Are unhealthy food diaries open to criticism?

Options

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    This is going to vary from person to person. Some people are open to it and some are not.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I really try not to be too critical, but I do put mfer's on blast for not eating their veggies! Eat your damn veggies!
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    All these Namby Pamby answers! Why do people feel the need to creep around on here. I want to be told how it is and I expect to be able to do the same to my MFP friends, it's that kind of sentimental attitude from others that let people think it's ok to get overweight, underweight etc in the first place, maybe if people faced the cold hard truth they wouldn't need closed diaries or people telling them it's ok to eat half a cow as long as they start again tomorrow. Rant over, welcome to MFP :happy:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Open is open. And it seems you have the right tact to do it right.
  • snaggly
    snaggly Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It will vary from person to person. However, I agree with the suggestion that if you are going to say something, send him/her a private message. Don't comment in her profile page or post on the forum.

I have my diary locked as private as I don't want anyone to make any comments about my eating habits since I find myself eating under 1200 cal many days.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    “Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.” -Winston Churchill
  • jakki_brown
    jakki_brown Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on your relationship with said person. For example, some of my best friends are on here and I feel comfortable talking to them about it. People don't don't know outside of MFP are a little different. They are obviously in control of what goes in their mouth and you have no idea what's going on in their lives, so I think it's less appropriate.

It is a little ridiculous when you get the food bandits out that want to critizise what you do and tell you when works for them. I don't need someone to ask me how filling my day is when I have a peice of pizza (in a condensending way). Sometimes, I just want to have a damn peice of pizza.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Such a great question, I always wonder what to do when I see someone with low calories and low nutrition in their meal plan. No veggies, no fruit, only processed food and sauces......I don't comment if they are under their goal.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your thoughts everyone!

I don't know this person outside MFP, and have chosen not to say anything at the moment, but will keep an eye on their diary as long as it is unlocked and give a gentle nudge in the future if it looks shady. I personally find stuff like this is easier to hear coming from strangers than close family or friends, but of course not everyone is like that.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    Unless they ask for it OR you know them personally, no.
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1000 cals for the last 2.5 months and I feel great. My diary is open. Please criticize me. Crush me.:laugh:
    I accept anything but bro-science. Convince me that I'm doing it wrong and I swear I'll change it.
    Up to date stats:
    44 y
    Almost 6 ft
    214 lbs
    light active with 2-3 workouts/week with carbs before and meal after
    Goal: 172 lbs mid-end of Apr 2012
    P.S. Ohh and my diary is not unhealthy. Far far from it.I don't mean to high jack.:tongue:
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    If someone is on my friend list, I say something. If it's something they're doing regularly and I can't support it, I defriend them, because I'm not the kind of friend they're looking for. I want people to fuel their bodies, and I would rather see someone going a bit over their calorie goal than going too far under it every day.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    If I logged 500 calories I would hope someone would be like, "Hey! Bad day?" or something. Don't make it sound negative, but rather like "Oh did you forget to log?" Or "Everything all right?"

Usually I just forget / don't log stuff xD
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I leave my diary open to hold myself accountable lol.
    This being my first week I am just being absolutely honest with everything I put in my mouth and eat just as I normally would (well I did for the first couple of days). I wanted an honest & true starting point. I needed to see just how "bad" my habits were for me before I could begin changing my lifestyle. And let's just say the first couple of days OPENED my eyes. I have been incredibly conscience of what I eat lately. I still eat crap food but I get my taste of it and put it away instead of mindlessly stuffing my face until there's none left.
    Constructive advice and pointers are more than welcome! But I'm not on here to diet. So no snappy judgements please ;)
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    This is going to vary from person to person. Some people are open to it and some are not.

Agree with Miss Fit. If someone has a huge amount to lose and is under in her/his calorie intake, that should be just fine. But if they think they are eating "healthy" and they eat all junk or are consistently under, I would just ignore any commenting.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    my diary is open because I want suggestions. I would think other people would feel the same way
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I have said stuff when a person is under 1200 consistently before... eg... those are great food choices, but you should probably try and eat at least 1200, you don't want to mess with your metabolism
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Clever!!!:flowerforyou:

Agree with Miss Fit. If someone has a huge amount to lose and is under in her/his calorie intake, that should be just fine. But if they think they are eating "healthy" and they eat all junk or are consistently under, I would just ignore any commenting.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I don't think criticism is helpful. Sensitive comments about undereating, possibly. And if they're not taken on board, I'd delete the friend. I'm not here to judge other people. But I'm also not going to support significant eating disorders.
  • abbigail_r
    abbigail_r Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If they opened it (which you have to do yourself) I say yes. I am not real life friends with any of these people on here. I come here for motivation and support. I opened mine because I wanted suggestion. If I dont like them I can delete them. I do comment once in a while on peoples but I send a private message as not to embarrass them . I think if youre polite it shouldnt hurt.