30DS for fit(ish) people

Options
ok so i started 30DS about 4 days ago with a bunch of other people to keep my motivation up. which is great, they have been fantastic in helping me not get bored with the same workout everyday.
So bascially i am trying to tone up and get a bit more definition in my muscles, not necessarily loose weight.
Im not an athlete, i'm not a gym junkie, but i do see my self as relatively fit, I do weight training, cardio and circuit training everyday. (and now 30DS)
Now on my news feed everyday a lot of the girls are posting how sore they are, or how much they sweat , or how much they feel like dying during Jillians workout. i don't sweat, I don't feel like I'm dying and I feel like I have to do more exercise afterwards cause it didint seem so hard. I was curious to know if Jillians will get me the definition I need? I know its only level one, so i expected it to be relatively easy,(so far) and ive seen some great results on here from some girls who do 30DS and thats the only exercise they do. Do you reckon to stick with it? i wanted to try insanity, but its too expensive, silly 100 dollar programme. But has any people who dont need to lose weight done it and seen results? maybe im just being impatient.. (ive gone up 3 pounds since being on Jillian too.. not cool!)

Replies

• rouleaux
    Options
    Bump - I asked a similar question and have yet to hear a reply - I'd like to see what other people think!
  • chaineyart
    Options
    bump!!! --- i was wondering the same thing.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    If it's not feeling like hard work, it's probably too easy for you. You could try using heavier weights (5lbs) and switching up to a higher level, making sure you're doing the advanced moves the whole way through. If after that it's still too easy, my vote would be to drop it and find something that challenges you.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 DS, and while I had trouble the first day of each workout, it was more to do with the moves themselves and getting my body to move that way. I play rugby in the spring, summer and fall, and I consider myself decently fit from that, and I've been doing cardio training ever since rugby ended last fall.

I work hard, but I found by the time I got to Level 3, I wasn't sweating nearly as much as Level 2. I found Level 1 fairly easy as well. I didn't have a lot of definition when I started, but even if it feels like you're not doing much, if you keep at it, the definition will come. It made a huge difference for my chest, back, triceps and thighs.

That being said, I added in an extra cardio interval training workout on alternating days, about 30 minutes long, and I split my workouts so I ran in the morning and did the shred after work. Then, on the days I didn't run, I did an extra 15 minute ab workout. It was Ab Ripper X from the P90X series. Well worth the 15 minutes of pain :)

Now I'm onto Ripped in 30, and I find it much tougher than the 30 DS, mainly because she does each move faster and I have to work harder to keep up. I did Day 1 of week 2 last night, and while I didn't sweat as much as I did in week 1, I was definitely still working hard.

In case you're wondering, I'm 5/3 and weigh in at 135 pounds, and I'm at a "healthy" BMI. I'm not trying to lose any more weight, just tone up my trouble areas. After I was done the 30 DS, I had dropped a dress size and about 5 pounds. Hope this helps!
  • theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the same boat as you - I'm not totally fit and perfect, but definitely was not sore after the 30DS. I usually pair it with Jillians 6 Week 6 Pack, and that seems to get me a decent hour long workout. 6W6P mostly focuses on abs and legs, and that video DID leave me sore for the first week (but I wasn't doing any strength training when I started).
    I also second the PP's who said to make sure you are doing the most advanced version the whole time and upping the weights. Also try doing two levels in one day, or repeating the video.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I think you're going to see better results in levels 2 and 3. I did a round of 30DS last summer when I was lake kayaking at least 4-6 hours a week, and I remember the shoulder work in level 2 was still kicking my *kitten* a bit (with 5 pound weights). Just up the weights if you're not challenged. Overall, I think 30DS is a great way for me to get some strength training in, especially when I'm focused on running. It can be as challenging as you make it, but it's still easy enough that you can go for a run after. Ripped in 30 is more of the same, with 4 levels, but I'm finding the strength training more challenging than 30DS. I think it's closer to what you get from Insanity or P90X, just for much shorter workouts.
  • ellycope
    ellycope Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    As previously mentioned try upping the weights and doing all the advanced versions. Level 1 is more about getting the technique ready for the harder moves - also, even if you're not feeling it too much afterwards it's still good to do it as it is definitely progressive and your muscles will be ready for the next level. If you have the time you could do 2 levels together or use it as a warm-up for a run or something. Ripped in 30 is a step up from 30DS so you could try that instead.
  • greenbubblegum
    greenbubblegum Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should move to levels 2 and 3, with heavier weights.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Check ebay for insanity if you want to pay a smaller price. I thought the same thing about 30DS. It seemed too easy for me, so I do it in the morning before heading to work and then hit the gym and do my usual workout after work. It's working for me.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I would say that I am fit and I do level 3 with 5 lb weights and I sweat and it is hard.

I do a lot of other cardio and lift too
  • taxidermist15
    taxidermist15 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    wow thanks guys for all the input. i am using 5lb weights and doing the hard version (those alternating raises still get me a bit). usually i do 30ds in the morning as a quick workout then do a big workout in the arvo too. hopefully this means itll be better.I think im ust being a bit impatient too. its been 2 weeks since i started heavily training and ive gained pounds and lost no inches...just feeeling a bit confused as to why, ive upped my cals too cause everyone said i wasnt eating enough. so we'll see. its a long processs....
  • Shutterpillar
    Options
    maybe because you are gaining more muscle?

and also if you are doing all this training but not eating the amount that you should be eating you will gain weight because your body is holding onto everything it can to nourish itself and these new muscles you are building.

I am in the same spot though. not looking to lose weight, just build muscle and tighten things a bit.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    wow thanks guys for all the input. i am using 5lb weights and doing the hard version (those alternating raises still get me a bit). usually i do 30ds in the morning as a quick workout then do a big workout in the arvo too. hopefully this means itll be better.I think im ust being a bit impatient too. its been 2 weeks since i started heavily training and ive gained pounds and lost no inches...just feeeling a bit confused as to why, ive upped my cals too cause everyone said i wasnt eating enough. so we'll see. its a long processs....

I gained three pounds my first week of the 30 DS, but it must have been at least partially water retention because I lost it again (and more) in the weeks after.