Starting 30 day Shred today

Options
2»

Replies

• amkelley
    Options
    Well- my husband usually measures me...like my arms, thighs, waist, hips. I think thats it. I dont have any tips or info on where or how I measure because my husband, but I havent measured myself since I had my baby in July 2011- I did in 2010 a few times to see my results when I was losing weight after my 2nd son who was born in Jan 2010. Thats what we would measure though: arms, thighs, waist, hips...I think thats it.
  • amkelley
    Options
    I always put it under circuit training, general I believe.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone,
    Another question...How are you tracking it on the exercise tracker?

Log it as circuit training.
  • amkelley
    Options
    I did day 1 yesterday and my ankle is killing me! However, I did sprain it about 2 months ago... I am taking a rest day today and will see how I feel later... I may just go to the gym tomorrow morning and do the elliptical instead. I will tell you this... you may not feel sore right after you do the video, but BOY do I feel it today! I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to keep going with it but I am afraid my ankle is not strong enough for the impact (she has you doing alot of jumping-jacks, jump rope (without the rope), and kick-backs - which there is NO way I can do!)

Any advice from those who have done it... What can I "sub" in for the cardio parts that I cannot do because of my ankle?

I would suggest punches or some bicycle legs on your back maybe? I would also suggest walking in place or wearing an ankle support too. My knees were awful at first...after about 3 weeks I have ZERO pain in my knees from any of the jumping jacks or jump rope or any other cardio exercise.
  • alphabettie
    alphabettie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm starting it today as well. This is probaby the fourth or fifth time I've started, but I've never been able to finish. The farthest I've gotten is probably L2D5, because I got lightheaded and dizzy. I wasn't hydrating or eating properly that go-round. However, all the other times I've done what I could I lost inches and saw defined muscle tone.
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A bit of advice, Jillian has stated that it is NOT meant to be done everyday, but lots of people think they need to do it for 30 days straight. Many people, myself included experienced knee pain when doing it everyday, it's jsut too high impact for some. You always need a rest day. I combined 30 DS 3x a week with walking and had great results. My butt is more firm and a bit nicer, my legs got amazingly toned and my arms as well. You'll see results for sure!

Where does she say not to do it everyday? I was wondering this myself. I don't have any problem with my knees or ankles and after the 3rd day or so my legs stopped aching. I think this time around I will continue to try and do it everyday as this is the first time I've done it but after that do it a couple times a week as well as other activities. Bang for your buck that is an intense 20 minutes! I really am trying to stay out of the gym and still get and stay toned as I get closer to my goal weight. I'm doing L1D9
  • northwjj
    northwjj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I just finished L1D6 and I am more exhausted today than other days...not sure why. The first day I couldn't find my weights so I didn't use any. I thought, "okay, this is doable." The 2nd and 3rd days I used 2 lbs weights and still I thought this is doable. I felt the burn in my legs but not so much in my arms. So on the 4th day I decided to use 3lb weights....that was tougher, as to be expected. The fifth day I looked for my 3lb weights and I think my children hid them somewhere so I used 5lb weights. BIG mistake I couldn't even finish through all of the strength exercises and my form was horrible. Today I went back to the 2 lb weights. I paid better attention to my form and I feel like my arms burned a bit more. I think I will use the 2lb weights for the duration of the program.

I did take measurements, but already I feel like my clothes fit just slightly looser, and I emphasize slightly. I just keep reminding myself I have 24 more days to go and everyone seems to have great results. I plan on doing it 30 days straight and every other day I add in 35 minutes of walking on the treadmill at 4.0mph.

If I finish this program I would love to try Ripped in 30. But....one step at a time. :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    A bit of advice, Jillian has stated that it is NOT meant to be done everyday, but lots of people think they need to do it for 30 days straight. Many people, myself included experienced knee pain when doing it everyday, it's jsut too high impact for some. You always need a rest day. I combined 30 DS 3x a week with walking and had great results. My butt is more firm and a bit nicer, my legs got amazingly toned and my arms as well. You'll see results for sure!

Where does she say not to do it everyday? I was wondering this myself.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/371318-30-ds-advice-please?hl=30+DS+daily?#posts-5052762

Jillian Michael ifit cards also say while you are exercising that you should work out about 6 days a week, rest days are important!!!.
  • regmcc
    regmcc Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great thanks I'll check it out.
  • runbyme
    runbyme Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I started Jillian's 30 Day Shred last night! Kinda sore today but am anxious to do it again as soon as I get home from work!

14340662.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter