Greek yogurt is an acquired taste

Options

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Fage or Chobani. Sometimes I just buy a big container of plain and add honey and fruit.

I've also tried Liberte and Méditérranée but my grocery store doesn't stock enough of the lower fat/cal ones. They're like 5oz and 230 calories - eep!

I have texture issues with regular yogurt. It looks like what I think snot would feel like in my mouth. I'm also lactose intolerant, but I can power through Greek yogurt without issue.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i get nonfat plain greek yogurt and put a cup of frozen or fresh berries in it.. is it the most delicious thing in the world?? no .its an acquired taste like you stated. all i know is that it fills me and it is extremely healthy for me so thats why i eat it..
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Look for Brown Cow. Very good!

Not a lover of Greek Yogurt but tried it again the other day (Brown Cow brand) and it was pretty good.
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is acquired... My fav is still Dannon Oikos. I have some of the Athena (I think) brand in plain. I use it for cooking. I mostly make spinach artichoke dip with it. (wayyyy less calories than any other version) I also make ranch dip from scratch with the plain for big events.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I like the honey flavors and add honey.
  • jill___
    jill___ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, Chobani is the BEST. I LOVE Chobani -- lemon and mango are my favorite!!! I don't like regular yogurt, it always has a sour after-taste. Greek yogurt is so much better!
  • AngelicaDulas
    Options
    I must say i'm surprised no one has mentioned the best benifite of Chobani! It contains FIVE active live cultures which are beneficial for your digestive system and has so much more protein for the calories/sugar of a fruited cup verse a "normal" yogurt. I can't stand to eat the sugary thin Yoplait any more, and it used to be my favorite. Keep trying different ones and I'll bet you'll find something you love.
  • gracechild
    Options
    Chobani peach and blueberry flavors. Yum!
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I like Fred Meyer (Kroger) brand flavored greek yogurts...I have also tried Fage (from Costco), but I prefer the Fredy Meyer brand (and its cheaper!)
  • ilbcnuz
    ilbcnuz Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like the Dannon and I add a scoop of vanilla whey protein powder. It takes away the tanginess Totally yummy!!
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    add 2 tsbp to plain yogurt and a bit of splenda, you have fluffy pb goodness!
  • ChrissyLu723
    ChrissyLu723 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Plain greek yogurt is an AWESOME replacement for sour cream :) I make spinach veggie dip and use the plan greek yogurt, no mayo, no sour cream, still yummo and LESS calories, plus better for ya.
  • courtneyt77
    courtneyt77 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% is a great sour cream substitue on tacos or for making dips. I put it in my preworkout smoothie as well. I also like the Fage with the fruit on the side and Dannon Okios with black cherry is like cheesecake texture and taste. It's indulgent but way better for you! It didn't take long to make the switch!
  • kmard81
    kmard81 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    my husband and I just started eating the chobani on a regular basis and I really like it! I like the texture of the greek yogurt much better.... not a fan of the apple/cinnamon though....

I'm not a fan of yogurt, but I really don't have trouble eating the chobani with the fruit on the bottom

ditto about the apple cinnamon! I was excited to come across it, bought 4 and it was very tart...didnt like it. But will still eat the other 3 so I am not wasting them. I agree about the sugar...the chobani has 17-19g so I am thinking of switching to plain and also adding my own fruits.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    So, this is only the 2nd time I've had it. The first time I tried Dannon Oikos with strawberries. Now I'm trying Chobano with black cherries.

I didn't like the Dannon brand, but Chobano seems to be a bit better. I think it might take me a while to get used to the texture of Greek Yogurt.

Is there any brands better than Chobano?

Ditch the Dannon, Yoplait and Chobani.............

Try some Greek Gods or Fage. Add a bit of honey and some fresh berries and it is better than ice cream.
  • gregmroberts
    Options
    Fage is by far the best and one of the best for you. Mix in splenda and berries and you are set!!
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Fage and then my second choice is Chobani.

I used to buy both of them with fruit in them......but then switched to the 0% no fat plain versions and put my own fruit in them.

If you want a snack.......I mix 1/2 cup of non-fat (0%) plain greek yogurt with a sprinkle (about 1 tsp or to taste) of sugar free cheesecake jello pudding mix..........It tastes a lot like a real cheesecake and then you can sprinkle your crushed graham cracker in it too :wink:
  • INSANITY43
    Options
    I eat low fat Chobani's Vanilla with Kashi Go lean and frozen blueberries many mornings! Love the creamy texture! I hate regular yogurt!
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% Plain is really good! I like to mix it with a container of Carbmaster (found in Kroger's). Also, you can add in sugar free jello powder. Yum, now I'm hungry!
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Fat free plain Chobani is my fav...my friends all think I'm weird but I just like it plain without anything on it. Sometimes I put some fresh blueberries on top. I don't like Fage as much and the Dannon kind is horrible imo.