Quinoa Egg Bake

Options
findingfit23
findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
I made this for dinner tonight and it was pretty good. I think with a few changes, like some added salsa or pico de gallo, it could be amazing! The quinoa really does settle to the bottom and make a nice crust, all my spinach rose to the top though.

Quinoa Egg Bake - from Whole Foods

Ingredients
1 teaspoon butter (used cooking spray instead)
1/2 cup uncooked quinoa
8 eggs
1 1/4 cups milk (used almond milk)
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt (did not use)
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 cups packed baby spinach, roughly chopped
1 cup finely shredded Romano or Parmesan cheese (used 2.5oz white cheddar that I had on hand)

Method
Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease an 8-inch x 8-inch glass or metal baking dish with butter; set aside.

Put quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinse until cold running water until water runs clear; drain well.

In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and quinoa. Stir in spinach then pour mixture into prepared dish. Cover tightly with foil then jiggle dish gently from side to side so that quinoa settles on the bottom in an even layer. Bake until just set, about 45 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle top evenly with cheese. Return to oven and bake, uncovered, until golden brown and crisp, 10 to 15 minutes more. Set aside to let cool briefly, then slice and serve.

Nutrition - Serves 6
Per serving: 260 calories (130 from fat), 14g total fat, 6g saturated fat, 300mg cholesterol, 660mg sodium, 14g total carbohydrate (2g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 18g protein

Since this was in an 8x8 pan I cut it evenly into 4 giant pieces. It came out to be 318 calories for the larger serving with the ingredients I used.

1zwzrk8.jpg

Replies

• AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    LOVE it, Katie. I'll be making that. Thanks for posting.
  • Cheri1218
    Cheri1218 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Can I buy quinoa at a traditional grocery store? I can't seem to find it, no matter where I go. And where do I look? Is it with pasta, rice, or somewhere on it's own? I'd love to try this recipe.
  • rosieflo
    rosieflo Posts: 218
    Options
    Thanks katie!!! I was suprised that quinoa wasn't higher in fiber though? SOOO Excited to try this one!! Does it taste like it would be good for breakfast?
  • findingfit23
    Options
    I usually see it by rice or lentils. If you have a Whole Foods by you they have it in their bulk section, that is where I get it.
  • Bysshe
    Bysshe Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    that looks yummy!!! I love spinich in eggs. YUM
  • Kikorangi
    Kikorangi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you, it looks great.
  • findingfit23
    Options
    Quinoa is all about the protein! Yes, it would be great for breakfast, I will probably have it tomorrow AM.
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    Looks delicious....I'll be giving that a go this weekend I believe. Thanks for posting!
  • ShabokaMegz
    ShabokaMegz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I found a med. size box at walmart in the rice section. It's not cheap at walmart though. Haven't tried other stores yet.
  • lindzmt22
    lindzmt22 Posts: 335
    Options
    Mmm this sounds delicious, thank you!! I LOVE quinoa! :D
  • ogosun
    ogosun Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    this looks great.. i will make this...thanks for the post..
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Sounds yummy!

Pam
  • chimbleysweep
    Options
    This looks delicious! I love quinoa -- it's my favorite grain.
  • partonsara
    partonsara Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    yum!
  • Hottness4Lyfe
    Hottness4Lyfe Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
  • sandram82
    sandram82 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    Can I buy quinoa at a traditional grocery store? I can't seem to find it, no matter where I go. And where do I look? Is it with pasta, rice, or somewhere on it's own? I'd love to try this recipe.

I have not found quinoa at my local sobeys grocery store,... however it is carried at Dominion Superstore in the organic food section or it can be found at the bulk barn!! Good luck!!
  • TwinMumCork
    TwinMumCork Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    sounds yum.
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Mmmm, bump
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    thank you! i have all the ingredients (almost) in my kitchen. will give it a try.
  • cuquee
    cuquee Posts: 8
    Options
    I am not sure where you live but I live in Orlando and we have a two grocery chains called Whole Foods and Chamberlain's. Both are geared toward organic/healthy living and carry Quinoa. If your city has Publix they may carry it if not you can request it; they have an organic section as well. All else fails there is the internet :) Good Luck! ~B