Does everyone do protein shakes?

Options
1235»

Replies

• tflo9
    tflo9 Posts: 1
    Options
    I add 2 spoons of low fat cottage cheese to my shake in the morning along with spinach,carrots.and fruit ,
    I hope that is enough protein to keep me going until break time
  • skmarler
    Options
    Proflex20, Melaleuca - Protein Drink, 2 Scoops are only 150 calories. Add frozen strawberries or ice and it goes thick and yummy! Nothing like kicking back with a thick strawberry milkshake for breakfast and all under 200 calories. Love 'em!!! They also have five different flavors of protein bars and they are outrageously good. No after taste, just good!
  • kstep88
    kstep88 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I love my whey protein shakes.

100% whey protein- 100 cals (1 scoop) 18 grams of protein
    Almond milk 60 calories ( 1 cup) 1 gram of protein
    1 tsp ground cinnamon (I think the cinnamon has 3 calories or so)

160-163 cals. A great snack before a meal.and helps control hunger.

The almond milk makes a much better taste. Sometimes I add half of a chopped banana. (thats about 60 cals)
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i use them to supplement my calories. Also, syntrax nectar is 100 calories per scoop.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    I don't. I prefer to get my protein naturally within my diet, not supplements; and I don't have a problem getting the protein I need. :)

I'm with Dizzie. :smile:
  • MollyDurham
    MollyDurham Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I buy Body Fortress @ Walmart and was forcing them down after my workouts (mostly weight lifting and cardio) and always dreaded having to drink them because they always tasted so grainy! The I discovered the blender bottle (also @ Walmart right next to the protein powder) maybe the best $6.88 I've ever spent. Not only did I realize right away that I wasn't mixing the shakes enough but bow I can add things like peanut butter, yogurt, bananas etc and still get it completely mixed without having to drag out the blender. I do have to shake it for a good while when adding the thicker ingredients but hey that's just an arm workout that I definitely need! The blender bottle is also bpa free so I can make the smoothie and stick it in the fridge for later. I do one in the morning for breakfast with one scoop,8 oz skim milk and 4 oz of coffee. And then another every day right after the work out with 2 scoops,16 oz of skim milk, and a big tblsp of creamy peanut butter! I can tell a HUGE difference is my muscle memory and lack of muscle fatigue! You should definitely give it a shot!
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Here's an article from Choice, with advice from the Australian Institute of Sports, which you might find interesting:
    http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/food-and-health/food-and-drink/nutrition/protein-bars-and-shakes.aspx

The verdict: With a few exceptions (marathon runners, body builders and adolescent elite athletes), we get enough protein through our regular diets, and don't need supplements. They conclude:

"If you’re tempted by chocolate bars when you’re exercising, protein bars and drinks can make an OK, if expensive, alternative. But have them as occasional treats only, just like chocolate".
  • rachelnelson76
    rachelnelson76 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    @Molly- the milk, powder, and coffee sounds good!

I have one for breakfast/post workout every morning. With a scoop of powder, organic Greek yogurt, fruit,and splash of milk I manage around 30 grams of protein. I don't enjoy the pre-made shakes.
  • ngsnewlife
    Options
    i use the Horleys Sculpt Shaping Protein ... it has 95 cal if you have it with cold water... its good
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I do it simply to make sure I get enough protein in a day since I strength train. It's hard to eat 100g's of protein while not going over in carbs for a day! Protein shakes = very low carb.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    The high calories are exactly why I don't make myself smoothies or protein shakes a lot. But I wasn't seeing much progress building any muscle, even though I eat a ton of protein, so I'm experimenting with adding in some whey. If I don't want all the calories, I just do a scoop in a glass of milk or almond milk. I did make myself a pretty nice, lower cal smoothie the other day though.

About 1c frozen mango
    Half a banana
    Half a scoop vanilla whey protein
    1c almond milk.

Came out to around 200 calories I think? You can also use things like green tea or ice in place of milk, and that will help you cut out some calories.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    closest i've gotten to protein shakes is greek yogurt. this stuff isn't an absolute necessity.
  • kristiedavis1
    Options
    I drink two protein shakes as meal replacements almost every day. 90 calories for the powder and then whatever you chose to mix in. I do coffee only in the mornings so just 90 calories. They helped me reach my first 100 pound goal when I got stuck and I plan to use them for the next 50. Here's the web site I order from.....www.monda.bodybyvi.com but you can go to visalus.com and find a distributor in your area. They are apparently everywhere.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I've never tasted them yet, maybe I might try it soon as a snack or something.
  • glowingyogi
    glowingyogi Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's a little pricey but I love the ones by MegaFood. The Chocolate or the Chai are yummy and they are higher in fiber and lower calories than most so they are more satisfying. I blend them with unsweetend Almond Milk and frozen blueberries. Yum!
    Last year I lost 20 lbs with the help of these.
  • rdzilla
    rdzilla Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    What works for me is to have two to three a day depending on if I've worked out or not. As other posters have mentioned I try to adhere to the 1g / 1lb lean body mass. I suspect my lean body mass is somewhere in the low 200's range so in order to make that level of intake daily protein shakes are a necessity. Otherwise, I'm going to be eating chicken / fish / egg whites until my stomach explodes. More so on days I work out and burn 1k+ calories easily and have my intake set to about 3200 calories to eat back my exercise calories. Again, this is what works for me. Everyone's body is different so experiment and get to know yourself.
  • mdulanto9177
    Options
    I have a protein shake for breakfast everyday....Elite Whey Protein...I add a banana and oatmeal...and that's my breakfast ...keeps me full for about 3 hours. Perfect timing for my snack!