Who else hates exercise?

Options

Replies

• jhunny31
    Options
    I loved it at one point. Probably last year when I lost 45 pounds. This year however, I hate it. I have been working out like crazy, and I mean crazy at least 90 mins a day and have only gained 5 pounds. My bones are literally sore and I'm not losing. I feel so ugh about workouts. Glad I found this place.
  • fudgebudget
    fudgebudget Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: The following statement will piss some people off and I don't care. It was not meant to instigate an argument, rather, it is a personal opinion.

I really, really hate it when people say, "The trick is to find something that you love!" Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. I have tried pretty much every exercise that's out there, but I do not get the chemical high. I just feel like crap when I'm doing it. Obviously this doesn't keep me from doing it (anymore), but I find that incessant comment to be pretty patronizing. That's awesome that you found something that you love enough for exercising to not feel like a chore. We will not all find something like that.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    DESPISE cardio. LOVE lifing heavy things.
  • ceilidh92
    ceilidh92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Disclaimer: The following statement will piss some people off and I don't care. It was not meant to instigate an argument, rather, it is a personal opinion.

I really, really hate it when people say, "The trick is to find something that you love!" Sometimes this works. Sometimes it doesn't. I have tried pretty much every exercise that's out there, but I do not get the chemical high. I just feel like crap when I'm doing it. Obviously this doesn't keep me from doing it (anymore), but I find that incessant comment to be pretty patronizing. That's awesome that you found something that you love enough for exercising to not feel like a chore. We will not all find something like that.

I completely agree with you on this!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options

Sometimes I hate formal exercise if I'm not in the mood (GYM stuff)... but things like Zumba, ice skating, cross country skiing, snowboarding, hiking, swimming - I find fun and it's exercise too. I don't necessarily get a "high" from these things but I enjoy them. I'm going to ice skate more this year - I forget how fun it is till I do it. Just walking even clears my mind and is still exercise.

If you can't find a single activity you like enough to stick with then I guess you'll be a tortured soul till goal weight. I don't think anyone was trying to be patronizing - but I find it rare that a person, especially a fit person, actually only enjoys sitting around on their butt doing no physical activity all the time. I would be bored out of my head.
  • stacey76
    stacey76 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hate it too. I'd rather be anywhere else then the gym...
  • CharmCityBella
    CharmCityBella Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of exercise either, but I just try to think of it as one of the things I have to get done each day. And I try to mix it up. I switch between the treadmill, stepper, spinning, Zumba, yoga... and I always round out the day with a nice long walk with my dog. None of these are my favorite things, but they are necessary things.
  • Nuclear_Synthesis
    Options
    wow, so pleased its not just me. I do it, but i have to force myself. Yes i feel better after and i feel like i let myself down if i dont, but damn its hard and boring and i just dont like it!!!
  • ButtercupSprad
    Options
    OMGooooosh no. Its very theraputic for me.....it helps me get through the day mentally.
  • tavcanada
    Options
    **raises hand** I was a dancer for 20 years and couldn't get enough. Now...not so much. :D Like you I feel so much better when I do exercise but I still hate it. Meh.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Find what you LOVE....
  • shmily713
    shmily713 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I definitely hate to exercise and I am a soldier.. lol! I think it is because I played softball since I was 5 and after I tore my rotator cuff I couldn't play anymore. Softball was FUN and it was my exercise. I have never had to "formally" exxercise and now that I do, I think that is why I hate it so much. Now, I make myself do group fitness at the YMCA. I love it, but it is the "getting started" that I am not motivated about. Once I am in class around everyone, I feel so obligated to finish that I don't quit. 1 hour of intense group fitness at the YMCA usually burns around 660 calories. Have you tried Zumba? I am not motivated enough to do it on my own at home, that's for sure! I am wishing you luck.. I know how you feel!!
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I would ask yourself why you hate it.

Bored? Do 10 minutes per machine. Do 3 machines and you already have a 30 minute workout.

Time constraints? "Working out for 20 minutes at high intensity is better than 1 hour on the elliptical reading a magazine." (quote from Jackie Warner, personal trainer).

Or do weight lifting? Dumbbells and right exercises will create more muscle which will increase your metabolism.

I believe that exercising is a mind game. So, is motivation.
  • hsmithway
    hsmithway Posts: 191
    Options
    I used to love running until I trashed my knees. Now I love being on the elliptical with good music that I can keep a steady pace to, but I loathe intervals. Once I'm going, I just want to go, not sit there watching the clock for when to speed up and slow down. Bleck.
  • ymachick
    ymachick Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It's definitely a love-hate relationship for me.

I love the way I feel when and after I'm doing it.
    I love the way I feel stronger, more powerful and exhaustingly happy.
    I love the way my body responds to exerice and how I look better when I regularly exercise.
    I love the way my clothes fit better when I exercise.
    I love how exercising allows me to occasionally indulge in foods I love without gaining weight.
    I love to be a person "who exercises regularly."

I love everything about exercising...except actually exercising. :tongue:

The key for me is that I do it for the results, not because I actually love to exercise.
  • ceilidh92
    ceilidh92 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Excercise equipement & bicycle collecting dust (and I don't care). But I do enjoy Wii Tennis & Boxing along with Square Dancing. So at least I have that. It's all individual... :wink:
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Yup, I hate it but love when the exercise is done. I have a Wii & use Jenny McCarthy's Your Shape game. She's a b!tch most days & I hate her, but like I said, I love when it's over. AND, like everyone else says, I LOVE to eat!

Good luck!!!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I certainly USED to. I hate it more than anything on the planet. I hate it more than being overweight. But then I finally found something I enjoy that HAPPENS to be exercise... and that made all the difference. Now I practice yoga 5 - 6 times a week for 75 - 90 minutes a day... if I had to be in the gym running I could never stick to that kind of schedule.

Now that I'm more active, I actually hate being sedentary. (Well, except for Saturday 90210 marathons now and again!) I now also try to walk or snow shoe every day on top of my yoga routine in the mornings. I think it really is a mental game with yourself... find something you LOVE doing and find a wake to make it exercise. If you LOVE dancing, play Just Dance for the Wii or take a ballroom dance class. If you LOVE to swim, then join a pool. There is a difference between hating EXERCISE and hating the GYM. :) Good luck!
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I hate to exercise... i'm training for a 5k right now and its like pulling teeth to do my treadmill 3 times a week... i'm already dreading 430!

Me too!!!! If I don't have a goal or a program I just don't wanna!!!! I'm only doing C25K so I have a reason to go....and also trying to work on my lung capacity to try to lessen my asthma!!!

I hate exercise, I don't have more energy....I feel like falling asleep on the couch every night at like 8:30 pm. I don't like sweating and I don't see a huge difference physically.

I KNOW I'm getting stronger and have more endurance but I just hate it!!! I mainly do it to earn more calories because I do LOVE food!!!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I have tried pretty much every exercise that's out there, but I do not get the chemical high.

Oh cool so how much did you Clean&Jerk

How much was your turkish get up

How did you like farmer walks

Much many kips did you get in a row

How did you like those natural GHR's

Did you use a sumo stance when you flipped tires

I really doubt you've "tried pretty much every exercise"