21 Day Challenge ~January 17th-February 6th

Options
Experts agree that it takes 21 days for our minds to retrain ourselves and break old habits and when you think about it, 21 days is such a short period of time. I am starting this challenge for myself because I have been on MFP for a few months now and am starting to get lax with some of the things that we all know need to be done in order to be successful.

Anyone can join this challenge, but really its just a place for me to hold myself accountable daily. If anyone decides to join, let me know what habit or behavior you would like to change or add to your life? It can be something simple like replacing diet soda with water or something more complex.

For the next 21 days I will:

1) track everything that goes in my mouth and be precise with portion sizes (because little bites and tastes show up on the waist)

2) do something active everyday. I know my body needs rest days, but for this challenge I want to do something active daily to get in the habit. Some days will be hard workouts while others will be just a stretch session or a walk. (its good for my body and mind to get out there and exercise)

3) eat out no more than three times for the duration of this challenge (once per week) [good for my wallet and keeps me honest about what and how much I am eating]

4) only weigh myself on my weigh in day (Monday) [focusing on the scale detracts from recognizing how hard I am working. Losing weight needs to be a healthy process in terms of how I approach it and obsessing over the scale will carry over once I'm at goal]

Its important to not only have goals but to remember why you want to accomplish them and how changing each habit will have a more positive impact on your life. I listed my reasons why in parenthesis so I can look back on them.

Replies

• Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this wonderful challenge.For the next 21 days I will walk for 1 hour daily.
  • SuzieA1991
    SuzieA1991 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Great Idea! Mine will be to lay off the sweets! although I may treat myself to one small treat at the end of the day (If I have enough calories for it) They say if you deprive yourself entirely of sweets, and you love sweets, then when you 'mess up' you feel bad and just binge. But if you have one small portion once a day then you wont over indulge.
    Another one will be to exercise everyday (even though I have sprained my ankle I can still walk very slowly Lol)
    A second is to get my 8+ cups of recommended water a day. Although water is all I drink and occasionally Orange Juice or Green tea, I still sometime don't get the recommended 8 cups of it which is essential for weight loss.
    Also I will be tracking what I eat and when I exercise. And I will also watch my portions and make it a habit to portion out everything I eat.

Good luck everyone! This is a great Idea. I will be blogging throughout the 21 days and try to blog everyday thereafter about my progress.
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    1) 8+ cups of water :drinker:
    2) Workout on atleast 5 days a week. :glasses:
    3) Eating 1 apple/day (5 days a week) :heart:

And I am not gonna weigh in myself till Feb 6th. :smile:
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    21 Day habit
    DAY 1- 1 hour walking done.
  • Tiffany789
    Tiffany789 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    This sounds doable...I'm in.

For the next 21 days I will:
    *write down everything I eat, even if I go over on my calories.
  • away3000
    Options
    Ok I am in.
    1. I will exercise everyday
    2. I really like the whole not weighing one's self until February 6th as mentioned above. I think it will get me to focus on the changes in my body through clothes and other measures and will allow me not to fixate on the numbers.
    3. Only allowed to eat out twice. (1/21 is one of those days and I am already preparing)
    I think these are all doable goals and will allow me to maintian focus.
  • m2agm
    m2agm Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I really like this idea.

The one thing I need to seriously work on is only weighing myself once a week.. on Monday am ..I jump on the scale every morning and I know this isn't a good habit.

Additionally I will work out everyday. I started the 30 day shred yesterday so I know I will at least do that. I will walk on the treadmill for 30 mins at least 3 days a week.

are you starting a group ? Let's add each other as friends, we can keep each other accountable

Emily
  • DMRN0125
    Options
    I'm so excited that I have buddies to do this with! Everyone's goals are such great ideas.

Today I met all four goals and am looking forward to the next 21 days with you all!

Have a good evening. =)
  • Beenna
    Beenna Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm in too!
  • kholl25
    kholl25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'll be in...my husband and I joined a "Biggest Winner" club at the gym...so that's some motivation for us - the money isn't it for me...I am tired of being overweight. I haven't had a family picture with ME IN IT in a couple of years...that's how bad it is.

Work out everyday
    Recored everything I eat - every day
    5 glasses of water every day (I just can't do more!)
  • MissMom3
    MissMom3 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm in!! I haven't lost a pound since before the holidays but thank goodness I haven't gained but 3 lbs. I competely stopped drinking water and working out so that's my challenge:

1. Drink 8 cups of water every day
    2. Exercise 5-6 days a week

Thank you for the motivation!!
  • Shannonnn92
    Shannonnn92 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm in :)

I will:
    1) Exercise every day
    2) Only weigh myself once a week
    3) Only eat out 3 times
    4) Not drink anything other than water!
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    This one will be really hard for me... but my goal is going to be that I only weigh myself once a week. I think I will pick Thursday mornings for my weigh in days. I currently hop on my scale about 3 times a day, which is almost obsessive compulsive.

:wink:
  • Shannonnn92
    Shannonnn92 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Same here, I literally step on my scale every time I go in my room!
  • sklala
    sklala Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Love this idea and agree with M2Agm, we shoudl start a group and hold each other accountable.

I would like to keep up with doing yoga at least twice in my week to help strtch my muscles

I like the weigh in once a week idea, Monday is as good a day as any.
  • Smooch009
    Options
    Oh wow this is just what I need x focus and a goal x I am looking to stop naughty snacking and snack healthily. Also to pick up my walking x thanks for starting this. X walked for an hour today xx
  • brighteyesxluv
    brighteyesxluv Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Definitely in..
    1) drink 10 glasses of water a day!!
    2) workout 5 days a week
    3) weigh in on monday morning
    4) try to get atleast 1 more serving of veggie/fruits in a day
  • hunnybee262393
    Options
    I'm in!

My goal is to drink at least 5 cups of water a day. Sometimes I go a whole day with just one, which is definitely not good for me and gives me dry, itchy skin due to dehydration!!
  • antlia
    antlia Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm in :) My goals are:

1) Doing the 30 Day Shred every day.
    2) Drinking 3 botles of water daily.

That's it :) Of course eating healthy is in the list :)
    Lets do it!
    :flowerforyou:
  • away3000
    Options
    I might have already hit a snag. I wanted to eat out only 2 times during this challenge and I ended up eating out last night. I only have one more for the entire time and that will be this weekend. Oh well, I will do the best I can with the following weeks!