Cleaning? Exercise?

Options

Replies

• savage22hp
    savage22hp Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    If you are counting it and losing weight then who can say it was wrong . If you are counting it and not losing then you might want to rethink counting it . Everyone is starting at a different point . I am very active but only put down moderately active . I don't count my lifestyle but if I walk extra specifically for exercise I count that .
  • glowbuggy
    glowbuggy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I do count it. I have a 5 and a 3 year old and I am ALWAYS cleaning, scrubbing, wiping, picking up, putting away and so on and so forth. I start cleaning/moving/cooking what ever from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed!

I sooo count that time! But only when I am moving. And I keep track of what I am doing for how long. Laundry. Dishes. Light/Heavy Cleaning. Cooking. Play time w/ my girls. Shopping w/ a cart. I track it all and count it.

It seems to make me feel like I am doing more.
  • LA723
    LA723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Dont start picking at straws......go out and actually do some exercise....to get results....hope this is not too mean, but I am sure you were cleaning before, and did it help......I have a cleaning business and I DONT count it, because although I move, twist, turn, bend, lift etc....I do this everyday YET I was still FAT!!! So after a hard day at work.....I still either do some REAL exercise in the morning or after work.......and once I made that change I have lost 155Lbs in one year....now I have to exercise even harder as I get closer to my goal.....

Right but I also wasn't counting my calories before and I was eating about double in calories daily as I do now.
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. If you're logging your exercise to keep a record of activity level, why not? If it motivates you, do it!

BUT. The reason that MFP expects you to log exercise is so that you can EAT THOSE CALORIES BACK. So, unless you were previously bed-bound, I don't advocate logging 'regular' activity. House cleaning, walking along the grocery aisles, going out to get the mail...this is just called LiVING. Its not 'exercise' that requires extra fuel.

I think you have to think about what your motivation is for wanting to log it...so you can eat that extra snack? Or so you can feel pleased being able to look back on how your activity level has increased over time?

Look inside for the answer to your question. You'll know the answer.
  • LA723
    Options
    Here's the thing. If you're logging your exercise to keep a record of activity level, why not? If it motivates you, do it!

BUT. The reason that MFP expects you to log exercise is so that you can EAT THOSE CALORIES BACK. So, unless you were previously bed-bound, I don't advocate logging 'regular' activity. House cleaning, walking along the grocery aisles, going out to get the mail...this is just called LiVING. Its not 'exercise' that requires extra fuel.

I think you have to think about what your motivation is for wanting to log it...so you can eat that extra snack? Or so you can feel pleased being able to look back on how your activity level has increased over time?

Look inside for the answer to your question. You'll know the answer.

My motivation for logging it is that I feel it is true exercise. My heart rate is up, I do it for an extended period of time without stopping and I sweat a lot. Just the same as if I were on a treadmill or elliptical.
  • missjelika
    missjelika Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I say no.. who am i to judge. I see people on here who count time playing with their children as exercise.. I've also seen people count 500-600 minutes of exercise a day.. Get real people!!!!!!! Don't even get me started on food prep.. lol
    maybe they are digging it out of the soil. grinding up flour. you know.:noway:
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel superior think that I'm just trying to get "extra calories" or find an excuse not to work out, then you can go ahead and think it.

The reality is that I work out 5 days a week, walk everywhere I go (no car), and every day I do a large amount of cooking and cleaning. I log every second of it, and I eat back all my exercise calories too. *shrug* Never had a problem reaching my goals or fitting into those size 2 pants.
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I say no.. who am i to judge. I see people on here who count time playing with their children as exercise.. I've also seen people count 500-600 minutes of exercise a day.. Get real people!!!!!!! Don't even get me started on food prep.. lol
    maybe they are digging it out of the soil. grinding up flour. you know.:noway:

Don't forget about churning butter :)
  • jessicajoy87
    Options
    NO!!!!! When you make your profile it asks about your lifestyle! If you clean everyday it should already be added toward your calories. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine! I feel like people are just trying to get extra calories or something. * This is my opinion.*

BTW - not everyone cleans everyday. I am home maybe 3-4 hours in the evening before I go to bed. By the time I get home, do a workout and my homework, it is bedtime. My profile is set to inactive, so when I do scrub my house from top to bottom on the weekend, you can sure as heck bet I am burning calories. I don't eat back those calories, but I count them so I know my activity. Don't presume to judge.

Like I said my opinion. So if a person is an RN and they work part time should they log when they work? ITS PART OF THEIR LIFESTYLE!
  • LA723
    Options
    NO!!!!! When you make your profile it asks about your lifestyle! If you clean everyday it should already be added toward your calories. Sorry but this is a pet peeve of mine! I feel like people are just trying to get extra calories or something. * This is my opinion.*

BTW - not everyone cleans everyday. I am home maybe 3-4 hours in the evening before I go to bed. By the time I get home, do a workout and my homework, it is bedtime. My profile is set to inactive, so when I do scrub my house from top to bottom on the weekend, you can sure as heck bet I am burning calories. I don't eat back those calories, but I count them so I know my activity. Don't presume to judge.

Like I said my opinion. So if a person is an RN and they work part time should they log when they work? ITS PART OF THEIR LIFESTYLE!

If they don't break a sweat the other six days of the week doing their work, then yes, they should log that one day a week where the work becomes strenuous.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Don't forget about churning butter :)

Wouldn't be a rarity in my household. I make my own butter regularly. It basically involves filling a mason jar half full of quality heavy cream and shaking vigorously until the fat separates from the liquid. Some people would break a sweat doing it.
  • jessicajoy87
    Options

<--- guilty of this. maybe I should stop :-/

LOL! Its your opinion. I don't log cleaning. :flowerforyou: a flower or you for honesty!
  • skinnyma1974
    Options
    Yes cleaning is an exercise. Your bendng,pushing,pulling lifting and twisting and turning.:tongue:
  • skinnyma1974
    Options
    YES SEX IS exercise...MOST DEF!!!!!:love:
    Cleaning exercise?? Hmmm this makes me wonder...is SEX an exercise. (lol) I mean if you are only getting IT once in a blue moon do you log it??? (Sorry couldnt help myself) :blushing:
  • jessicajoy87
    Options

If they don't break a sweat the other six days of the week doing their work, then yes, they should log that one day a week where the work becomes strenuous.

So even though they do this everyday of the week about two - three times for 8-12 they should be able to put down what they burned if they don't do anything else? So are they slobs and don't ever eat? That doesn't make sense to me. Sounds like justifications to not have "exercise" time.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Only if I'm climbing ladders to clean out the gutters on my two story house.

Since I'm already very active, I only count deliberate exercise.
  • LA723
    Options

So even though they do this everyday of the week about two - three times for 8-12 they should be able to put down what they burned if they don't do anything else? So are they slobs and don't ever eat? That doesn't make sense to me. Sounds like justifications to not have "exercise" time.

No, that's not what I said. I said if they were only doing it 1 time a week, then it should be logged. I log my once weekly cleaning spree most of the time. I don't have anyone to justify it to except myself.
  • Ruby0209
    Options
    Yes on health planet they say you loose up too 300 calories a day for cleaning.
  • jolynnmjohnson
    jolynnmjohnson Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I own a housecleaning business and I do clean them everyday. thats why I do on the days I clean. Cleaning someone elses house from front to back and top to bottom yeah thats a workout..

But if I am cleaning my own personal house no because I dont clean my house like I do their -meaning all at one time- I clean up daily so day by day the whole thing gets clean.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I don't count something as "exercise" unless I strap on my sports bra and heart rate monitor and put some real effort into it.