Cleaning? Exercise?

Options

Replies

• JenabeeRose
    JenabeeRose Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    No . unless you don't count cleaning whenever you first make your profile and put in your activity level. I clean EVERY day... so I wouldn't ever add mine in.
  • diva500
    diva500 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Dont start picking at straws......go out and actually do some exercise....to get results....hope this is not too mean, but I am sure you were cleaning before, and did it help......I have a cleaning business and I DONT count it, because although I move, twist, turn, bend, lift etc....I do this everyday YET I was still FAT!!! So after a hard day at work.....I still either do some REAL exercise in the morning or after work.......and once I made that change I have lost 155Lbs in one year....now I have to exercise even harder as I get closer to my goal.....
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    its like logging water HELLO UR SUPPOSE TO DRINK IT ANYWAY RIGHT?? but yet we log it cause its good for the body so is ANY ACTIVITY WE DO SO WHY NOT CLEANING!!!

CAUSE IT AINT EXERCISE.. THAT IS WHY
  • savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!! When you make your profile it asks about your lifestyle! If you clean everyday it should already be added toward your calories. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine! I feel like people are just trying to get extra calories or something. * This is my opinion.*

BTW - not everyone cleans everyday. I am home maybe 3-4 hours in the evening before I go to bed. By the time I get home, do a workout and my homework, it is bedtime. My profile is set to inactive, so when I do scrub my house from top to bottom on the weekend, you can sure as heck bet I am burning calories. I don't eat back those calories, but I count them so I know my activity. Don't presume to judge.

Pushed "like" button
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If I am cleaning for my mother-in-law who is 100% German (and has a super clean house) to visit, it's not just exercise . . . it's an olympic qualifying event.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    Cleaning is not exercise but physical activity especially if you have to clean up after slobs!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    cleaning is not exercise. get over it. accept it.

Cleaning may not be exercise, but it is activity and you do burn calories doing it. Whether you count those calories or not is going to be different for everyone.
    - If someone is generally active in their day (and has their activity settings at lightly active or higher), then I don't think they should count it.
    - If someone is very sedentary and they do a decent amount of non-stop movement cleaning the house, I think it is quite valid to record it.

The body doesn't know if you burnt those calories going to the gym or vacuuming the house, it's all movement and energy expended.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    NO!!!!! When you make your profile it asks about your lifestyle! If you clean everyday it should already be added toward your calories. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine! I feel like people are just trying to get extra calories or something. * This is my opinion.*

This is my opinion too.

I have a very sedentary job, so I'm listed on the lowest activity level. I don't clean every day. But on heavy duty laundry and cleaning days, I'm up and down stairs, lugging baskets of laundry to and from the laundry room, etc.. as well as scrubbing floors, tubs and all that. That being said, I generally don't count it, or if I do I count only a small portion of it. I don't want cleaning to be used as an excuse (for me personally) not to work out that day. I also sit on a stability ball at work for about half the day and do intermittent crunches and pelvic tilts, etc.. but I don't count that either.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh, and this was on the Doctors. It's from a lady who combined house cleaning with a real workout. Lunges with vaccuuming, etc.

http://www.5min.com/Video/Household-Cleaning-Workout-Moves-326726028
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Well depends on what you have your activity set at. Mine is sedentary since I have a full time sit down job.

I don't usually log it though unless I am doing some deep cleaning.
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    Options
    I don't count it. :smile:
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I do as long as I'm up and moving. I don't count if I'm sitting on my butt folding laundry but if I'm scrubbing the floors and stuff then heck yeah :smile:
  • GLJezebel
    GLJezebel Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't count it. If I burn calories doing it then it's a bonus that I don't even pay attention to.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Nope, I don't count it. If I burn calories doing it then it's a bonus that I don't even pay attention to.

this
  • Not worth logging in.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I don't because my activity level is set to slightly active.

Exactly! I do log gardening if it takes more than one hour because it is something that I don't do everyday.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I only count heavy duty/extended length of cleaning because in my mind my everyday cleaning is included in my activity level. JMO:smile:

This. If I am going up and down the stairs multiple times carrying laundry, toys and other items, dragging a 30 pound sweeper around, mopping floors, moving furniture etc that is not my normal activity level. This happens once a week or so. Everyday dusting and straightening up? No, I don't count that.
  • joyharvey04
    joyharvey04 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Cleaning exercise?? Hmmm this makes me wonder...is SEX an exercise. (lol) I mean if you are only getting IT once in a blue moon do you log it??? (Sorry couldnt help myself) :blushing:
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options

<--- guilty of this. maybe I should stop :-/