probably posted in the wrong spot

Options
Ever since I began to diet, my skin has started to break out SO badly! Does anybody have any skin products they use daily that keeps their skin clear? I am thinking of trying proactiv. My sister uses it and her skin is flawless. But I was hoping for something cheaper. Has anyone tried Proactiv? I will give this post about 5 days before I decide what to do. But I really would love your support. I have to take Acutane when I was 16 because my acne was so bad and now I feel like I am going through the same thing.

Replies

• Ahanson20
    Ahanson20 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That is so weird that your skin is breaking out more now that your dieting. My face has cleared up alot because I dont put all those sweets and artificial sugars in my mouth. It usually helps your face to go on a diet I think. Before though I have used Proactive and I love it. It is a little expensive but I believe it to be one of the best products to use. Hope this helps.
  • AudrasAlly
    Options
    Just as I lost 14 pounds, my face broke out really badly. It's hard to believe that my face did that while drinking 8 glasses of water a day & a healthy diet, and exercise, but it did. I visited the dermatologist, and was told that it is common for women my age (28) to have "hormonal acne" which is mostly around the jawline, and cheeks. After going on antibiotics (3 types) I have weighed the cost of everything I was paying for against using Proactiv.
    Here's what I found:
    With my face wash & moisturizer (CeraVe)
    Dr. visits
    antibiotics
    ...I was spending $135/month
    I made the switch to Proactiv, which is $19.99/ month.

I have seen a noticeable difference since I started using it, (December 23) and it feels much better.
    Make sure you're using all 3 steps, twice a day, and don't use any other products. (except makeup)

Good luck! Message me if you have questions!
    Audra
    http://audrasally.blogspot.com
  • lagcrg
    lagcrg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agree with the hormonal statement, as I dealt with that before starting here at MFP.. But it isn't always the female hormones it can be others...I have not tried Proactive, but see and hear good things about it..I use Noxzema over the counter any time I wash...worked when I was younger and works now, still get some breakout just not as bad..Good luck!
  • jennifer2977
    Options
    I swear by Burt's Bees face products. And to get makeup off at night I use Yes to Carrots. I rarely have breakouts anymore!
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    You need to see your OB/GYN. Most adult acne is caused by your hormones being out of whack.
  • SouthernBeauty89
    Options
    I always wash my face morning & night plus I rub on my daily face lotion. Also I use Clinique & I use my Clarisonic to wash my face. Hardly ever have any breakouts...by breakouts I mean a small pimple.
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I find that when I start (or stop) eating a certain way--such as starting to eat healthier or falling off the wagon, my face breaks out. It settles down in a couple days or a week at most and then its clear. During the time it's breaking out, I just wash as usual. For me, being older, it's my usual face wash, and not picking too much. Hope that helps. I think of it as getting rid of the junk from my old way of eating partially through my skin. It does get better with better nutrition. I hope this helps.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I had problem with adult acne and it was out of control. I did a google search and found some low cost ideas. I now use Clean and Clear or Neutrogena (the orange soap in the pump) that is non-oily anti-bacteria. I also use it on my chest as I started having acne issues there, too. It has help a lot. I also keep Clean and Clear benzoyle peroxide (sorry about spelling) for spot treatments and use lotion once or twice a week. I also don't wear make-up and never really have.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    If you are suddenly eating healthier and different from your diet before MFP, your body could be detoxing also. If you just started the diet, give it a couple weeks. Lots of water, cleanse morning and night. try to use more natural products. No sulphates, pthalates, petrochemicals, alcohols (in the products) if you can avoid it. I have the best results with Burt's Bees Deep Cleansing Cream. If I use anything else, I break out even worse. I still get the cyclic acne that comes and goes with my cycle, especially around ovulation time, but it's usually small and gone in a few days. Along with a good cleasing regime, make sure your pillows/cases and bedding, scarves, jackets, etc are being washed regularily. I also find I break out more if I use any hairspray or hair product. I have very sensitive skin that is combination oily and dry.
  • Cmm3665
    Cmm3665 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with the hormonal part as well. I'm 28 and last year I had surgery on my hip and about 1 month later my face broke out so bad I couldn't stand it. I saw a dermatologist and he gave me a expensive topical to put on, but it didn't really seem to help. He also told me to ALWAYS use "non-comedogenic" products on your face...wether it be cleansing or makeup. I ended up going to different dermatologist and she put me on an antibiotic. It has helped a LOT! She suggested accutaine but I've heard you can't have kids for 2 years after you are on it and we plan on having kids within 2 years. I hope this helps.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    I break out when I start a diet then it all settles down again after a couple of weeks. I think it's a twofold phenomenon - 1) toxins being flushed from ny skin and 2) my immune system being boosted due to the extra nutrients and exercise.
  • vhines5
    vhines5 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use the "orange stuff" as well! I can never remember the names. LOL!

Clean and Clear or Neutagena (sp???) or there is a Target brand that works great too. I keep it in the shower and wash my face every morning. I also use makeup removal wipes (Target brand) at night if I've worn makeup that day.

Good Luck!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water. You could be detoxing since you are at the beginning and your body is going to get rid of it somewhere. Also, I agree, I have several friends using Proactiv and swear by it.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I used to use Proactive- for me it would work great for about 3-5 months, and then I would start breaking out again. I know use St. Ives Apricot Scrub for blemishes, and follow that up with a Neutrogina astridgent. I then use a light non-greasy facial mosturizer, and then any make up for the day.

At night I use a Neutrogina make up removing wipe, and that's it. I will get one or two pimples during that TOM but other than that my face is clear.

Good luck with finding something that works for you! I know it can be tough.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Aveeno products are lovely! I've never really had a huge problem with acne, but I've found that Aveeno products help with my TOM acne a lot!
  • paisley2288
    paisley2288 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Thank ya'll so much!!!!! I think I will try Proactiv first. For the one who said they are going to use Acutane, please research the side effects. I didn't have any problems with it, but I've seen reports about it recently.