and take pains to make sure you are not overstriding.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Not really. Stretch your calves out really well, be sure your shoes are good(for YOU) and ice them. I've heard a few of my friends have reduced pain when they wear compression socks.
    I used to get them bad when I first started, but I worked through them, allowing a day of rest in between and now I haven't gotten them in a few years, even though I've stopped and stared running (too) many times.
    You can try building up your ankles and calves with weights. For your ankles, "write" the alphabet with your foot. To make it harder, add an ankle weight.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Trace the alphabet with your foot - get a good full stretch with each foot movement.
  • brits111383
    Options
    Trace the alphabet with your foot - get a good full stretch with each foot movement.

Yep, that one is a good one! Also, squatting on the balls of your feet helps.

If you feel shin splints coming on, stop running! It's time to get new shoes. If you're just now becoming aware of shin splints, a shoe replacement may do the trick. However, if your shins are screaming, take at least a week off (hit an elliptical or do some other activity) because you'll only make it worse.

I used to battle with this all of the time when I started running and periodically would increase my mileage. It's so frustrating, but make sure to think about your long-term goals and how taking care of your body is important for reaching those goals.
  • mester09
    mester09 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have shin splints from dancing and I found that when I loosely tape up my shins (I use horse tape) it helps a lot with the pain.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you are running on hard surfaces like concrete you could try to find some dirt trails. The softer surface may help.
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    Stretch out your calf muscles really well. Also your toes and heels.

Avoiding shin splits depends on what the underlying cause is. Are you flat-footed, do you over-pronate when you run?
    Good stretching, compression socks, properly fitted running shoes can all help.
  • fitforcollege
    Options
    My track coach used to have us walk around on only our heels. It feels pretty silly, but it really does help!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions in here. More important is to make sure you figure out the root cause of the pain. Definitely get a gain analysis done and make sure you have the right shoes.
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I walk backwards for a few minutes after every run. If I'm on the treadmill, I put it at an incline. I have been doing this for almost 10 years and have not suffered from shin pain since my first bout with it. Actual shin splints are rare. Most likely your pain is from weak shin muscles and they just need strengthened. Check out running websites, such as runnersworld.com. They have a lot of information on injury prevention and treatment.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Good info here, don't need to repeat most of it... except for the part about finding the underlying cause. Much easier to prevent than they are to heal.
  • olee67
    olee67 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I did do a proper fitting and got my gait and foot looked at. I got a proper pair of shoes that fit for me... Shin splints have always been a problem for me, but, I've never been "properly" fitted for shoes. I have a normal arch and foot type, but, I slightly underpronate and this may be my underlying cause. I've never been a runner. I was a hockey player and never had to deal with the impact and different muscle involvement for running.

I appreciate the info and the excercises suggested... I'm looking to do a warrior run in about 6 months and figure the only way I'm going to be ready to do it is stay as healthy as possible between now and then while I train.

Thanks Everyone!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I did do a proper fitting and got my gait and foot looked at. I got a proper pair of shoes that fit for me... Shin splints have always been a problem for me, but, I've never been "properly" fitted for shoes. I have a normal arch and foot type, but, I slightly underpronate and this may be my underlying cause. I've never been a runner. I was a hockey player and never had to deal with the impact and different muscle involvement for running.

I appreciate the info and the excercises suggested... I'm looking to do a warrior run in about 6 months and figure the only way I'm going to be ready to do it is stay as healthy as possible between now and then while I train.

Thanks Everyone!

Is it possible that if you're still having shin splints then you haven't been fitted to the proper shoe. I've been fitted in the past and still gotten into shoes that cause me pain/discomfort. Just because they fit you doesn't always mean they get you in the right shoe one the first try. Yes, the odds are better that they will, but not 100%.
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I wear compressions socks with every run and I SWEAR by them!

That's my must-have, everything else I would suggest has been done so by others above :smile:

Good luck!
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    If you are running on hard surfaces like concrete you could try to find some dirt trails. The softer surface may help.

it has been my experience that shin splints occur when I go from hard surface to soft and vice versa. Usually happens the first time I run outside in spring and the first time I run inside in the fall. Just something that happens when you change surfaces.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    make sure your shoes are fitted properly and that you aren't increasing mileage too quickly....this is usually the cause of shin splints and will help prevent them.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I am in a similar situation as you in that my legs were not used to the impact although they definitely had muscle built up (I swam, no impact, like hockey). I can't run 2 days in a row. I just can't. That is an underlying cause of shin splints for me. Another was my shoes. Once I got fitted, shin splints were gone--until the shoes wore down. I started getting them again and finally realized it was because my shoes needed replaced. Finally, I wear compression sleeves after running and ice my shins IF I feel any pain at all.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

Thanks Everyone!

if you have been fitted already, perhaps look into minimalist type shoes (vibrams) which are good for underprotonaters since you are supposed to land on the ball of your foot rather than heel-strking style. These helped get rid of my hip pain too!
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Get fitted, but remember that this may not be a 100% solution. After my fitting, I ran with the "best shoes for me". Shin splints crept in when I started breaking a mile per run. Worked up to ~3mi, and would get shin splints once in a while.

Turns out, after I run for a while, I start underpronating very slightly, so motion control shoes make shin splints worse. Switched to low-drop shoes and bumped from three milers to 7+ long runs when weather permits. Minimal footwear for me.

Also, hills - downhill can force more of a heel strike. Too much of that and I start getting shin splints again.