Fresh Beets (what's a girl to do with them)?

Options
2»

Replies

• JulieF11
    JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Slice and roast the beets then cube and add dressing and beets to salad leaves and top with crumbled blue cheese and toasted walnuts! YUMMMM!

Dressing:
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    6 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons granulated sugar (or Splenda)
    1 tablespoon sweet-hot prepared mustard
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

romaine leaves
    6 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
    6 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i just made some for dinner tonight. i bought them and scrubbed them when i brought them home. i peel them with a paring knife and then chop them up. throw them on a sheet pan, drizzle with a little olive oil, salt and pepper and roast at 400 for about 20 min or so. the leftovers make a wonderful beet salad with goat cheese and walnuts, drizzle with a little vinegarette. don't be worried when you pee (or poop) turn red!!!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is to bake them like a potato. i wrap the unpeeled beet in foil and bake until you can easily pierce them with a fork, unpeel them and then eat up. They are really tender this way. The greens are delicious too but you'll need to cook them in a day or two - they go bad quickly. I sautee them with garlic, crushed red pepper, olive oil, salt and pepper.

true!
    when i grow them in the garden i add the greens to salads or sautee them like kale or other greens...they are sweeter!
  • mea9
    mea9 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    soup
  • FitMissVicky
    FitMissVicky Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for beet cake (like carrot cake) but I think that's not in the plan now; I like to roast them and eat them in a salad with goat or crumbly blue cheese and walnuts or pecans. Just wash them and roast them; the peels will come off very easily once they are roasted.
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I can't wait to try all these great ideas :)
  • JPDad
    JPDad Posts: 147
    Options
    I like to bake them, slice them, drizzle them with a balsamic vinegar reduction and then crumble goat cheese on top! Perfection!!

I am going to have to try them this way. Sounds good.

We use them to make borscht soup, with lots of vegetables and dill. Sorry that I don't have a recipe available right now, but we are making some later in the week.
  • mrsacoulter
    mrsacoulter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have shredded fresh beets into a salad before... Super yummy and sweet!
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I roast them!

- peal them and wrap each beet individually in aluminum foil.
    - poor in a little orange juice in with it before fully closing it up.
    - once all the beats are wrapped, place on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 30+ minutes at 350 degrees... or until they are fork tender :)
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    Feed them to bears. Bears eat beets. Bears. Beets. Battlestar Gallactica.

Wbgolden: creator of Awesome.
  • karenhs2
    karenhs2 Posts: 197
    Options
    Yummy! Thanks for the ideas.
  • meghan_cr
    Options
    I've recently become obsessed with beets :-)

I bake them in aluminum foil for about 45 minutes, then the skins just peel right off. Slice thinly and let marinate for a couple hours in orange juice/lemon juice/cider vinegar (something acidic) and salt and pepper. Serve on top of arugula with some crumbled goat cheese and thinly sliced pears. Can also serve diced on endive spears with some goat cheese or pears as appetizers.

Also LOVE the beet greens! Saute with some olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes. Also delish with a splash of soy sauce.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I scrub them, chop them, toss them through some balsamic vinegar and a little sugar, and then wrap them in foil and bake them.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    need to bump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • karamoran
    Options
    Beets are the wonder veggie...I shred them and eat them on my salad every day. You can also chop the stalks and toss them in and the leaves although the stalks and leaves are a bit bitter so use less. They are great for digestion and if you tend towards anemia.

Just take a sharp paring knife and peel off the skin shred them and you are good to go. Don't be frightened if things look red or purple-ish the next day in the loo...it's from the beets. Also, they stain your clothes so be careful what you are wearing when you prepare them.