strangely low calorie goal

Options
I'm just switching from LiveStrong to MyFitnessPal. I just like the iphone program better on this site. However when I set up my profile and enter the same information that I entered into LiveStrong, I get a recommended calorie intake some 300 calories lower than the other site. This seems like a large discrepancy. Is there any way to double check to see which value is the better selection:

Height: 5'11
SW: 273 lbs
GW: 220
Activity Level: Moderate

Livestrong gives me 2139 cal/day while MyFitnessPal only gave me around 1800.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Ward

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I have no clue--I think they may use different metrix to determine the calorie. I've been here for a few weeks and lost 1 lb a week per my goal with their calorie suggestion, so....

ETA: There are 3 different formulas used to determine BMR-my guess is MFP uses one and Livestrong another.
  • Gosser
    Gosser Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Yes it gave me a very low count because I put in I wanted to lose 1lb a week which is 3500 calories less than my required calories for the week. My calories required for the day are 1700 so it set my goal as 1200!!

Go to home, goals and you'll see what is set for you and you can amend your target there if you want to
  • wardacameron
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. It is puzzling how similar programs can give different results. It makes it challenged when trying to figure out which source to trust. I settled by setting my goal somewhere between the two. I find that this site also gives me much less credit for the exercise that I do when compared to Livestrong. Very confusing but I much prefer the IOS app for myfitnesspal to the much more limited one on LiveStrong.

Cheers
  • nsangast
    Options
    I have been using this app since June 1 at which point I was 285. It has worked really well! Its designed to allow for additional calorie intake based on daily exercise FYI. :D GOOD LUCK!

8528028.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,060 Member
    Options
    This was posted by Ladyhawk00. It explains this:
    by Ladyhawk00
    MFP chose to use the Mifflin-St Jeor formula because it is generally considered more accurate. They created this site to be different from other sites for a specific reason. Most sites use Harris-Benedict and use exercise to create the deficit for weight loss, keeping the daily cal goal static.

MFP recognizes that many people cannot exercise regularly, or maybe at all, due to physical limitations or time. And many people set up an exercise plan, but as we know, that's not necessarily what actually happens every day. So they wanted to create a site that allows for weight loss, regardless of exercise. So, they set it up to use BMR + activity level. The activity level is not intended to include any purposeful exercise.

That way, if you do no exercise, you still have a built in deficit for weight loss. When you do log exercise, cals are added back in to keep that deficit stable.

Determining Settings & Goals

So, you’ve entered your info, chosen your goals, and MFP has given you a daily cal goal. Is it right? For this to work, these numbers must all be accurate and realistic. A general guideline for determining loss per week goal:

20 lbs or less to lose: .5 lb loss per week
    20 - 50 lbs to lose: 1 lb loss per week
    50 – 75 lbs to lose: 1.5 lb loss per week
    75 lbs or more to lose: 2 lb loss per week

Obviously, some people will fall outside these parameters. Some will lose a little faster or slower or need a higher or lower loss goal. MFP promotes healthy weight loss, not only in actual calories in – calories out, but in changing your eating habits. Choosing too high of a loss goal usually ends up backfiring and leaves you feeling deprived, and does not teach you to eat healthy amounts of healthy food. I’ll talk more about this further on.

BMR (go to Tools) is your Basal Metabolic Rate – the number of calories you burn each day to keep breathing, as if you were in a coma. MFP then adds the number of calories you burn in daily living, your Daily Activity Level. Daily Activity Level is intended to include your daily activity at home, and your job – not purposeful exercise. If you are unsure of your activity level, or it is irregular, it’s usually best to choose the lower of two choices. These are not exact, perfect numbers, but for most people they are a good starting point and can be trusted to set up your initial plan. Remember also that you will need to adjust and recalculate these numbers as you lose weight and become more active.

These two numbers together, give you your maintenance calories – what you would eat to maintain your current weight. You can see this number under Goals.

Deficit

MFP generates a BUILT IN CALORIE DEFICIT to allow for weight loss, regardless of exercise.

This is different than many calorie counters/weight loss programs, or the way that many trainers set up a plan. These other plans usually take your “intended exercise” and use that to create a deficit, keeping your daily cal goal static. Therefore, with other plans, you would not replace calories you burn through exercise. MFP is different and you CANNOT compare them, unless you’re prepared to do some calculations to get apples vs. apples and not apples vs. oranges.

MFP is designed to have you log purposeful exercise each day, as you complete it, and for you to EAT THOSE ADDITIONAL CALORIES. This helps keep you more accountable, motivated and prompts support (all those WTG’s on your status go a long way.) If you do not replace the calories added for exercise, you make your deficit larger than you (presumably) intended. A larger deficit will not necessarily provide for faster weight loss – it will likely lead to feelings of deprivation, binges, irregular blood sugar levels, poor nutrition and bad eating habits - and is one of the key reasons why people give up or regain weight.

This plan only works, however, if your calorie intake and burns are accurate. Weigh/measure your food, and use the most accurate exercise burn numbers you can. The numbers in the food/exercise database are not always correct, or not always correct for YOU – be realistic and get the best numbers available to you. Go from there and don’t stress over it.

MFP does not allow for a guided daily cal goal below 1200. This number was provided by WHO as the lower limit for the average woman to receive adequate nutrition each day. The lower limit for men is 1500 calories. Unless you are much smaller than average, or are under the care of a professional who has provided a specific diet, attempting a regular intake lower than this is asking for trouble.

Starving/Not Hungry?

One of the most important aspects of this plan is that it helps you retrain your body and your mind to recognize healthy eating habits. This includes eating healthy foods and a healthy AMOUNT of food. If you are here, you likely have bad eating habits. Bad eating habits are not simply eating too much. Skipping meals, eating too little, eating irregularly, and eating the wrong ratio of macros (protein/fat/carb) are all habits that will contribute to an unhealthy weight.

MFP is a tool to help your body and mind to recognize how much you should be eating, how often, and what kinds of food. In the beginning, you may feel starving. Or you may not feel hungry at all. You should not necessarily trust either of these feelings. If you have abused your body, it has adapted to your bad habits and no longer gives you cues for a healthy intake. Aim for your daily cal goal, and give your body time to adjust to these changes. It may take days or weeks for your body to adapt to a healthy intake of healthy food. You didn’t learn your bad habits overnight, and you won’t fix them overnight.

There is no easy out, no quick fix. If you go about your weight loss in an unhealthy manner, you will end up unhealthy.

Dedication, Focus, and Motivation – and above all Patience and Persistence – are what will make you successful. Best wishes to all!

*Disclaimer – These are my opinions, based on my own research here on MFP and the knowledge I’ve gleaned from my nutritional education, and research in scientific literature. I’m not an expert, but I believe I’ve learned a lot from those who are.
  • wardacameron
    Options
    Thanks so much. That helps a great deal.
  • gj4man
    gj4man Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That Ladyhawk00 post should be in big letters on the login screen IMO.
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    So informative, thank you so much for this. Is it really terrible not to eat back my exercise calories? If i need to burn 3,500 kcals to lose a lb a week, shouldn't i still have a 500kcal defecit?
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    So informative, thank you so much for this. Is it really terrible not to eat back my exercise calories? If i need to burn 3,500 kcals to lose a lb a week, shouldn't i still have a 500kcal defecit?
    If you set up MFP right, it already has you at a 500 cal deficit. Not eating back your calories, increases that deficit.