Does everyone do protein shakes?

Options
They sound yummy, but all the ones I'm finding have tons of calories- yes... I know GOOD calories, but still. I can't bring myself to drink one. I'd rather get my calories from chewing something.

So does everyone pretty much do it?

Replies

• justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I love making protein smoothies/shakes. Some can be high-calorie but are usually low in fat and have a huge amount of protein. I use vanilla protein powder from Target, and it's delicious.
  • kendernau
    kendernau Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't do protein shakes. Occasionally a protein bar, but that is really just a backup, in case I'm out and can't get anything better when I need it.
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I don't do protein shakes. Occasionally a protein bar, but that is really just a backup, in case I'm out and can't get anything better when I need it.

see, that's me. I'd only do it as a meal replacement if I didn't have time to grab lunch or something. I can't imagine drinking that THEN eating my usual lunch/dinner.

I'm just trying to grasp the concept. Not slamming anyone at all! I have a LOT to learn :)
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Depends on your goals.

I am losing fat, lowering body fat, and keeping my lean muscle, and adding on muscle to look tighter, and boost my daily resting metabolism level.

To do this, you need enough protein.

General recommendations are roughly about 1 gram per pound of lean body mass. For me thats about 100 grams of protein a day.

This helps you keep the muscle you have. repair it more efficiently, and can assist with muscle building. (though depending on your makeup, goals, etc. you could need even more protein)

At a calorie deficit, to lose weight, I do not have enough food calories available to eat all the chicken, beef etc I need to get that much protein a day. So I supplement with one to two protein shakes a day, along with my foods and meals, to give me the protein I need.

When I take in more protein, I find I lose fat faster, body fat levels drop more consistently, my inches loss, and body size change are more dramatic, and quicker - and I have less muscle soreness, and still make great improvement in my exercise gains.

My goal is not just to "lose weight" as I do not want to lose my lean muscle mass, and I also want to look tight, gain strength. So for me, extra protein is needed.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    i do it as a post work out drink, not as a meal replacement. i can adjust the calories of the shake based on how much i burned.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Same as engineman. I use as a way to boost my protein for the day and as a post workout recovery shake. Not all have high calories though and some are actually yummy.
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I drink them pretty much everyday:flowerforyou: protein bars as well!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start on protein shakes since I'll be weight training 3 days a week. Does anyone know of some protein powder that is on the lower end, calorie-wise?
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I like to chew, too. :tongue:
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    You can control how many calories they have by how much of the ingredients you use.

in the morning I have 130 calories with just protein powder, and almond milk.

After a hard workout 300-500 calories with two scoops of powder, yogurt, fruit, milk, peanut butter ....
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I'd like to start on protein shakes since I'll be weight training 3 days a week. Does anyone know of some protein powder that is on the lower end, calorie-wise?
    My husband is a huge fan of muscle milk.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I drink my protein shake as a meal replacement for lunch. I shake it up with soy milk with a total calories of 260. Not bad for lunch and it fills me up until dinner. I drink Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey protein. I think its yummy. It's just like drinking a strawberry or vanilla milkshake.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I've been using 'Super Mass Muscle Exploder Ultra Anabolic Atomic Whey' for several months. I still don't look like the dude on the bottle.. what's up with that??
  • rawreg
    rawreg Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use them, take one scoop before my workout at 100 calories, and one after for another 100, go to bodybuilding.com and go to protein products and you can see all brands and amount of calories in each serving! Hope this helps!
  • br0seidon
    Options
    If all you can find is high calorie protein powder, you're looking at the wrong brands :P
  • ChattyKitten
    ChattyKitten Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I drink the special K ones...if you drink em slower (i.e taking the same time a meal would) you end up feeling pretty full surprisingly! Plus they are usually chocolate flavored so I get a sweet tooth fix lol :)
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I don't! I get a large portion of my protein just from meat, greek yogurt, and cottage cheese. I'm not a big fan of shakes, really.
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options

The super whey protein shots available at walmart are 110 calories for 26G of protein. That is 100% of calories coming from protein, but they don't taste very good. At least you can down them in one gulp.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I like Jay Robb protein powder the best out of all I have tried............and I have tried a LOT of different ones.

The vanilla I add raw heavy cream, a bit of vanilla, whirl it in the blender and put it in the freezer for a short bit and is better than a milk shake.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you want to introduce protein shakes without sacrificing too many calories, try Promasil...90 calories, 20g protein, 1g fat, and 0 carbs. Got it at GNC, but I am sure it can be bought online.