Eating for your Bloodtype...fact or fiction?

Options
Two years ago I had a food allergy panel done. Then 2 months ago, I got another one done (just to see if the same foods are the culprit) I've suffered from eczema off and on since I was a baby, and found out that eczema (as well as other skin conditions) can be caused by certain foods, for it's a form of an allergy. The foods in my 'avoid' column are dairy, wheat, kidney beans -- chicken and turkey are closely behind.
For years my friends at the health food store have told me to eat right for my bloodtype...I would nod and say 'yeah yeah' and basically scoff it off in my head. Also through the years since having the extra lbs on and doing the yo-yo weight loss thing, I have noticed when I eat more fish and veggies I feel amazingly better, and yes, the weight starts to come off more quickly. So, with that said, I looked up my bloodtype, and low and behold Im supposed to avoid dairy, wheat, many meats, kidney beans. Hmm :huh: ?
Also, years ago my doctor told me to do yoga at least twice a week (love yoga), and do more meditation exercises. Sure enough, that's what it says regarding my bloodtype. ( I giggle at my best friends bloodtype....she's supposed to eat lots of protein and work her *kitten* off for exercise...but again, she loves her steak...go figure).
Anyway, I have allergy tests to back up these claims...could be coincidence, but maybe not.
Have any of you looked into this?

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    That sounds really cool....how do I find out my blood type?
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Fiction.
  • YukonJoy
    YukonJoy Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    FICTION!! :noway:
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    It's total bull. There's no scientific basis for it.
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'd say on the general whole, it's fiction. But for my experience, it served to be fact. All the changes it recommended, put me towards getting properly diagnosed as a Celiac (gluten-free) patient, to fix my PCOS issues by going low-carb outside of a few healthy fruit/veggie carbs and i found a Tabata training circuit because it said for me to do intense exercises. Here i am now, 120lbs lighter, and healthier and off all medications. So for my personal experience it offered wise words, but i can't speak for the other blood types and seems he could've just advised the O blood type diet to everyone and finished the book at that! haha
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The configuration of proteins on your red blood cell membranes has absolutely nothing to do with how you digest food. It sounds absurd when you think about it.
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I read that once, and it told me to have a low-protein diet!

I feel better when I eat LOTS of protein.

That was the most ridiculous thing I have ever read.

Avoid foods that you are allergic to and listen to your doctor's advice and your own body.

There's a wacky diet for everything.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I am fine with it since "O" types get to eat a lot of meat.
    FIRE UP THE GRILL!

I have objective reservations, because nobody seems to have any real scientific evidence for it. A pop-diet book by a naturopathic "doctor" doesn't count.

Just eat clean and exercise, and if your blood bleeds red, all will be well.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is it's nothing but superstition and myth. It does not jive with my knowledge of human physiology- and fish and veggies are good for anyone, so your experience of feeling better is likely unrelated to your blood type and due more to you making health choices that would benefit the average person.
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tried it years ago for six months and have to say I hated it. I'm a type A and according to the Bloodtype diet, we're not meant to eat meat or do vigorous activity (and take insane amounts of supplements) - it went completely against everything I love and the sort of activity I enjoy. I didn't lose any weight so went back to normal once more.
    My mother follows it, but not to the letter - she's a type O which is much less restrictive!!
    Who knows if there's anything in it, all I know is that it didn't help me one bit and didn't make me feel better.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Total fiction.

Think about evolution. If this were the case then asians, blacks, caucasians, etc, would have evolved having the same blood type since they all came from their individual geographic regions, eating the same foods.
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    Absolutely 100% truth to this. I can't get into it now because I am pressed for time, but here is a bit of info. Our hormones are carried thru our blood. Different hormones come from different glands and organs in the body. These glands and organs determine how our body does absolutely EVERYTHING. Our blood type affects how our systems work as well and certain blood types work better with certain foods. FOODS regulate hormones. One big cycle!

Love this stuff!
  • lunglady
    lunglady Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Total BS.
    BTW, I'm a physician.
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    More to it then that.........
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    I am a microbiologist, specializing on how food effects the body.
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    It's total bull. There's no scientific basis for it.
    +1

No doubt some people profit by following this - but it's anecdotal, and probably coincidental as well.
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    my sister-in-law firmly believes in it. i have not messed around with it though.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    FOODS regulate hormones. One big cycle!

That in itself convinced me not to look at the studies.
  • 2monthstogo
    Options
    :smile: Bottom line... do what is right for you and your body. According to all nutritionists I eat too much protein. As soon as a cut back I am sugglish and get headaches. I do what my body tells me to do.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I think it's bs-- I'm type A and I definitely don't do well with being a vegetarian.