Meal replacements: a solution? or a crutch.

Hi,
I have been trying, the traditionnal way, to lose weight: eat less and burn more calories but lately, I have been pressured by an acquantance to use meal replacements... I have always stayed away from those. Are there benefits to using something like that? Or should I stick to the old tried and true method.

Replies

• cuteness81104
    cuteness81104 Posts: 131 Member
    stick with the tried and true because it is a lifestyle change you can stick with to keep the weight off after all your hard work
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Hi,
    I have been trying, the traditionnal way, to lose weight: eat less and burn more calories but lately, I have been pressured by an acquantance to use meal replacements... I have always stayed away from those. Are there benefits to using something like that? Or should I stick to the old tried and true method.

First of all, if the person suggesting it is getting some financial benefit from this suggestion I would reconsider your acquaintances. If it starts with an S and ends with an hakeology you might want to also reconsider just based on that fact alone but I don't want to name names (it's a spendy one and some of it's users sell the goods for their own benefit).

But all that aside, I would still say don't bother. You don't get any inherent benefit to consuming a meal replacement unless it is providing something that is deficient in your present diet.
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 708 Member
    Hi,

I use Clif Mint Chocolate Builder Bars to replace a meal or two each day, but there's a method to my madness--I'm a candy-holic, specifically chocolate. I can have a bar, it keeps my calories down (I still have a big, happy, healthy supper), and it totally satisfies any cravings for candy bars. I used to down 4 or so Skor bars a day, a few days a week, plus eat three full meals every day. Now I'm a bar for breakfast (or sometimes an omelet), a bar or fruits for lunch, and then a wonderful spread for dinner. I don't consider it a crutch, I consider it a tool that both helps keep my calories down and satisfies a craving. Once I get into goal weight territory, I'll look at introducting another meal and ditching a bar.

Works for me, might not work for someone else. I think it depends upon how you view the bar and what you're planning to do when you reach your goal weight. If a person just eats meal replacements until they hit their goal and then return to the way they used to eat, they'll be in trouble, I think.

Kris
  • susabu92
    susabu92 Posts: 3 Member
    I would go with the tried and true method because you learn a sustainable lifestyle, versus relying on replacements. You have to learn portions and how to make healthy choices with real foods. I have a relative who is a rep for a program that starts with Take and ends with Life, and she dropped immense amounts of weight, but then moved, had other issues, and couldn't stay on the "plan" and gained 30 back in a month because she had not learned any strategies to maintain or lose with real foods. I have seen benefits in the program for people who need to drop quickly to keep motivated, but who then are able to transition and put the effort into learning eating with real foods, incorporating exercise, etc. I am a nurse though, and have seen patients out-eat even gastric bypass. It all is what lifestyle you are able to learn and maintain.

That being said, I keep a supply of some shakes and frozen meals when I am in a pinch, to avoid binging or fast food, or when I am out of time or cereal for breakfast, I can grab a shake and go.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    What happens when you stop using the meal replacements?

It's a crutch. Those are mostly designed for short term, effortless results. If you don't put any work into it, your results aren't worth having. Any weight you lose will be gained back and then some.

Weight that stays off requires a lot of discipline, but it is well worth the effort.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    I don't really use them, but I think if you have something on hand if you are really in a pinch, that's ok. I would only consider it a crutch if you did it daily because you can not live that way for the rest of your life.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Hi,
    I use them; they are surely a crutch!

Whole foods are so much better; that's a fact.
    Sometimes I need something fast, so I have some available, but again, nothing beats lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains and fresh fruits and veggies.

And if your friend is selling these things, tell her to GET LOST!
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    I use them, but mostly when I can't be bothered to think of a healthy meal I can eat at work and doesn't need to be refrigerated so usually for lunch I'll have one......when I can make something I definitely do cuz it basically only has protein and your missing your veggie nutrients.....and as long as your using Myfitnesspal yo ucan still keep track of your calories if you decide to go back to making your own meals so you wont gain all your weight back
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    I think Meal Replacements can be both a solution and a crutch.

For me, I need more protein than I am able to consume due to never being hungry. I use a very high quality protein and it will be part of my lifestyle to ensure I am getting the protein I need. They are a good source of absorbable protein after the gym too.

I know others use them as a crutch just to make sure they consume less calories.

I prefer real food, fats, proteins, vegetables and fruit and sometimes some nuts and seeds.