Heavy Lifting

Options

Replies

• nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Start with 8 reps and add a rep each week till you get to 12 and then increase weight and lower reps back to 8. Don't worry about what other people think. just try to have good form. If a weight is too heavy go get a lighter one and continue. You have to find what works for you first.

Good advice given here. I'm glad more women are deciding to lift real weight. Also, The New Rules Of Lifting For Women looks great! Your choices of exercises are good though. Throw in some deadlifts as well.
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    If you want strength and size then go lower rep-high weight. If you want a lean shred go high rep-low weight. Just stay true to form

I concur with ninebuff, this is a huge myth. You need to lift heavy weight to build muscle. Getting shredded, toned, ripped, or whatever else you want to call it is simply a matter of low bodyfat which is achieved through diet.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    A lot of good info on this topic. My only suggestion is to start light and get your form and movements correct. If you do squat, get to at least parallel or below. Have someone watch you if possible that has experience. They may be able to see things that you can't or aren't aware of. Once you get the lifts perfected, then move gradually to heavier wts. If it takes 6 or more months to get to heavy wts, that's ok. Be in it for the long haul. Not a new years resolution, but a lifestyle change.
  • bigfrank2
    Options
    You want to lift the weight that allows you to use good form, complete 8-10 reps and allows you to to recover enough to be able to complete your next workout. All the advice in the world will be useless if you go out an injure yourself and are unable to work out for a week, a month or longer. You want to be able to make your next workout and the one after that etc.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    pushing yourself is okay, but listen to your body and don't hurt yourself
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, if you're not struggling at the end of your sets, you're not working hard enough. However, the best money I ever spent when I was starting out was for a week with a personal trainer. Now if you're at a big box gym (Golds, LA Fitness, Bally's, etc.) be wary of the personal trainers. If the person training you doesn't look like they train themselves, move on.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Soooooo glad I found this thread!!! These are the exact questions running through my mind lately.
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Bump! Im about halfway through reading NROL4W and it's great so far, I'm also just at the beginning of my weight training and quite scared but determined nonetheless! I've never been 'strong' - time to change that!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,688 Member
    Options
    If the person training you doesn't look like they train themselves, move on.
    This. Nothing worse than trying to take advice from someone who touts "physical fitness is important" but apparently not important enough for them. At that point, I would think what's important is just the money they make.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    If the person training you doesn't look like they train themselves, move on.
    This. Nothing worse than trying to take advice from someone who touts "physical fitness is important" but apparently not important enough for them. At that point, I would think what's important is just the money they make.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Not necessarily true. I have read extensively on lifting and nutrition. I had to stop going to the gym for a while and my weight ballooned. I am back to working on getting it back down, but that doesn't make me less knowledgeable.
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options
    Ok, so I printed off day 1 of Jamie Eason's Live Fit (I still plan to get NROWL4W but my book store is out of them at the moment annnnd I'm kinda broke).

I lifted light enough in the first set to get a feel for form and I watched myself in the mirrors, then I upped each move on each set til my 3rd set was failing by the end of my reps (and I tried for 10 reps even though the Live Fit wanted 12) and I felt great after! I feel just a bit sore today, which is what I wanted and I'm excited for day 2!

...That said.. evidently I'm in no shape for narrow pushups and fell on my face when I tried. :blushing:
  • DrumlineGirl
    DrumlineGirl Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well good for you for going and trying! It will get better. I bought some dumbbells to work at home since I can't afford a monthly gym fee and have been going about 3 weeks. Keep it up!
  • karinefitness
    karinefitness Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I printed off day 1 of Jamie Eason's Live Fit (I still plan to get NROWL4W but my book store is out of them at the moment annnnd I'm kinda broke).

I lifted light enough in the first set to get a feel for form and I watched myself in the mirrors, then I upped each move on each set til my 3rd set was failing by the end of my reps (and I tried for 10 reps even though the Live Fit wanted 12) and I felt great after! I feel just a bit sore today, which is what I wanted and I'm excited for day 2!

...That said.. evidently I'm in no shape for narrow pushups and fell on my face when I tried. :blushing:

Good work!! :)

Don't worry about the narrow push-ups! I couldn't do ONE at first; I had to do them on my knees. It was a bit embarassing... but I kept going and I am now in week 8 (Phase 2) and can do them. Keep going :)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I'm starting to get more into weight training..but I'm not very strong evidently (i.e. I tried to do bent over rows with 10lbs last night and could hardly move). My question is, am I better off being able to do 8-12 reps with a slightly higher weight or 3-5 reps with the heaviest weight I can handle with good form?

I don't want to feel like an idiot at the gym when everyone there can do so much more than me so many times and sees that I'm doing like... 2 reps before I bail.

I basically just need some guidance as to how to get started.

Definitely do some reading to find what works for you. Suggestions...

1. Mark Rippletoe - Starting Strength (I believe that's what it's called)
    2. John DeFranco - Westside for Skinny *kitten* Part 1 (it's not a complex Westside method either, very good for beginners)
    3. Jim Wendler - 5/3/1 (this really isn't an advanced program as some may lead you to believe)
    4. Jamie Eason's programs
  • JaimeBrown5
    Options

Good work!! :)

Don't worry about the narrow push-ups! I couldn't do ONE at first; I had to do them on my knees. It was a bit embarassing... but I kept going and I am now in week 8 (Phase 2) and can do them. Keep going :)

So some of the things eventually repeat themselves? I've been wondering about that, but I don't want to look ahead cuz if I see a move I don't think I can do or won't like I might bail, so I'm just printing it off each afternoon and going.
  • getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

That is excellent!!! I am doing the program and sometimes have to do a couple of the moves in sets of 4 to get to the 12. I know that you shouldn't but with pushups (wide or narrow) I need too :wink:
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • MissMollieD
    Options
    I'm currently following a plan on Bodybulding.com for lifting heavy too. I had always lifted weights, but picked weights I could easily get to 15 reps or higher. I was told by a trainer once that lighter-weights/higher-reps will achieve the same results as heavy-weights/lower reps. So after trying that for a while and never really seeing any results, I am trying this program.

It is good to hear that women are lifting this way and seeing results. I don't really care what I can lift (even though I squatted 250# last night :o) ) but what I look like afterwards - I mean really, isn't that the point to all of this is? Being healthy too. Which lifting weights is supposed to prevent osteoporosis. The theory is that lifting weights, also requires your bones to be stronger as well as your muscles. Anyway...

This is the plan I am following: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi13.htm

He recommends squats, deadlifts, chin-ups, tricep dips... those compound power lifts typically left to the "boys" of the gym.
  • depends on what you are trying to accomplish but i would suggest low weight high reps. For a person new to lifting weights you need to build up muscle endurance before pushing yourself or you could cause injury. Plus the more reps you do the more calories you will end up burning.

^ I second that!
  • smiverz
    smiverz Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i would reccomend using a weight that is 75% - 80% of the maximum you can lift. basically so your struggling from 8 reps onwards