Any Runners Out There?

Options

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My favorite saying I have seen recently is, "no matter how fast/slow you are, you are still lapping everyone on the couch!"
  • Kygirl97
    Options
    I'm a slow runner - more of a jogger, really. I'm trying to get faster. I've heard that more practice makes a faster runner. My 12-year-old daughter is on her school's cross-country team. My goal is to be able to keep up with her. I've been running for a little over a year, and am in no way consistent, much to my dog's displeasure.
  • Amy1N
    Amy1N Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm tall for a lady (5'9") at 160lbs with a goal of 150. I have been running 5ks for a couple of years. And I still struggle. Like maybe 10 to 12 minute miles. There's a quote floating around on Pinterest that says "no matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch". I'm just going to make that be my mantra.
  • skinnyack
    skinnyack Posts: 683
    Options
    If people were horses, I definitely wouldn't be a race horse, more like a plow horse. But they say, slow and steady wins the race.

haha- that's awesome. I would say I am more like a German Stock mule (5'4- 155). My fiance and running partner is a gazelle. Pisses me off to no end that I'm the one with the running dream and he's the one who never ran and is throwing out 6:45 min one milers, while I'm barely breaking 8:45. (sigh) in my next life I want long legs...
  • Cwyman1
    Cwyman1 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Whether it's a 14 minute mile, a 10 minute mile, or a 6 minute mile...it's still a mile.

Work on distance and the speed will come.

I ran my first half marathon in June 2011 and my full marathon in Oct 2011 (at ~195 lbs). I started running regularly in April 2011. I'm 5'9" and typically run at a 10 minute mile pace for longer distances. In April I was a 12-13 minute mile. For shorter runs (5k) I can kick it up to about a 8-9 minute mile.

In April I be running a half marathon, but now I weigh 165 lbs. I hope the weight loss as well as more conditioning/training will increase my pace.

Best of luck and keep on running!
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I am getting back into running after an 18 year break. I ran through high school and college, but after getting married and having three children, running is alot harder than it used to be!:grumble: I am short (5ft 1) with stumpy legs and one of my best runner friends has giraffe legs so it gets a little discouraging to even try to keep up. I am 40 and ran my first and second 5k's last year and hope to be able to run some more this year. At this point I am not running for any other reason than to say I did it, ie, not competing against anyone but myself. I did a bit too much when I started running and had an over-use injury on one of my knees and had to take a few month break but am working my way back. Nothing like that running high!:glasses:
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    10 min/mile is a great pace for a half, I think! I'm 5'3" and about 140...definitely need to lose my belly...and i LOVE to run! I haven't been able to train for any half marathons yet...I'm super busy with work and school...but I like to do 1 or 2 5ks a year and in 2010 I did a 10k that was pretty fun.

I agree...it seems like the tall, willowy people have an easier time running, and we short, stout people have it hard...but I still love it!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, although I don't usually do any races over 5K (I know -- that is a sprint for you half and full marathoners). I find that running about 4 of these a year gives me something to train for and track against. I have been running (as an adult) for a little over a year now, and average about 15-20 miles per week, and a couple of times per week I hit the weights. My starting 5K (as an adult) was 34:11 in Jan 2011, and as of October 2011 (last race) I ran a 25:12. I have another race coming up in a week and a half and I am hoping to be sub 24 minutes.

For all those that are starting to run, don't worry about how far or fast you run. Be satisfied with the fact you are getting out there and exercising. Additionally, take each walk/run one day at a time. Each time you walk or run, try to go a little further and maybe a little faster. Track your runs using an application like runkeeper (runkeeper.com). Set goals - walk/run a 5K - there are tons of them, usually one each weekend. One poster mentioned the Couch to 5K program - this is great - it is geared toward going from not running to running a 5K in 12 weeks. Crossing that finish line (regardless of placing) will give you a great boost and you will want to run more just to improve on your success.

Good luck to you and happy exercising!
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Just to put some perspective on the height issue, at least......

Here are the stats for the American Olympic teams....

Men's: Meb Keflezighi (1st place in Olympic marathon trials) is 5'7"....Ryan Hall (2nd place) is 5'10" (not TOO tall for a guy!)....

