Is eating breakfast a must?

Options

Replies

• ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    It starts your metabolism burning for the day, so yup, you should try to do it... it makes you hungry when you eat for that very reason.. it's a good thing!! What about a protein shake or a smoothie if you don't actually want to eat?

Not true what so ever.... for some people it does work kicking up your metabolism but for some not. I find if i have breakfast i am so hungry all day(super hungry) and when i don't eat i am not hungry at all during the day and i drop weight fast and keep it off.

Read Eat for your blood type... totally true...
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Geez! EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT! What works for some will not work for everyone so if not eating breakfast works for you, then don't eat breakfast. If it does, then go for it. Don't listen to everybody else, because as you can see they all think differently. Just listen to your body.

yes must totally agree with you.... 100 percent... ::))
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Yes! The word breakfast literally mean "breaking fast". when you go to sleep, your body goes into a state of fast, if you dont eat shortly after waking to break that fast, you'll stay in a fast, which means storing...and your body doesn't store muscle when you fast, its stores fat. but don't worry if you're not a morning eater, you dont have to have a massive meal...a piece of toast with peanut butter...or just plain toast...is enough to do the job...and if you keep doing that, believe me you'll get to the point where breakfast will be easy and enjoyable.

What a bro tastic response.
  • shabbarshaikh
    shabbarshaikh Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Yes! The word breakfast literally mean "breaking fast". when you go to sleep, your body goes into a state of fast, if you dont eat shortly after waking to break that fast, you'll stay in a fast, which means storing...and your body doesn't store muscle when you fast, its stores fat. but don't worry if you're not a morning eater, you dont have to have a massive meal...a piece of toast with peanut butter...or just plain toast...is enough to do the job...and if you keep doing that, believe me you'll get to the point where breakfast will be easy and enjoyable.

Absolutely True.

As other said, if you are a Day time worker, without break fast for a long time will lead you to Diabetic. This is what happend to me.

Best of Luck.
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    As others have said everybodys different. I personally find that if I don't eat it I'm starving and more likely to eat junk later on but for others this is not the case. So just do what's right for you. As long as you stick within your calorie goals it doesn't matter what time you eat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Absolutely True.

As other said, if you are a Day time worker, without break fast for a long time will lead you to Diabetic. This is what happend to me.

Best of Luck.

Not eating breakfast for a long time will make you a diabetic? Skipping breakfast is the sole reason you became a diabetic?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIATLMlM4Z3QvMTNL8OwKL2OPvKxJdVMWurAwCZTZgead6oK7b&t=1
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    It starts your metabolism burning for the day, so yup, you should try to do it... it makes you hungry when you eat for that very reason.. it's a good thing!! What about a protein shake or a smoothie if you don't actually want to eat?
    It's been scientifically proven now that breakfast doesn't kickstart metabolism. Metabolism runs 24 hours.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've found if I eat a carb rich breakfast I end up starved before noon. If I eat a high protein breakfast with eggs ( I make my own egg mc muffins with a little microwave thing I bought, or sometimes I eat eggs and turkey sausage) I don't get as hungry. You need something a bit more substantial than just carbs because your body will burn them off quickly early in the day. Also, if you still end up hungry, try having yogurt mid-morning, about 3 to 4 hours after breakfast, or eat a piece of fruit. I eat the calories to lose 1 lb a week, but I usually lose nearly 2 because I eat small and often.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important fuel for your day. Try a protein drink instead or maybe oatmeal with berries or even a breafast bar. I eat small meals and snacks , something every couple hours
    Myth.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    If your body isnt hungry, dont feed it
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Is there any way to kick start your metabolism without eating breakfast? I really hate eating in the morning. I have tried a few times since joining this site and all it does is make me extreemly hungry for the rest of the day...

