Any Runners Out There?

Options
Hi I'm 5'4 and currently 150 lbs with a goal of 125. I feel like I don't have the typical runners body but I love the sport. I regularly run in half marathons (with about a 10 minute per mile pace). It could be all mental but it feels like naturally tall and thinner people are typically in the sport. Either that or worse - friends who never train killing me in races! ugh! Anyone out there like me? Looking for motivation and encouragement!

Replies

• theginnyray
    theginnyray Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think I could have written this myself :-)

Even if I think I'm slow or don't feel like I have a "typical" runners body, at the end of the day, running makes ME happy!
    Sometimes I also get frustrated when my friends won't train for a race, but they will just go out and run it and kill my time. I secretly hope that they pay for it afterwards!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    as you run more, you'll get faster and start to look more runnerish...albeit it might be a stronger version vs. just skinny.

I have been running for quite a while now and I am finally getting to the point where I am getting fast and looking more like a runner. FINALLY. It took a good 6 months of focusing on nutrition to get there though.
  • dixiech1ck
    dixiech1ck Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I'm a chunky monkey, at 198lbs and standing 5'6", but I classify myself as a "runner." I can't run 10 minute miles, but around 12 - 12:50 on a good day because of my arthritis. It's definitely helped me a ton in my weight loss goals and also, is just great to zone out and enjoy nature.

Do you prefer road running to treadmills?
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    If people were horses, I definitely wouldn't be a race horse, more like a plow horse. But they say, slow and steady wins the race.
  • Cathyrusnak
    Options
    I completely identify with your body type and feelings about other runners. Remember, you are competing against yourself in achieving your own goals. No one else matters!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options

ROAD/TRAILS ALL THE WAY!!!!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    If people were horses, I definitely wouldn't be a race horse, more like a plow horse. But they say, slow and steady wins the race.

This is me exactly. I've just started running or more like jogging. I'm learning to really enjoy it and like pushing myself.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I run... A LOT... and I don't have the typical runner's body, either. I have completed 2 half marathons, too! You can do it... it's all about building up to it gradually. I definitely consider myself a runner as my "short runs" are now 5K and 4 miles. If I do a mile or 2 mile run I consider that a sprint. It's a mindset, and it's addictive. :)

Best of luck on your running adventure! :)

Also... the only thing you're running against is the timer!!! I NEVER worry about anyone "beating" me in a race or vice versa. My pace is my pace... and my goals are to better myself from the time before.
  • josery1630
    josery1630 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm with you, but I'm not to the distances you are. I'm 5'4" too so when I race with taller people, I always get smoked. :)
  • GetFitE
    GetFitE Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm a chunky monkey, at 198lbs and standing 5'6", but I classify myself as a "runner." I can't run 10 minute miles, but around 12 - 12:50 on a good day because of my arthritis. It's definitely helped me a ton in my weight loss goals and also, is just great to zone out and enjoy nature.

I am kinda of like you! I feel like I'm too much of a chunky monkey to run races, standing at 198 at 5'8. But it ALWAYS puts a smile to my face when I see/hear the comments from my skinnier friends after I log my Nike + runs on Facebook or tell people how many miles I just ran. They always look amazed... and THAT makes me feel REALLY good!
  • aTROOPSTER
    Options
    I ended up joining a runners group and it's really helped me (solidarity and accountability always help :) ). I was never one for running; the times I tried to run by myself I'd quit after 5 minutes. I go in intervals now - usually 3 minutes running and 2 minutes walking - and I'm still not the fastest runner but I don't care. I prefer road to treadmill, though it still takes some serious mental strength to run outside in crappy weather. Speaking of, just ran 25 minutes in rain/snow! Woohoo!
  • charlottefairbairn
    Options
    I completely identify with your body type and feelings about other runners. Remember, you are competing against yourself in achieving your own goals. No one else matters!

I absolutely feel the same way - TS Eliot once wrote "Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" - running is completely subjective as there is nothing in the sport except you and your body, and only YOU can control and influence that - so there's no point comparing yourself to others. Challenge yourself and you'll go far, as you will always find new challenges, and you'll never get bored of pushing your own limits!

Three years ago I couldn't run for 5 minutes, and I completed 2 marathons and 4 halfs last year. Nothing's impossible if/when you set your mind to it :) x
  • bigdawg62
    bigdawg62 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    In the past 3 years I have run 7 full marathons. I am 5-9 and last November I ran the Manchester Marathon at 260 lbs. That was a very heavy weight for me to run a marathon but I did it in 5:36:23. My fastest was in 2008, same marathon at 4:26:24 at 218 lbs. The point is if you enjoy running dont let lack of speed deter you. You should only be running against yourself, forget the others. I just try and set a realistic goal for myself in a race and meet that goal. If my friends beat me thats fine as long as I meet my own goals. When I finished the marathon last year at 260lbs I think a lot of people were amazed that a fat guy like me could do it, plus I'm 49 years old. Today I am at exactly 260 pounds and I'm training to run an Ultra Marathon in July at Wakefield Mass. My goal is to run 50+ miles in that race. I would like to have my weight down to under 235lbs for this. Since Christmas I have lost 8 pounds so I'm on my way. Keep on running.
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner. However, I run about 15mi/wk or more. I don't have a runners body. I'm a big girl. But my 10:15-11:00 pace is faster than anyone sitting on their *kitten* eating bonbons.
  • charlottefairbairn
    Options
    I run... A LOT... and I don't have the typical runner's body, either. I have completed 2 half marathons, too! You can do it... it's all about building up to it gradually. I definitely consider myself a runner as my "short runs" are now 5K and 4 miles. If I do a mile or 2 mile run I consider that a sprint. It's a mindset, and it's addictive. :)

Best of luck on your running adventure! :)

Also... the only thing you're running against is the timer!!! I NEVER worry about anyone "beating" me in a race or vice versa. My pace is my pace... and my goals are to better myself from the time before.

Amazing skills, keep it up :D
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Just to put some perspective on the height issue, at least......

Here are the stats for the American Olympic teams....

Men's: Meb Keflezighi (1st place in Olympic marathon trials) is 5'7"....Ryan Hall (2nd place) is 5'10" (not TOO tall for a guy!)....

Women's: Shalane Flanaghan (1st place) is 5'5"; Desi Davila (2nd place) is 5'2"; Kara Goucher (3rd place) is TALL at 5'7"...

I personally am 5'9 1/2", and I would tower over these Olympic runners....Shorter runners actually tend to be the norm!
  • DeeJayTJ
    DeeJayTJ Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i consider myself a runner! i run 5-6 miles a day, 2.5-3miles in the morning and then again in the evening.

i run 10 minute miles though so im slow considering what most "runners" run..

thats hwo i lost about 50-60 lbs was from running 3 miles a day and eating less than 2000 calories a day.
  • watsonlc
    Options
    I just started the couch to 5k program today. I'd love to be a runner. Maybe I should say I AM a runner. I AM a runner. I AM a runner. I just need to work on how far/long I run. :)
  • OLFATUG
    OLFATUG Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I run about 35-40 miles per week at 10:00 - 10:30 miles. I usually run a few half marathons a year, with a spattering of 5s and 10s. I am currently training for my first half of 2012 on March 18.
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I'm more tortoise than hare, but I AM running.