What can I take for lunch?

Options
Hi I am new to this and wondered if anyone could give me some ideas as to what I could have for my lunch at work. I have been having a green salad with thinly sliced meat or a sandwich, yoghurt and a piece of fruit.

Thanks

Replies

• Care563
    Care563 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you have a microwave? I bring left over dinner.
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I bring pitas stuffed with hummus and veggies, soups, salads, fruits, and veggies. Today I had some clam chowder soup and about a cup's worth of veggies (carrots, cauliflower, and cucumbers). Do you have a refrigerator? That will determine a lot of what you can/can't bring!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I take leftovers too. And usually a mid-morning/mid-afternoon snack. My favorites are carrots and hummus and string cheese (Well, honestly my favorites are triple chocolate cake and a side of sugar, but I can't take those LOL).
  • heididw
    heididw Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Homemade Soda Bread with fennel seeds (made with yoghurt) covered with Tuna & Cottage Cheese filling.

Mix 250gr of Cottage Cheese with a tin of tuna and add a tsp of wholegrain mustard - gorgeous and healthy!!!
  • klkopa
    klkopa Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    since I'm at school with little time between classes and no microwave, i drink shakeology and bring other small snacks to have throughout the day in my lunchbox :)
  • sambo155
    Options
    I've been taking Campbell's Select Harvest Lite soups in microwave bowls. Or a sandwich using either Healthy Life bread with Omega 3 and flaxseed or Nature's Own 100% whole grain sandwich rounds, with 1 portion size of Tyson's Grilled & Ready chicken and whatever veggies I think would be good on it. I'm looking for more suggestions, too!
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I made a big pot of chili yesterday and froze it in single serve containers. I throw one in my lunch bag in the morning.

I'll also take leftovers from the night before.

I buy grilled sliced chicken. I'll make a salad and throw some of that in with it.

If I'm really stuck. I'll put 1/2 cup instant rice, 1/2 cup water. 1 cup frozen veg. 1 cup of lean protein. (Grilled chicken. Cooked shrimp. Edamame.) a tbsp of thai chilli sauce. all in my lunch container. When it's lunch time I heat it all up and it's stir fry.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Home made soup. Soup keeps you fuller than solids. Scientific fact and thoroughly tested by me. Cook up 10 portions over the weekend... Lasts all weeks.
    Roast 5 peppers, 4 onions, 4 cloves of garlic and one chilli in balsamic vinegar, and some one calorie spray. When caramelised add to a pan with 4 cans of chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, 2 chicken stock pots\cubes, black pepper, worcestershire or hp brown sauce and blitz. Add 100g wholemeal tiny pasta shells and a can of chick peas and cook through. Carbs, protein...
    Serves 10 (big bowls)
    158 cals
    1g fat
    0g sat fat..
    Can't remember the rest of the top of my head.
    I make it quite spicy, everyone loves it! I'm living off it at the moment x
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    Mini Sandwiches: Bring whole grain crackers, sliced or spreadable cheese, meat, sliced apples or pears, sticks of bell pepper, tuna salad, etc. and when you're ready to eat, assemble them into little sandwiches.

Sweet Potato: Pop one in the microwave for 5 minutes, top with chopped pecans and a sprinkle of cinammon, eat!

Oatmeal: Not really a lunch food, but easy to make a work. I keep seperate containers of oats, chopped nuts and brown sugar at my desk so I can make myself a serving (instant oatmeal is fine but 1 minute oats are lessed processed).

Most sandwiches also work well as salads. For example, I make tuna like normal, but instead of bread, I make a big bed of lettuce with chopped red onion, tomato, avocado (or whatever other veggies you like) and top with a scoop of the tuna. Works well for taco salad, chicken salad, etc. There are endless varities you can customize to your tastes.

I also like to make a bunch of hard boiled eggs on Sunday so during the week I can grab one or two for my lunch to make sure I get protein.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Are you unhappy with your current lunch?

I often make a salad for lunch, but I'm not a big lettuce fan. Spinach is good though! I'll add from the following groups:

Some crunch - tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, apple.
    Some protein - chicken, boiled egg, ham, nuts
    Something special - marinated artichokes, olives, capers, anchovies
    Maybe some mixed seeds on top.

Dress with mostly lemon juice, little dash of olive or walnut oil.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    leftovers!
    high fiber wraps with hummus, deli meat, and veggies
    salads - think outside of the box.
    sandwiches (quality bread, deli meat, and lots of veggies)
    soups (homemade)
    tuna salad & whole grain crackers
    Grain Salad: http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/18000/quick+couscous+tabouli+salad
    Quiche with Salad on the side
    hummus with pita and veggies: http://family.go.com/food/recipe-759842-mediterranean-bento-t/
    pasta
    sushi

with fruit, cheese, veggies, cottage cheese, crackers, and/or greek yogurt

Lots of fun lunch ideas here:

http://easylunchboxes.smugmug.com/The-Best-Lunchbox-System/Yummy-Lunch-Ideas/10136835_YSuyb#!i=881860935&k=9UfE6

http://pinterest.com/search/?q=lunch+ideas
  • serenity422
    serenity422 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered how amazing spaghetti squash is, so I'll often cook one up on the weekend and make spaghetti (using the squash instead of actual pasta, of course). Then all i need to do during the week is grab the leftovers for lunch. It tastes amazing, and reheats very well. I especially like to mix in ground turkey. I've never really liked squash, but I actually love spaghetti squash now (still don't really care for all the other squashes, though, lol). I always have such a craving for bread/pasta at lunch, and this really fools me into thinking that I've had some.

Something else I'll often eat for lunch at work is a broth-based soup with plenty of veggies in it.
  • owl1
    owl1 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I'm going to try taking soups as of next week. Going to have another week of green salad with either thinly sliced ham or chicken and a low fat yoghurt, grapes / raisins for snacks.

Going to also take low cal hot choc drinks for work for a little sugar hit at only 44cals :)

So far I've lost 2lbs and maintained after a bad week so hoping I get more into it this week.
  • mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    2 pieces of ryvita, 1 tblsp of light cream cheese, topped with smoked salmon and sweet onion....yum! the best and so healthy!