Women's: Shalane Flanaghan (1st place) is 5'5"; Desi Davila (2nd place) is 5'2"; Kara Goucher (3rd place) is TALL at 5'7"...

I personally am 5'9 1/2", and I would tower over these Olympic runners....Shorter runners actually tend to be the norm!

Wow...I had no idea. That's great to know! I guess I always picture runners as graceful, gazelle-types, as opposed to like a hedgehog.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Just to put some perspective on the height issue, at least......

Here are the stats for the American Olympic teams....

Men's: Meb Keflezighi (1st place in Olympic marathon trials) is 5'7"....Ryan Hall (2nd place) is 5'10" (not TOO tall for a guy!)....

Women's: Shalane Flanaghan (1st place) is 5'5"; Desi Davila (2nd place) is 5'2"; Kara Goucher (3rd place) is TALL at 5'7"...

I personally am 5'9 1/2", and I would tower over these Olympic runners....Shorter runners actually tend to be the norm!

I'm with Christa. I'm 5'11" and I'm tall for a runner and not necessarily any better at it then those shorter runners. I tend not to use my full stride because it can irritate my knees after awhile.

You can be a runner at any size, shape or age. You get what you put into it. The more I work at it, the faster I get. I've come a long way in the almost two years I've been running. :)
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I started running over 15 years ago. Did my first 5K when I was pregnant with my first child. I've been hooked on running ever since. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Just focus on enjoying your training and races, if you like to race. If you like to compete, compete with yourself. Establish both short and long term goals for yourself to make yourself better and better.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I've only been a runner over the past 3 years, but I've found that runners come in every shape and size and every speed. I don't think there is a runner's mold, I think if you love it and you do it, then you are a runner.

I feel ya on people who don't train and are faster than me...but I like to think that I am short and every step of theirs is two of mine ;-P And it makes me feel better. I run for me, and no one else!
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am not a runner. However, I run about 15mi/wk or more. I don't have a runners body. I'm a big girl. But my 10:15-11:00 pace is faster than anyone sitting on their *kitten* eating bonbons.

Yes, you are too a runner.. :flowerforyou: I say this, because, I could've written this! And I AM a runner. I'm not the fastest, or the best, but I love it and it keeps me sane.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in the "typical runner's body".
    I'm 6'4" and started running at 325lbs.
    Registered for my first half marathon in April!
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner too and do not have what one would call the typical runners body. I am bottom heavy.
    I have completed many, many races, including several marathons and even qualified for Boston. As mentioned, you get out of it what you put into it.

I have also won the Clydesdale divisions of runs because I am considered a "heavy" runner. so, am not a race horse, I'm a Clydesdale. :tongue:
  • damionruns
    damionruns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    6'1, 266, im defintiely not the the traditional runner either lol
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and weigh 156 - gained a couple back...ugh... but I do not have the typical runner build either... I have heftier legs... but it makes me feel good also!!! My goal weight is 140-145...

Just do what makes you feel good!!!!

L
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    So does NO ONE think they have a typical runners body because they don't look like an elite athlete ? :laugh:

When I started running I was 190lbs. NOT a runners body. Because runners aren't overweight/obese... Am I right? :huh: Waiiiiiit a minute.

A runners body = Any BODY that runs!

I must say that while my body is far from perfect, I'd have to admit that it is a "runners" body by definition. It runs. A lot, sometimes. And I have long, lanky but strong legs. A narrow waist. Whatever else qualifies my shape as that of a runner - I'm sure I've got it. But most of all my body freakin' RUNS.

Thus - a runner's body! Seems pretty straight forward :wink:
  • runner_girl_120
    Options
    I am a runner for my college! I am 5'8, was about 150 when I started running, and it bugged the crap out of me that I was always the "biggest" runner on my team. I have slowly but surely become fitter and faster, at about 127 now.
  • wiglet23
    wiglet23 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Remember, you are competing against yourself in achieving your own goals. No one else matters!
    ^ yeah, this.

I am 5'4" also. Still weigh a bit more than you. But I sure can't run a 10min mile yet. Tho, I am getting closer. I don't worry (much) about what other runners are capable of. . . I focus on just improving my own pace/stamina, etc. I cheer myself for every PR. (The one thing that gets my goat every time, tho, is to see someone obviously older than me pass me by! :noway: )