Lol, you have your hands full with answers and probably more questions than the one you asked on this thread. Since you don't enjoy breakfast, don't have it. Plain and simple. This is a lifestyle that you are creating with the goal of consistency and longevity. Don't do or eat what doesn't fit your tastes and within your life...( Exercise excluded). I love breakfast and always have. So I have something the first hour I'm awake. Then I start my day. Do what you enjoy and if you need to adjust it because you're eating too little or too much then you will adjust.

Love your horses and profile picture!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I want a pancake and some bacon now. Thanks.
    :flowerforyou:
  • deegeyspazms
    deegeyspazms Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think the breakfast theory came about because scientists observed naturally thin people - the majority of whom ate breakfast. So they concluded that breakfast must help keep them thin. I reckon they ate breakfast because they were hungry...
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    I am in the same boat. Breakfast makes me so sick. I am doing okay with it now, but it still makes me sick and hungry like an hour later.
  • R4z0r4Mm0
    R4z0r4Mm0 Posts: 131
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important fuel for your day. Try a protein drink instead or maybe oatmeal with berries or even a breafast bar. I eat small meals and snacks , something every couple hours
    Myth.

IDEA Fitness member

What he said.
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

But for runners - a meal after my morning run is apparently a must.
    So I do a bit of fruit and oatmeal, coffee and water after my run and all is good until Lunch.
  • gunmetalsunrise
    Options
    You can't kickstart your metabolism with breakfast anyway. So eat when you feel like it. Your body can't tell time.

Actually, it sort of can. It reacts differently depending on what your habits are like and the time of day (sunlight).

No.

Lol. Okay there.
  • debshedkg
    debshedkg Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Good morning, I agree that eating breakfast makes also makes me more hungry.

I have read up allot and their is evidence that women who ate breakfast regularly tended to eat fewer calories overall during the day. Those men and women who ate breakfast cereal had lower overall fat intake -- compared to those who ate other breakfast foods.

Eating early in the day keeps us from "starvation eating" later on. But it also jump-starts your metabolism,

When you don't eat breakfast, you're actually fasting for 15 to 20 hours, so you're not producing the enzymes needed to metabolize fat to lose weight.

Breakfast skippers replace calories during the day with mindless nibbling, bingeing at lunch and dinner. They set themselves up for failure.

I have started eating breakfast every morning and my entire day is different, I don't snack so much and I find waking up early to have time to make and eat breakfast is great, about at 6.45am. Oatmeal, Kellogs with fruit or yoghurt and even a healthy vegy sandwich keeps me going until snack time which is about 10am.

My blood sugar is constant and my mood :smile: ,we are all still like children, when babies are hungry, the first thing we always ask is "maybe it is feeding time" same thing with toddlers and even now my kiddos age 9 and 11.

Hope this helped and it really is a great start to the day.

Have a great week, regards

DD
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I think its going to be different for everyone. If you don't like eating breakfast or it doesn't work for you - then experiment til you find what makes you feel good and helps you stay healthy.
    For me, missing breakfast makes me more likely to want to snack later in the day. I'm not quite sure why this is, but I've observed it enough times now to decide that I'm better off if I eat in the morning. I'm also better if I have a reasonably substantial breakfast - usually fruit before I run and oatmeal when I get back.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    actually thats not true..not about breakfast..who cares if you skip breakfast, but yes body can tell time..for instance the body during the early morning hours goes through a phenomenon known as "twilight" where bloodsugars start to raise and insulin has a tendency to increase to make up for that difference..just wanted to correct you sunkisses :).

So what about someone that works overnights, and goes to sleep in the early morning hours?
  • ComeAroundSundown
    ComeAroundSundown Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast unless I wake up hungry. Which is never. Sometimes, I may become hungry after being awake for 2-3 hours, but I wouldn't consider what I eat at that time breakfast. I rarely eat anything before 11am.
    You don't have to eat breakfast, if it makes you sick, just don't eat it. I honestly see it as a completely unnecessary "meal", unless you're about to run a marathon or work out intensely, etc.
    Those saying that it "kick starts your metabolism" - no, it doesn't.