Filling Breakfast??

Options
I normally eat my breakfast around 7.30 am. This usually consists of cereal of some kind. Anyone got any ideas for a breakfast that is a bit more filling because I am normally starving by 10.00 am!! I don't find porridge particularly filling either and don't really like it that much unless it is smothered in brown sugar and double cream!!

I don't mind getting up a bit earlier to make something nice that will fill me up a bit more.

Thank you in anticipation of your suggestions people!

:bigsmile:

Replies

• trudywales
    Options
    I do well with whole wheat toast and peanut butter. My trainter suggests 2 boiled eggs but I just can't bring myself to eat that. It is time for you to be getting hungry around 10 am. You should be eating something every three hours. I can tell when it's time to eat without looking at the clock. However, you have lost more than I have so you must being things right! Keep it up!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Protein is your friend when it comes to feeling fuller for longer.

Eggs - scrambled in the microwave takes a matter of minutes. Add in some spinach, ham, grated cheese, herbs, tomato for variety.

Nut butters are high in good fats, so go easy on them, but spread on a slice of wholemeal toast they are another quick and easy breakfast. I ring the changes with almond and hazelnut butters as well as the usual peanut, and I do like a teeny smear of raspberry jam on top.

Other good toast toppings are a slice of ham, slice of cheese, and a smear of marmite. Mmmmmm!

Yoghurt - natural, greek style has the most protein. Add in some nuts and seeds, or a few berries
  • gigglepiggle
    gigglepiggle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I try have fruit when I get up in the morning, about 7.30ish, and then have a cereal bar mid morning if I get hungry. Eggs always keep me full too so scrambled eggs and a slice of toast is always good :)
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Oat So Simple porridge, with a banana sliced up and thrown in :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If I need something to see me through to lunchtime, I'll make sure there's some protein in there - egg and toast soldiers, omelette, even a sandwich with cold meat!

However, if you're hungry at 10, why not have a snack then? That's what I do when I just have time for cereal. My favourite is carrot sticks with hummus dip, yum!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Eggs. They provide a perfect mix of protein and fat to get you going in the morning. You should also prepare a small snack to bridge breakfast to lunch. Five to six smaller meals are better than three larger ones.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Any form of protein and a little carbohydrate is your friend in this regard. An egg can be microwave-poached in under a minute. Add a slice of bread, toasted or otherwise, and you'll be set. Or a piece of cheese/slice of ham/chicken/turkey/bacon - whatever you prefer and fits your schedule with a slice of bread. Alternatively, maybe add yoghurt and some fruit to your cereal base (and try to use a fairly solid cereal - oat-based granola or muesli, rather than puffed anything!). One of the best breakfasts I have in my arsenal is two slices of grilled back bacon on half an avocado (with some dried herbs) spread onto a toasted wholemeal pitta or slice of toast. Quite a high overall calorie count, but it will certainly keep you going.

The other thing I sometimes do (usually at the weekends, when there's more time) is make rolled-oat pancakes - use the giant rolled oats with a little flour, baking powder and a small dash of brown sugar (I make this mix up ahead of time and keep it in a jar), and add one egg and approx 1/4 cup of milk for each 1/2 cup of mixture. Then melt a little butter in the frying pan and cook. These will give you protein and carbs in one easy chunk, and are lower-cal than you might think. I find one pancake enough (about 220 cals) - these proportions make two medium cakes - but you may need more. I often add a ittle cinnamon or other spice to the mix, and have it with a little fruit jelly, or maple syrup, if I'm feeling naughty!
  • waster196
    waster196 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My favourite breakfast, though I never have time to make it, is mustard scrambled egg tortilla.

Stick a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard in your scrambled eggs with some mushrooms and fill a tortilla. This will come in around 300 calories depending on your ingredients and keeps me going til lunch (when I'm not too lazy to make it :))
  • Ahluvly
    Ahluvly Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I'd go for something high in protein like eggs on toast, and/or lean grilled bacon. God, I could murder a bacon sandwich now actually lol Peanut butter on toast is good too, with a banana. It will keep you going but.........I usually find I nibble every 3 hours so that's normal I'd say for fuelling your body :)
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I love to make my own egg and bacon muffins! Just fry an egg (in spray oil) grill one or two bacon medallions and serve in a split wholemeal English muffin. Comes in at around 250 cals.
  • jobster68
    jobster68 Posts: 145
    Options
    My favourite breakfast, though I never have time to make it, is mustard scrambled egg tortilla.

Stick a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard in your scrambled eggs with some mushrooms and fill a tortilla. This will come in around 300 calories depending on your ingredients and keeps me going til lunch (when I'm not too lazy to make it :))

Sounds gorgeous - I will definitely be trying this!!
  • jobster68
    Options
    Thanks everyone - seems like eggs it is. I try not to eat bread as it really upsets my IBS so will try and find a substitute for that or just have ham and eggs!

I do have a snack if I am hungry at 10.00 but I am trying to get out of the habit of snacking too much.
  • jobster68
    Options
    Oat So Simple porridge, with a banana sliced up and thrown in :)

I like to Oat So Simple but I find it does not fill me up - can't eat bananas they are a bit of a phobia of mine!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Instant-style porridge doesn't fill me up either, but if you make it with giant rolled oats (as they are called in the UK), it seems to do a much better job - the oats are less processed and more bulky.
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ive got quite a few, i find if eat cereal im starving an hour later! generally anything with protein will keep you feeling full for longer.
    omlette or scrambled egg with 1 or 2 of the following - ham / cheese / mushrooms / tomatoes / baked beans
    poached or boiled egg with toast
    toast with peanut butter or cottage cheese or baked beans
    proper oat porridge with a grated apple or pear mixed in and a bit of golden syrup / brown sugar
  • niknak2308
    niknak2308 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Have to agree with the eggs lol...

One of my (and my kids favourite) is eggy bread. I make it simply by beating 2 eggs, then dipping both sides of
    a slice of bread in it, then lightly frying it in the pan. You hardly need any oil, especially with a non stick pan.
    I get about 3 slices of bread to 2 eggs so works out well in terms of "calorie cost".
    Then for me I add a load of stirfry type veg to it as it's next to no cals and bulks it out - hey presto a nice balanced
    meal in about 5 mins :)
  • Josteyn
    Josteyn Posts: 44
    Options
    Poached eggs, wholemeal toast, plenty of tea with skimmed milk.

Fruit juice (tomato is good, if you like it)
  • Merleygirl61
    Options
    Try Multi grain Toast with Cottage cheese & sliced tomato on top.. Very filling and a good one for something different..
  • Tori_356
    Tori_356 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I eat hard boiled eggs - usually 2 large eggs. Today I also had 2 pieces of 40 calorie wheat bread with smart balance. I ate this around 6:45 and it's 8 now and I feel pretty full. I think this will hold me over until lunch at noon.
  • Dashal
    Dashal Posts: 13
    Options
    I eat hard boiled eggs - usually 2 large eggs. Today I also had 2 pieces of 40 calorie wheat bread with smart balance. I ate this around 6:45 and it's 8 now and I feel pretty full. I think this will hold me over until lunch at noon.

This ^^

Egg soldiers all the way. Who wants to grow up? ;-)