Late Night Cravings

Options
I have a problem with being really hungry at night. I don't get to bed late because I'm in college and people are always drunk and loud in my apartment. : ( And even though I want to sleep... I just lay in bed. I have sleeping medication, but am all out and waiting to go home and get it renewed....

What can I do to stop those late night junk food cravings?
I don't want to eat past 8... I heard that's a good idea not to eat that late.

Any tips so that I don't go crazy and eat everything in sight...

Replies

• DETERMINED2Drop
    DETERMINED2Drop Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with being really hungry at night. I don't get to bed late because I'm in college and people are always drunk and loud in my apartment. : ( And even though I want to sleep... I just lay in bed. I have sleeping medication, but am all out and waiting to go home and get it renewed....

What can I do to stop those late night junk food cravings?
    I don't want to eat past 8... I heard that's a good idea not to eat that late.

Any tips so that I don't go crazy and eat everything in sight...
  • magari14
    magari14 Posts: 9
    Options
    i have a problem with late night cravings just because i eat when i'm lonely. there are a few solutions i have come up with. i get calorie free flavored mineral water and sip on that. it tastes sweet but isn't. it works for me. i also buy boring foods like raw vegetables and tell myself i can only have that late at night. i usually take one bite and am no longer hungry. or, i chew on a piece of gum. it's whatever works for you.
  • Gorgeous
    Gorgeous Posts: 248
    Options
    seriosuly!
    this sounds weird
    but i love to eat ice

get a small cup of ice and eat it
    i like it...i have crunched ice from my fridge
    i munch on it!
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I just think it depends when you go to bed. Naturally, you are going to feel hungry if 3 hrs have past and all you are doing is daydreaming about wanting to sleep :wink:

Grab an apple or some kind of fruit and satisfy your hunger. It is normally the best decisions that get us in trouble weight-wise.

Now if you are going to bed at 10pm, sure, stop eating at 8pm.
  • jpketz
    jpketz Posts: 73
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've struggled with night time cravings off and on for years. I can offer some conventional wisdom which has helped me but this is a tough one and you're definitely not alone. Watch the sleep meds, too. They're fine for establishing a rhythm but overuse can backfire on you.

1. Make sure you're eating at regular intervals throughout the day, several small meals is best. Try to eat most of of your carbs in the early part of the day. Most night eaters starve themselves during the day, setting up the whole nasty cycle, so make sure you eat first thing in the morning and every 3 hours throughout the day. If you can kick that habit and can rule out hunger, and you still have cravings at night, you may be eating for emotional reasons. And that takes me officially out of my league.

2. Try to incorporate more protein and fiber in your latest meal and less simple carbs. The full sensation will last longer. Most nutritionists agree nowadays that the whole "don't eat past 8:00" thing is a myth. Calories can't tell time. Not to say it's a wise practice, but mainly because the foods we choose at that time of day are usually unhealthy and we eat too much of them. (Oh my god can I murder me a bag of Trader Joe's Cheese Crunchies before you can say "diabetic coma")

3. Daily exercise helps regulate your body's hunger signals, plus you'll feel less like stuffing your face with crap if you're otherwise taking good care of yourself.

4. Drink water. Sometimes cravings for junk can be masking dehydration. I know...I know...water or a warm tray of brownies? ...hmmm

5. Train for something...most of us have weight loss and fitness goals, but I've found it also helps to have an event or challenge out there to focus on. A 10K race, a long organized bike ride, a backpacking trip, a 3-day shopping marathon, anything that can provide motivation and a hedge against self sabotage.

Good luck and hang in there. And buy some wax earplugs (?).
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    ooops double posted....:blushing:

Who says learning new websites isn't fun. :laugh:
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I heard that's a good idea not to eat that late.

Tell that to an European! :wink: :laugh:
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    here's what I do. I make sure I have eaten enough through out the day.
    I keep veggies and dip and peanut butter on hand.

It helps me every time....
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    i had this problem while in college too. brutal! WHat works for me is simply having dinner later. I eat dinner around 7:00 pm, that way by 11 or 12 i'm not starving. but if you're still a bit hungry, go for cut veggies and a glass of water or skim milk. it's fill you up without making you fat :)
  • thalli1
    thalli1 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I just saw a show about sleep that said that if you aren't getting enough sleep, you'll eat more. Maybe your problem is sleep deprivation. It said that not getting 7 and 1/2 to 8 hours per night is being linked to all kinds of health problems. It specifically mentioned that there's some hormone or chemical or something that tells you when you are full. If you aren't sleeping enough that chemical has been proven to decrease so your body doesn't get the signal to stop eating. I'm not sure how you can solve the problem of lack of sleep in college. I always did reading late at night in college, especially my most boring textbook. That usually put me to sleep!
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    seriosuly!
    this sounds weird
    but i love to eat ice

get a small cup of ice and eat it
    i like it...i have crunched ice from my fridge
    i munch on it!

Wow...I'm a big ice chewer too. It stems from a disorder called pica and most often means you have an iron defeciency. It also hell on your teeth. You might want to get your iron tested to make sure you are not anemic.