Eating Late--really detrimental?

Options
Hey guys, I've heard eating after a certain hour of the night can be detrimental to weight loss. How true is this statement? I work during the day and go to school at night, so I usually end up eating later than I'd like. When do you guys generally have your last meal/snack?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I've heard eating after a certain hour of the night can be detrimental to weight loss. How true is this statement? I work during the day and go to school at night, so I usually end up eating later than I'd like. When do you guys generally have your last meal/snack?

Only if the late night eating causes you to exceed your total daily intake. (So basically, it doesn't matter).

I will eat until I run out of calories or fall asleep.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

It's not true at all. You can eat right up till you go to bed without it effecting your weight loss, assuming you are still in a caloric deficit
  • briocktj
    briocktj Posts: 128
    Options
    I dont think so... as long as you dont eat something that will give you problems (heartburn, diarrhea, etc...)
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I eat bacon in bed, I'll spare you the other details.
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I have pretty severe acid reflux. I can't eat/drink a couple hours before I go to bed or else it comes back up. I'm usually eating/drinking up to that time though and you can see my weight loss below.
  • loseweightjames
    Options

I'd say the statement is very true, whenever I go to bed soon after eating I always gain the next day.

I'll usually have my last meal or snack at least 3-4 hours before bed, so about 7 or 8pm when I go to bed at 10 to 12.

If I must eat I try to make it something lite like a huge salad or fish (tuna), that way I'm at least getting as few calories as possible

they also say people will eat when they're really sleepy, the body tells them to eat more because the calories will give them energy to stay awake longer.
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options

^ Coolest guy EVER. I LOVE bacon. I would marry bacon, but my wife would disapprove. :(
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a late meal after working out. Hasn't affected me one bit. ☺
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    it´s a myth. The time when you eat has no impact on weight loss.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Your body does not stop digesting food just because you're asleep. Your metabolism has to run around the clock to keep your body functioning. While it is true that your metabolism slows while you sleep, that is only because of the reduction in your body's requirements for energy. It is still hard at work building up tissues and keeping your bodily functions going. As long as you're hitting your daily calorie goals, when you eat those calories will have little effect on your weight loss/gain.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

Doesn't everyone? It's a ***** when the syrup gets on the sheets tho
  • wilma6308
    Options
    The only reason people say not to is because your body isn't moving about so when you eat later at night they think that your body will not burn those calories. If you were to eat during the day you are up and moving more. If you are still in your calories then you should be fine. You need to eat when you are hungry no matter what time of day
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    Time has nothing to do with it. Just keep your calorie goal.
  • SARRY562
    SARRY562 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Usually 3-4 hours before bed

I was told no carbs after 6.. so really i dont eat after 6 anyways i get home from the gym at 9pm so i take a shower and off to bed.
  • goodhealth2012
    Options
    The problem is that if you eat late, and eat something high in carbohydrates and/or sugar you are less likely to be able to burn those carbohydrates off which can then be stored as fat. Eating earlier allows you more time to 'burn' the calories and carbs that you have eaten. That's the theory anyway. Whether it makes a difference, I don't know, I try to eat around 6.30-7.00 and then have something with either natural sugars like a little fruit (not a good enough choice for some I know) or something with protein, such as yoghurt or milk. Hope that helps!

There is also another thought to keep on mind. The body repairs itself when you're asleep and by eating late your body can't focus purely on healing as it has to digest. I find if I eat late my body won't digest food as well as it would if I had given it more awake time!

I don't personally think it's about a set time, I think it's more about the amount of time before you sleep, I think it's best to stop eating a couple of hours before bed(I'll have to try working on that!!!)
  • Trixiebelle67
    Trixiebelle67 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've never had an issue with late night eating, but on the flip side if I skip breakfast, I definitely feel it and crave items I'm trying to minimize.
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It doesn't affect weight loss, but if may affect how you feel (i.e. previous comment about acid reflux, or someone who doesn't sleep well on a full stomach). However, if you don't have any adverse effects like that, then you can eat whenever you like, as long as you keep to within your caloric and macronutrient range. I often eat a HUGE meal quite close to the end of the day, and I'll still show a loss in the morning.

:)
    Amy
  • bchampagne10
    bchampagne10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with the last posts. I just read that it doesn't matter but people do tend to eat more calories in the evening to feel satisfied so just be careful not to exceed your daily goal!
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options

Ha Ha. No, I eat until I'm full. If it's late I eat a small snack-last night I had a handful of almonds, the other night I had a "fun" sized candy.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Eat whenever you want just as long as you stay with in your caloric intake... I head to bed with a Big Glass of 1% Chocolate Milk and a Bowl of Almonds every night. ( around 400 calories) gets me by til breakfast around 6:30..... Doesn't matter what time of the night it is, Food is fuel for the body, got to stoke the fire..... :-)