This is always why I give up!

Options
I've been eating super healthy and exercising really hard for about 2 and a half weeks, and NOTHING. I never seem to loose weight,
and I always just give up at this point cause i feel like my body doesn't want me to do it!
Anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• emccand
    emccand Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, like its so super easy to gain weight, but extremely hard to lose it! Just keep with it, you will eventually start seeing a lose and notice a difference in your clothes. Our stubborn bodies just need time to adjust lol
  • carterjerm
    Options
    Hang in there! I went a full month of working out and eating healthy to lose weight. I have been told its usually your fat turning to muscle and don't worry about the scale as much as your measurements.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    how many calorie are you eating ? are you eating your exercise calories? are you drinking enough water?

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle building, and reducing fat. This means it is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits
  • Jessica_Sarah
    Options
    Everything Morgan said!
  • emma7437
    emma7437 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I find it takes my body at least two weeks before I start to lose weight. Its like my body eventually says, oh your serious, okay, lets do it then.

I have tried a few times, very halfheartedly, to try and lose weight, and have given up after two weeks. THis time I am serious about losing weight, and after almost seven weeks, have lost almost six kilos. But not in the first few weeks.

So, try and not give up. Give your body a chance to catch up, and once it starts, you will be able to keep going. At two weeks you are probably about to see some great results. Give yourself a bit more time.
  • zontuin
    zontuin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes. But I think part of the weight loss journey is persistence. Sometimes you are at a plateau and your body does not want to give. It is it's nature. It does not want to change. Our job is to put it under stress (good stress) with healthy foods, water, exercise. Over time, it will bend to the force of this good stress. It WILL work. It WILL work. (Repeat with me here.) You need to keep at it. The 2.5 weeks you have been working hard at this is a HUGE accomplishment. Be proud of yourself. Feel accomplished. BUT it is not long enough for your body to change. You need to keep at it. You can make it work, but only if you stick with it. Give it at least another 6 weeks, and I guarantee you will see things start to change. You can do it... and you DESERVE it!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Well I say, instead of giving up, figure out what the problem is. Are you logging your food here on MFP and counting your calories? How many calories are you eating per day? How much weight do you want to lose? What kind of exercise are you doing and how much of it?

If you make your diary public, we can take a look at it and give you suggestions for what you might want to change. There are lots of people here with lots of experience, who can help you get results.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I almost gave up a few weeks ago. After working out too much and some days not even eating all my exercise calories back, I got stuck. So what I learned from that is, do crazy things. Add some calories, have a pig out day, try drinking coffee maybe, or reduce the exercise to every other day, or take a couple days off, or eat weird and tasty foods, or pick a different workout. Something. Anything. Instead of giving up, shake it up.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Just because your not losing Pounds, doesn't mean your not losing inches and/or getting fit in the process. Don't get so hung up on the scale number it doesn't always reflect what is actually going on, I have went weeks stuck at a certain number on the scale but lost inches during that time. I had a span just a few months back I went 9 weeks and only lost 6 lbs. but I got the most compliments about how much I changed (slimmer, healthier, toned up, etc) which was really weird after all the weight I have lost to be hearing that but I started taking a closer look and I could see what they was talking about... Just stay positive and take it one day at a time, keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will get to where you want to be...... Good luck and Stay Strong!!
  • button777
    button777 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm exactly the same...... starved myself for a month after I hade my baby and lost 5lbs.... then decide to fork for a personal trainer to do it all correctly and since seeing her from before xmas my diet has changed , eating properly, exercising etc etc and I haven't lost a thing...... I'm almost ready to scream at some one !
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    no. any thing worth doing is worth doing longer then two and a half weeks.

and without your diary open and knowing your stats, i'm going to assume that you went from eating about 2200 calories a day to eating 1200 (or less), and that big drop can have some negative effects on your body, including maintaining weight.

people get into diet mode, and they think all they can eat is egg whites and veggies. to make 1200 calories on a diet like that will be very dificult. keep eating your normal and favorite foods, just in smaller quantities. drink plenty of water, and watch your sodium.

and stick with it for longer then two and a half weeks.
  • NashvilleShelley
    Options
    Your ticker says you lost 3 lbs. One pound a week is very good. Put a sodium column on your food journal if you haven't already. Drink water. Sometimes when you start to exercise you gain weight. The first week I did the 30 day shred I gained two pounds but the next week I lost it plus a pound. Wouldn't you rather eat healthy and exercise and lose weight slow than give up and gain more? It is frustrating but so worth it in the end!
  • louielouie15
    Options
    it might be muscle instead of fat, don't rely on the scales rely on your measurements! that's my aim to start with. stick at it, not only will it eventually help you lose weight but think of how good it is for you too! your body will be thanking you i'm sure :)
  • tohealth4me
    Options
    How are you feeling? Are you feeling better by exercising and losing weight? Are you sleeping better? Is your mood better? Are you enjoying the new, healthier foods?

At this point it is tough and frustrating, and we all go through it (I always want to quit when I am PMSing and it feels like I have gained weight and all I want to do is eat!)

Stick to it. Take it patiently day by day. Take yourself on a walk to clear your head and refocus on your goals. Jot down the good things in a journal and find reasons to keep doing the right things that are about making a better, healthier you, not just a thinner version of you.

I keep a few different books around (none that I care to name) that had diet, exercise advice, and then when I am feeling unmotivated I read through their motivation sections. Good luck!
  • fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Im 5"6 and 142 lbs.
    I'm eating my calories and exercising at least 30 mins a day and drinking enough water (8 glasses).
    I actually do feel a lot better in myself, a lot more awake and energized.
    My ticker is from ages ago so i've lost that since i first joined here (like a few months ago).

I know I'm actually a healthy weight for my height, its just my stomach area i need to get rid of the fat!
    thanks for the advice guys, i will stick at it x
  • TammyLynne71
    TammyLynne71 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I could of wrote the same thing this morning. At weight in I was the same I was last week. I am really seconding guessing the food choices that I thought were really good. I went back this morning and looked through them and realized they were good choices just my brain doing it mental defense on me. Maybe I am not eating enough for my size. I don't know. I just thought that the first week I would be pulling a bigger number than 0
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    you should check out staci, and her amazing transformation. http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

there is no way to spot reduce, but this girl conquered he belly fat with clean eating, a paleo diet, and heavy lifting. and i wouldn't call her bulky by any means, even at the weight in one of those last pictures (141 lbs.)
  • chattychick
    chattychick Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I feel you. I have been tracking my calories religiously, running religiously (even half marathon training. Granted I am only now up to 7 miles and I run only 4 days a week, but the other two days I am doing something else). And you know what is frustrating: according to the scale I am up 2.4 pounds. GRRRRR.

But...

and it is a big BUT...

more than one person has said "You are losing weight". So I am hoping its just my body turning fat into muscle. I can hope, right?
  • CateLouise
    CateLouise Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat
    all year i have really started being healthy going to the gym 5-7 times a week and only now am i starting to see results
    just keep going with it you will get there =D
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It took my body a while to get going.. first few months only lost 3 lb each 4-5week, then I dropped carbs and lost half a stone in one week! .. I've stayed low carb/wheat free though until I reach my goal and probably will stay low carb in general after I reach goal so it needs to be something you can stick to if you do it.