low fat/cal quiche ideas???

Options
any good suggestions? dare not make my usual caramelised onion and Gruyère!

Replies

• sheepysaccount
    sheepysaccount Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    i put canned carrots, peas and fresh tomatoes in mine
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Fresh leafy greens for color and flavor, such as an herb mix or spinach (I love arugula in mine). If you don't saute them beforehand, you can just toss them into the egg mix without having to add as much extra liquid (like milk or cream) since they will exude water as they cook down.

For the liquid, use skim milk instead of whole fat or cream ... (believe it or not, unflavored/unsweetened soy also works great).

Depending on number of eggs used, use more egg whites, less whole eggs ... or go egg whites only. (For example, I usually do 2 eggs to a cup of milk for my filling ... could do 1 whole egg, 1 egg white with the cup of milk.)

Or, for the ultimate "wasteful calorie-cutter", cut down on the liquid and go crustless (for frittata) ... that butter pastry crust adds a ton of calories (although, I know, it's oh so yummy :heart:) ...
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Fresh leafy greens for color and flavor, such as an herb mix or spinach (I love arugula in mine). If you don't saute them beforehand, you can just toss them into the egg mix without having to add as much extra liquid (like milk or cream) since they will exude water as they cook down.

For the liquid, use skim milk instead of whole fat or cream ... (believe it or not, unflavored/unsweetened soy also works great).

Depending on number of eggs used, use more egg whites, less whole eggs ... or go egg whites only. (For example, I usually do 2 eggs to a cup of milk for my filling ... could do 1 whole egg, 1 egg white with the cup of milk.)

Or, for the ultimate "wasteful calorie-cutter", cut down on the liquid and go crustless (for frittata) ... that butter pastry crust adds a ton of calories (although, I know, it's oh so yummy :heart:) ...

def will try- thanks xx
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    What about this?

LEEK / GRUYERE QUICHE (Eating well recipe)

Crust

1 tablespoon butter
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1-2 tablespoons ice water

Filling

2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
    8 ounces leeks, white and light green part only, washed thoroughly and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
    2 large large eggs
    4 large egg whites
    3/4 cup evaporated nonfat milk
    3/4 cup fat-free, or low-fat milk
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    Pinch of cayenne
    1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon fine dry breadcrumbs
    3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese, (about 3 ounces)
    1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation

1.To make crust: Position rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 425°F.

2.Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Cook butter, swirling the pan, for about 30 seconds, or until it is a light nutty brown. Pour into a small bowl and let cool. Stir in canola oil.

3.Whisk flour and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Slowly stir the butter-oil mixture into the flour mixture with a fork until it is crumbly. Gradually stir in enough ice water for the dough to hold together. Gather the dough into a ball.

4.Place the dough between two sheets of plastic wrap and flatten into a disk. Roll into a 12-inch circle. Remove the top plastic sheet and invert dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Remove the remaining plastic. Fold edges under at the rim and crimp.

5.Line the dough with a piece of foil or parchment paper large enough to lift out easily; fill evenly with pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove paper and weights and bake for 3 to 5 minutes longer, or just until lightly browned. (The crust will not be fully baked.) Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.

6.To make filling: Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over low heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are soft and wilted, 15 minutes. Set aside to cool.

7.Whisk eggs and egg whites in a large bowl. Add evaporated milk, fat-free or low-fat milk, 1/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne, stirring gently to avoid creating bubbles.

8.To assemble & bake quiche: Spread mustard over the bottom of the prebaked crust; sprinkle evenly with breadcrumbs. Top with Gruyère, then the cooked leeks. Carefully pour in the egg mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake until just set and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing.

NutritionPer serving: 241 calories; 13 g fat ( 4 g sat , 6 g mono ); 70 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 292 mg sodium; 237 mg potassium.
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    South Beach mini quiche cups
    They are SO good and perfect to grab a few and run out the door :)

Ingredients (to make 12)
    Spray Oil
    1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
    1 cup liquid egg substitute
    3⁄4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
    1⁄4 cup diced red bell peppers
    some chopped mushrooms (about 1 cup when raw)
    1⁄3 cup diced onions
    3 drops hot-pepper sauce (optional)

Instructions
    Preheat Oven to 350 F.

Microwave the spinach for 2 1/2 minutes on high.
    Drain the excess liquid.

Line a 12-cup muffin pan with foil baking cups.
    Spray the cups with cooking spray.

Sautée the mushrooms and onion and red pepper first using just a few sprays of oil. Then let it cool before mixing in.

Combine the egg substitute, cheese, and spinach, and then cooled mushrooms, peppers, onions, in a bowl. Mix well.

Divide evenly among the muffin cups. (You can use an ice cream scoop to help get the portions even.)

Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.

Quiche cups can be frozen and reheated in the microwave.
  • ctriston
    ctriston Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    thanks great ideas!