homemaker isn't a real job huh????

Options
camy_chick
camy_chick Posts: 277 Member
well, i think homemaker is a REAL job.....it's just the MOST under paid job there is! except the benefits are OUTSTANDING! time with my kids, i'll take it! no "boss" to listen too, i'll take that too! chose my own hours, SURE! just wish i could get paid like they say in the article below!

for all the other fellow "HOMEMAKERS" out there:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/much-homemaker-worth-182358580.html

Replies

• maloegering
    Options
    You don't have a boss? I have 5 ages 11 to 1 LOL!
  • ChristinaMcKeever
    ChristinaMcKeever Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Agreed!!!!
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    High Five! I am a full time stay at home mom and a full time student to boot. Not easy at all!!! My husband always tells me I get paid room and board, and I reply with, " You're lucky that's all I charge, you couldn't afford me!" LOL
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Would be nice but WHO would pay for that?
  • jenswwjourney
    Options
    hardest job EVER!! no time off, no sick days, no pay (at least in cash), multiple bosses, cannot call out, homemakers is the CEO!! everything is on the homemaker to well make a home with little or no appreciation or thanks. although beautiful children and a thank you does do wonders for spiritual pay day
  • branflake5
    Options
    I am a homemaker ad I have worked at a "real job" in the past. Being a homemaker is way more demanding than any job I have ever had. I am on call 24/7, I do laundry, cook, clean, drive everyone everywhere, I am a counselor, a nurse and a tutor. My days are long and busy. When your working at a "real job" when you come home your off work. I am never off work. Although it is hard work and sometimes I feel like I am being pulled 100 different directions at once, I love being home to make lunches in the morning, take my kids to school, get to pick them up from school and find out how their day was, cook dinner with my little helpers, sit down and have a nice family dinner together every night, and I get to kiss them goodnight every night. I feel lucky :)

But that 90+ grand a year would surely sweeten the pot ;)
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    There is no more important or rewarding job than bringing up the future generation, and doing it well.
  • nikkilou1978
    nikkilou1978 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hardest job I've ever loved!

Besides people with "real jobs" don't have to deal with a boss that is an angry little man who throws things, yells and cries all day, and poops in his pants.
  • misslizz6958
    misslizz6958 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ^ you just described my midget manager at work lol. Worst then my 2yo
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm 53 and my two kids are in college!

AND, I am REALLY proud to hear my "younger" generation women expressing these sentiments! It IS no doubt the most important , demanding and rewarding occupation. I feel sad for women who don't!

Carry on you strong - beautiful women!!! Have faith and pride :wink:
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    I am a homemaker ad I have worked at a "real job" in the past. Being a homemaker is way more demanding than any job I have ever had. I am on call 24/7, I do laundry, cook, clean, drive everyone everywhere, I am a counselor, a nurse and a tutor. My days are long and busy. When your working at a "real job" when you come home your off work. I am never off work. Although it is hard work and sometimes I feel like I am being pulled 100 different directions at once, I love being home to make lunches in the morning, take my kids to school, get to pick them up from school and find out how their day was, cook dinner with my little helpers, sit down and have a nice family dinner together every night, and I get to kiss them goodnight every night. I feel lucky :)

I disagree that when you're off work from a "real job" that your work day is over. I'm a single parent and when my kids were younger I still had to take care of them when I got home from work. "Working" parents are still full time parents. We don't stop being parents because we're away from home at a "real job".
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I disagree that when you're off work from a "real job" that your work day is over. I'm a single parent and when my kids were younger I still had to take care of them when I got home from work. "Working" parents are still full time parents. We don't stop being parents because we're away from home at a "real job".

^^^this.

I worked full time when my son was little as i had no choice. I've also done a full time degree whilst working part time as well. Whilst being a SAHM is a rewarding job, 'working' mothers are often made to feel guilty for their situation. I really don't like the term 'full time' mother and prefer 'stay at home' as we are all full time mothers 24 hours a day.
  • SquishiiKiwii
    Options

I don't think that her post was mean't as in parents who work a real job aren't full time parents. She was comparing what it is like to a real job. Not offending those who work!! I would pick being a full time homemaker anyday, I love it!! It is majorly hard work compared to any job I've done, and I'm a customer service and reception manager!! I've dealt with ALL sorts.

• mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've only been a homemaker/stay at home mom for a year and a half. I got to say it's the hardest job I've ever had. I've worked in factories and at desk jobs. At those jobs, I just went in did the job and went home. This job it never ends. Right now my toddler is off his sleep schedule, so I'm up waiting for him to get tired. His Daddy/my husband has promised to get him up at 8am on Saturday and Sunday so we can reset his schedule. Not only do I have baby duty, I cook, clean, and more.

Edit: Just saying that when you work you leave work behind and that is it, when your a parent it never ends.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

Edit: Just saying that when you work you leave work behind and that is it, when your a parent it never ends.

In very many jobs, leaving work behind at the end of the day is not an option. My mother, who was a full-time parent with a full-time job outside the home, often worked until 2 or 3am, having come home at 6, prepared a meal, spent time with us, got us into bed etc., and then started working again. There aren't many jobs, especially in this financial climate, where you can afford to leave work at work.
  • onefourone
    Options
    You should at least be paid the kindness and respect you deserve and to nights out whenever you can. That should be the bare min. To all the stay at home moms and dads, You are all fantastic people keep it up.
  • premiumchilenita
    premiumchilenita Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You should at least be paid the kindness and respect you deserve and to nights out whenever you can. That should be the bare min. To all the stay at home moms and dads, You are all fantastic people keep it up.

Things like this give me a little tear in my eye and feel really appreciated for all I do for my family. Yes it's the hardest thing I've ever done and will continue doing but,....I would never give it up for the world, I love my little monkeys
    And am really grateful for the people that appreciate.

We are building up a nation!!!:drinker: :noway:
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I work full time and have also brought up four daughters, latterly on my own after being widowed at 43. When I come home from "work" I still have to do cooking, cleaning and laundry, dealing with all the bills, the car etc. In addition, I still support my daughters in many ways. Only recently for example I have given up my "spare" time by - looking after two grandchildren to let one work; accompanying two of them to the gym at times that suited them; proof-reading another one's essays; giving advice; feeding the family when they visit etc. Being a fulltime "homemaker" is hard work and I would never say otherwise, but other life choices are not easy, and family doesn't dissolve away because parents have a job to go to..
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Benefits are part of your pay. So if you think Benefits are OUTSTANDING, then you are highly paid!