Non Dairy Smoothies

Options
Candice83
Candice83 Posts: 217 Member
Hey guys im looking for some non dairy smoothies that are filling! I'm lactose intolerant unfortunately. I have tried a few smoothies but havent found them very filling OR tasty. Any help would be awesome :)

Replies

• kittybitz79
    Options
    I am allergic to milk... so my smoothies consist of a cup of orange juice and 1/2 cup frozen fruit.(you could put some protein powder in it) But I usually eat mine with either a hard boiled egg or some nuts.
  • holyguacamole
    holyguacamole Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Have you tried using soy yogurts? I don't eat much dairy either, but I LOVE smoothies. Heres a few of my favourite recipes:

banana, orange juice and frozen strawberries

banana pineapple juice, tinned peaches and pineapple

soy yogurt, frozen strawberries and orange juice.

Those are just 3 general recipes I tend to use, but you can mix and match with whatever you think might taste good. I made a banana chocolate soy shake with soymilk, frozen alpro chocolate dessert and bananas. Yummy :)

I saw some recipes with tofu in them, might try them soon too. They would have more protein in them, so would be more filling.
  • ernielaurie
    Options
    google "Green Monsters" I love them and they fill me up which is no small feat!
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting oats in

I make one with

100g of blueberries
    30g oats
    tablespoon of flaxseed (optional)
    half a scoop of protein(optional)
    couple of ice cubes
    100ml or more of water (depending on how thick you like it)

blend and its yummy and a whole meal in one.
  • Hmmaddox
    Hmmaddox Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made one a few days ago - Almond Milk, frozen banana, 1 tsp peanut butter, blender - add ice - yummy!
  • hwalter1
    hwalter1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I like using almond milk (either plain/vanilla or chocolate) and protein powder (right now I'm using the Arbonne powder) and either peanut/almond butter, shake it up and go. :)
  • michelle225
    michelle225 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant too. I just replace dairy with soy or almond milk. Recently I've been doing 3/4 cup frozen berries, 2 scoops trader joes soy protein powder, 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk and 1/3 cup light coconut milk.
  • greyhoundluv
    Options
    I make mine with coconut milk, frozen blueberries or cherries, and protein powder--absolutely delicious and non-dairy!! very filling too, I might add.
    Oops, forgot that I also put flaxseeds in as well, for fiber and for filling-ness!!
  • MaggieMay131
    MaggieMay131 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I LOVE using coconut milk (the full-fat, canned kind) for smoothies. It gives it a nice creamy base, plus it's super filling. My staple is coconut milk, frozen strawberries, a banana, and some cinnamon. Add some coconut flakes or almond butter for extra texture. So yum and filling!
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Lot's of good ideas.

Bump*
  • TheBakerGirl
    Options
    To make it filling, add a cup of spinach or a scoop of peanut butter. There are so many things you can use anything to replace dairy….soy milk, 100% juices, coconut milk, coconut water, lactose free milk. One trick I like…I use around 200ml of the various Innocent smoothies (if you can't buy that brand, I'm sure there is an equivalent) as the base for my smoothie, then add extra fruits and veggies to bulk it up.

Have you tried goats milk/yogurt? It might be easier to digest than cow milk products. I highly recommend the coconut milk though… it's dairy free and has lots of other health benefits. Almond milk is great too. I've never tried it, but I've heard a little avocado can be a great way to thicken a smoothie and fill you up.
  • Whinchat
    Whinchat Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My breakfast smoothie is usually made of

*200ml organic soya milk
    *a banana,
    *frozen mixed berries (about 100g),
    *a scoop of hemp protein powder (about 15g - used to do two scoops but it made it too bitter)
    * teaspoon agave nectar
    * teaspoon spirulina (optional)
    *About 100ml orange juice (optional)

Downside to adding the spirulina is the resulting smoothie looks remarkably like greeny-grey pond sludge O_o
  • amyldickinson
    Options
    HI, all!

I do smoothies with lite soy milk, vanilla if possible- 1 cup
    About a cup of frozen mixed fruit (or whatever fruit you have)
    1/4 c frozen blueberries
    1/2 navel orange- with rind (I cut them in quarters or eigths and freeze them)
    About 4 dried prunes
    10-15 almonds
    1 scoop protein powder
    A big shake of cinnamon
    If desired, a splash of almond extract

Blend till smooth- these are too thick to use a straw, so you may need to add more milk to get the consistancy you want.

Love them!!
  • holyguacamole
    holyguacamole Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Does anyone put vegetables in their smoothies? Want to give it a go but don;t know where to start...
  • beatnikmel
    Options
    I'll have to find my recipe, but there are some that use tofu to make the smoothie instead of dairy products :)
  • Lovetotravelmore
    Options
    I had a trainer years ago that told me to use 4 oz Orange Juice, 4-6 oz water, and 1/2 to a full scoop of vanilla soy protein powder. It gives you an energy boost, taste refreshing, you can make it ahead of time and since you have the protein powder in it you don't get the energy crash later. I recently went back to those and realized how much pick me up they really give. Excellent for first thing in the morning, or mid afternoon snack or meal.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Sorry. Double post.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    All of my smoothies are non-dairy. I use almond or soy milk. I usually will put one cup non-dairy milk and a cup of fruit, part or all being frozen. I also add 1 tbsp of flax seed and usually put in 1-2 tbsp of blackstrap molasses for iron and calcium. (I'm vegan.)

Last week, I made green smoothies and they were delicious! Now I need to go to the store for more spinach!

Green Monster - 1 cup milk, 1 frozen banana, 1 tbsp natural peanut butter, 2-3 cups raw spinach. It did NOT taste at all like spinach!

Green “Creamsicle” Smoothie - 1 medium ripe banana, 1/2 cup frozen mango, 1 cup baby spinach, 1/2 of a ripe avocado,
    1 cup vanilla almond milk.

Frozen cranberries and a banana with coconut milk, flax, and molasses was breakfast this morning. Yum!
  • ShabokaMegz
    ShabokaMegz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/strawberry_almond_smoothie.html

I recommend 1 tbsp of sugar. it really doesn't need 2.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I usually have 150ml of Orange juice, handful of frozen blueberries, 2 handfuls of spinach or kale, teaspoon of chia seeds, teaspoon wheatgrass powder and teaspoon of spirulina. it works. Honestly!

Eta that if I'm particularly hungry I add a banana as well.