Google Homepage

YassSpartan
YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
Have any of you check Google now that it is passed midnight in the east coast of US? They are standing for what's right and protesting against SOPA and PIPA, as so is Wikipedia and other sites. Go to google, and click on the banned Logo to support the anti-SOPA movement!

Replies

• andrea_marie3
    andrea_marie3 Posts: 39 Member
    Same thing at Wikipedia. If you want to sign the petition, you can go here: https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    I think they should have shut it down for a day - that would have been a real protest.

These law makers are getting out of control with these privacy, and freedom limiting bills.
  • YassSpartan
    Same thing at Wikipedia. If you want to sign the petition, you can go here: https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Yeah, I just visited Wikipedia and the English site is down. I'm happy they're doing that.
  • I think facebook, twitter, myspace, and tumblr should of went down for the day....you would have people rioting in the streets over this bill haha
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    I'm happy that they are doing this. The government here tries to control us to much. We need to stand up to them.
  • n003k
    n003k Posts: 58
    On the one hand, I definitely understand the need to protect intellectual property...

But, violating free speech, the right to a fair trial, and arguably, the right to be secure in ones possessions from unreasonable search and seizure to 'protect' intellectual property? That's just insane.

The Federal Government really needs to slow down, and downsize quite a bit. The US won't devolve into apes overnight if the Feds stop trying to legislate any and every portion of live that they can, rather than sticking to the original intent of the Federal Government as laid out in the Constitution.
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    So... I'm out of the loop and get look it up do to site blockage at work... what is this about?
  • happy_vegan
    happy_vegan Posts: 200 Member
    I agree the internet shouldn't be censored and am against sopa/pipa

but it's not exactly a valiant act for google to step in on that one.. i'm sure pirated content searches are really high on their search engine and they make money based on how many people use it....

just saying :)
  • n003k
    n003k Posts: 58
    Stop Online Piracy act and Prevent IP Act.

Long story short is say someone on MFP posts a link to a torrent for copyrighted music, allowing anyone to get it for free. The copyright holder (Odds are some mega corporation with more money than care for individual rights) can have MFP blocked.

Honestly, if the bills pass, the internet as we know it in the US will change completely. Content will be provided at the whim of any copyright holder, whole sights could be taken down without good cause, and free-speech as a whole is effected as a result.

ETA: And Vegan, if a cause is just, does it matter why someone chooses to support it? Whether Google is opposing the bills for purely moral and pro-freedom reasons, or profit based motives, they ARE stepping up and providing support. I choose not to question a powerful ally that hasn't got anything against me. :P
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    I think they should have shut it down for a day - that would have been a real protest.

These law makers are getting out of control with these privacy, and freedom limiting bills.

I agree! Wikipedia and Craigslist have already blacked out their sites.
  • Just imagine the uproar if people who weren't in the know about SOPA/PIPA were forced to find out about it because big sites they use like Google, Yahoo, Facebook or Twitter blacked out like Wikipedia and Craigslist did.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    I think facebook, twitter, myspace, and tumblr should of went down for the day....you would have people rioting in the streets over this bill haha
    Imgur is down.
  • YassSpartan
    All of these are also protesting against SOPA and PIPA
    esotech.org
    bloginity.com
    reddit.com
    wordpress.org

And here's an awesome video Wordpress has on its page right now. Share it with everyone, let them know what the government is trying to do!

https://player.vimeo.com/video/31100268