Options
    Bump! Great info....thanks!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • Dkittery
    Options
    Start with 8 reps and add a rep each week till you get to 12 and then increase weight and lower reps back to 8. Don't worry about what other people think. just try to have good form. If a weight is too heavy go get a lighter one and continue. You have to find what works for you first.

I agree, also form is important so you don't hurt yourself. I was right there with you when I first started, I am now up to 30 pounds!! :)
  • twinsanity
    twinsanity Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    The most important thing is your form. Lifting heavier weights with bad form is a great way to get an injury. Lift what you can while still maintaining your form. The last 2-3 reps should be a little more difficult, but not so much so that you have to sacrifice form to complete them.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Either check out the book you mentioned or you can go to www.bodybuilding.com and sign up for Jamie Eason's Live Fit Trainer for free which is a 12 week strength training program. I'm on week 3. I used to lift very heavy when I was younger, so I feel like a beginner again, but it's going great so far!

This
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    If you want strength and size then go lower rep-high weight. If you want a lean shred go high rep-low weight. Just stay true to form
  • spittingglass
    Options
    Lift heavy with low reps. It's best if you actually find a program and stick to it, don't just wander around the gym doing random stuff, you WILL NOT advance that way. You're not going to get bulky unless you actively aim for that; people spend years of their lives trying to accomplish that goal, and you aren't going to do it accidentally. Here're links to two beginner-friendly lifting programs:

Stronglifts: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/
    Starting Strength: http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program

LEARN TO DO THE LIFTS CORRECTLY. Search for Mark Rippetoe on Youtube and you'll find a lot of videos going over proper form and how to perform the lifts. And if you need more personal help: you know those big, intimidating, muscle-bound guys in the gym/weightroom? They're probably the nicest and MOST HELPFUL people you will encounter, I promise you!

I've been doing Stronglifts for a little over 3 months now; I started out with the empty 45-pound bar, and I'm going to attempt to squat 230lbs today. You can't really deny that sort of progress. Also, the Fitness subreddit on reddit is a WONDERFUL place for information/encouragement:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/

Just remember: eat (VERY IMPORTANT), sleep, lift heavy AND FOLLOW A PROGRAM like Stronglifts or Starting Strength, and you WILL get stronger.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I started out with the empty 45-pound bar, and I'm going to attempt to squat 230lbs today.

What lift though?
    Bench?
    Dead-Lift
    Row
    Curl
    C&J
    ?
  • spittingglass
    Options
    I started out with the empty 45-pound bar, and I'm going to attempt to squat 230lbs today.

What lift though?
    Bench?
    Dead-Lift
    Row
    Curl
    C&J
    ?

The answer is in your quote, I said I'm going to be attempting a 230lb Squat today.
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options

What lift though?
    Bench?
    Dead-Lift
    Row
    Curl
    C&J
    ?

The answer is in your quote, I said I'm going to be attempting a 230lb Squat today.

LOL sorry, i'm a fool!

GET THAT SQUAT! Start off with a few min of foam rolling and you'll get it for sure!
  • spittingglass
    Options
    Thanks man, it's going to be a PR for me. I haven't really needed to foam roll that much though, I haven't really had DOMS or anything like that since my first month of lifting, even with progressing each lift up by 5 pounds each workout, plus I do 3 or 4 warm-up sets before I actually move up to my work-weight.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Lift heavy with low reps. It's best if you actually find a program and stick to it, don't just wander around the gym doing random stuff, you WILL NOT advance that way.

I think so far this has been my problem..I totally do just random stuff (since I gave up using the "Fit Fix" circuit of machines). I made up a small binder of different things from my magazines but they aren't straight lifting and I didn't love any of them.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Ask the trainers at the gym that is what they are there for they have had the training. And if you dont have a personal trainer at your gym you can still ask them and they will tell you. You will get many different answers as many as there are people it is all individual. Or you can gp on the internet just make sure you use sites that end in ...org...edu...gov other site are usually done by the average joe and can say anything. You want solid information so you do not get injured
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get more into weight training..but I'm not very strong evidently (i.e. I tried to do bent over rows with 10lbs last night and could hardly move). My question is, am I better off being able to do 8-12 reps with a slightly higher weight or 3-5 reps with the heaviest weight I can handle with good form?

I don't want to feel like an idiot at the gym when everyone there can do so much more than me so many times and sees that I'm doing like... 2 reps before I bail.

I basically just need some guidance as to how to get started.

Make sure you take advice from a heavy lifter...
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Hello for all of you that can make it to LA they are having a competition and I do believe its not only weightlifting my daughter will be lifting on the 29th I believe at 12 pm here is the address......USA Weightlifting 2012 American Record Makers Los Angeles Convention Center Los Angeles California 01/28-29/2012
  • EricMurano
    EricMurano Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    My programme has me doing 'heavy' for 5 reps by 5 sets. Even though I train heavy it's not like I started with weights I couldn't lift. I just kept adding weight each session until I started stalling months later.

Don't worry what other people think. No one cares what you do in a gym. Just be a good gym-citizen by following the rules, put plates away, wipe down benches etc. Everyone started at the beginning.
  • jessie_rose24
    Options
    I can tell you this, if you lift heavy, more than likely you will get bulky, large muscles.

It makes me so sad to see yet ANOTHER woman saying that if you lift heavy you will get bulky huge man muscles...it simply isn't true! As a woman your body is not physiologically designed to "bulk" like a man.

Please read this article about what does make you look bulky!

http://www.crossfitsouthbay.com/2011/05/skinny-fat/

I have been olympic and power lifting for the past three years...I can lift huge amounts of weight and yet still look gorgeous in a evening gown! The women I lift with are super strong, putting up numbers like 325# deadlifts at 135# body weight, and 155# Push Press at 145# body weight. Yet these women are fitness models and competitors, that look just as good in a bikini as a victoria secret model, but with a nicer butt thanks to all the squatting! My best advice to women out there is PICK UP HEAVY WEIGHT! Find a gym in your area that can show you how to lift and follow a training schedule like Strong Lifts 5x5 to get to a place where you can start to see results and you will be amazed at the changes your body goes through! Get off the cardio machines because try lifting 150# on a back squat for a 5x5 and tell me you aren't getting a cardio workout, you are nuts!!! Get after it girl and don't let anyone tell you that you will look like a man! It simply ISN'T true!!
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get more into weight training..but I'm not very strong evidently (i.e. I tried to do bent over rows with 10lbs last night and could hardly move). My question is, am I better off being able to do 8-12 reps with a slightly higher weight or 3-5 reps with the heaviest weight I can handle with good form?

I don't want to feel like an idiot at the gym when everyone there can do so much more than me so many times and sees that I'm doing like... 2 reps before I bail.

I basically just need some guidance as to how to get started.

HEAVY HEAVY HEAVY
    But Zilla is right on here. You need to soak in from the OG's in the gym. Ask questions and learn right.
    Perfect form over HEAVY weight. Once you master. HEAVYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ALWAYS
    Make sure you take advice from a heavy lifter...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,683 Member
    Options
    If you want a lean shred go high rep-low weight. Just stay true to form
    Myth. You can get shredded lifting heavy with low reps if you are in calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • suprfast
    Options
    Carb cycling with a calorie deficit are the keys to dropping weight and minimizing muscle loss.