Kind of new (3 weeks now), complex situation, help!!

Options
I am 38, 5 feet 7 inches, and 176 lbs. When I first became a member 3 weeks ago, the first 3 days I ate and exercised exactly like I've always done and recorded everything. Surprisingly I was coming nowhere near the amount of calories I was supposed to be eating. My first question was why am I even overweight in the first place then? So, I did some research and found a lot of information on being in "starvation mode" where your metabolism goes waaaaay down to hold onto what little calories you eat. Well, after that eye-opening 3 days, I began to gradually increase my calories to what I was supposed to be eating, (2000 consumed - 800 burned = 1200 net). This has been a significant increase for me since my calculations for the first 3 days looked like this: 1200 consumed - 800 burned = 400 net). Well, the good news is that over the next 5-6 days I actually lost 1 pound, YAY. However, nothing in the 2 weeks since. I have been very consistent with this increase, making sure I am netting around 1200 per day to boost my metabolism. My question is this, what should I do now? I did lose the 1 pound in the very beginning but nothing else. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    If your body was in starvation mode it may take a while for it to readjust.

You seem to be on the right track with eating enough so I'd say keep doing what you are doing. Give it a few more weeks and see what happens. If you still don't see the results then look at making further changes. But for now I just think you need to give your body some time to adapt to the changes you have made :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Absolutely, give your body time to readjust. also, pay careful attention to what you are eating. Is it balanced carbs, fat, protein? Is there too much sodium? Are you eating only nutritious food? there's so much to learn about healthy eating.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is great, it is so supportive, helpful, motivational, and easy to use. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • free2roam66
    Options
    I'm really trying to keep my meals nutritious. I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean meats. Most of the time I do go slightly over on my protein, fat, and fiber, and slightly under on my carbs. Not a significant amount though. I'm still trying to get used to balancing everything out. My daughters are both so envious that I get to eat more to lose weight instead of less, but it is VERY hard sometimes. I get so frustrated. Sometimes I really feel like I'm going to be sick from eating so much. Any suggestions on things that are nutritious, carry a lot of calories, but don't make you feel so full?
  • menjivas
    menjivas Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I completely understand. I was under eating for about two years and I didn't lose any weight. In fact, I gained! It takes some time for your body to adjust to being "normal" and not in starvation mode. Just keep doing what you are doing and it'll get there. The best advice is stay under the carbs, and go over for protein and fiber. I always eat more protein and fiber than recommended because, as females, we need at least 25 grams of fiber each day and protein also needs to be higher. Hope that helps! Good luck!:drinker:
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Great stories. Wow I find that eating 1200 calories I am done in no time. I won't get supper if I don't get out and excersise. My only wasted calories are for a can of coke. I plan to cut that back one day but baby steps. Eating healthy with the can of coke oh ya that makes sense, but it is just the same as quiting smoking it is all an addiction.

I walk and bike. (my friend and I have a challenge with nothing at the end but the satisfaction of doing it) we are riding 500km before the end of September I am at about75kms now Long way to go, but I am sure I can do it.

I do drink tons of water, and the odd crystal lite so I don't go get another coke, as then I wouldnt be allowed any real food and it would all turn too fat.

how does it pick that you can eat 1200 calories a day? Does anyone know?

I am 38, 5'8' 173.5 Goodness the heaviest I have been in my life. Wasn't even this heavy when I was pregnant.

Thanks for reading and look forward to reading more posts!! there is tons of info on here.:happy:
  • chellebelle315
    Options
    I'm really trying to keep my meals nutritious. I eat a lot of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and lean meats. Most of the time I do go slightly over on my protein, fat, and fiber, and slightly under on my carbs. Not a significant amount though. I'm still trying to get used to balancing everything out. My daughters are both so envious that I get to eat more to lose weight instead of less, but it is VERY hard sometimes. I get so frustrated. Sometimes I really feel like I'm going to be sick from eating so much. Any suggestions on things that are nutritious, carry a lot of calories, but don't make you feel so full?

A couple of things...If you have upped your calories and you're not losing at all, how sure are you about burning 800 calories a day? Do you have a Heart Rate Monitor? I am working without one for now, so I'm always very conservative about my exercise calories. I rarely eat back more than half of my exercise calories (Caviat: I have more than 60 Lbs to lose, and so if my calorie deficits are a greater, its not unhealthy for me...If you have less to lose, you need to watch your calorie deficit more closely to keep from stalling your metabolism ) I usually target for about 1500-1700 calories per day depending on how much i exercise.

As for some high calorie foods you can incorporate into your diet that are good for you: Nuts, Nut butters (watch sugar intake here), avocado, olive oil, flax oil...those are just some ideas.

be patient, be consistent, make healthy choices. You'll start to see results!
  • free2roam66
    Options
    Yes, I already use nuts and peanut butter almost everyday. The peanut butter really does help because it adds lots of calories and protein, but not a lot of actual food. I'm not absolutely sure exactly how many calories I am burning each day, but I did some research and I rounded the estimate to about 800. I start my morning with 60 minutes on my elliptical at the highest incline and I gradually work my way through all ten resistance settings (I up the resistance about every 3 minutes) and I try to stay at the 10 setting for at least 15 minutes. Later in the day, about 3 p.m., I usually do some strength training for about 30 minutes. I use free weights and resistance bands. I work a different part of my body each day, except my core gets two days. At some point during the day I also add about 30 minutes of either bellydancing or kickboxing, whichever I am in the mood for. I estimated the calories for the strength training, bellydancing, and kickboxing to be around 200 calories for the day. As for the elliptical, the machine actually says that I burn around 1200-1300 calories for the 60 minutes, but I know better than to the believe the machine, so I halfed this to around 600. That is how I came up with the estimate of 800 per day. Does this sound right to you? Maybe I am still over or under estimating. Anyway, thanks for all of the replies and everyone has helped and given me some good ideas. I will keep trying.
  • mommy22
    mommy22 Posts: 16
    Options
    Welcome, it sounds like you'll be losing weight in no time with that routine! :tongue:
  • dbenson48
    dbenson48 Posts: 43
    Options
    You may need to increase your cardio! What are you doing to burn calories? And are you doing any weight training?:drinker: And you have to drink plenty of water!