Grocery List---please help

Options
Hey guys, I am getting tired of eating the same stuff! What are some dinner idea or what do you buy? I really need ideas for all meals. it seems i eat cereal or eggs for breakfast. Last week i steak and some baked doritos, and for dinner it was a smart ones pizza...Yes i enjoyed it but i am looking for some more ideas.

Replies

• Radcliffe83
    Options
    Love stir fries, oyster sauce. Low cal and add what ever protein. Sprinkle some nuts aswell for extra good things...
  • shanbrown1976
    shanbrown1976 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm a in-a-rut-permanently sort of person, so I'm not the best one to answer this, but I was happy a couple of weeks ago to find Jimmy Dean D-lights breakfast sandwiches. They are 240-280 depending on which one you get, whole grain, egg whites lean (er) ham or sausage- and is a nice change from my oatmeal and raisin breakfast I have everyday. Are you able to view your friends' food journals on here? You could see what they have been eating. I've also been buying plain Greek yogurt, mixing it with a splenda packet and a 1/2 cup of blueberries... that was good, too. Pork--chops, tenderloin or roasts are a favorite around here for dinner. We are boring
  • jferris91
    jferris91 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a in-a-rut-permanently sort of person, so I'm not the best one to answer this, but I was happy a couple of weeks ago to find Jimmy Dean D-lights breakfast sandwiches. They are 240-280 depending on which one you get, whole grain, egg whites lean (er) ham or sausage- and is a nice change from my oatmeal and raisin breakfast I have everyday. Are you able to view your friends' food journals on here? You could see what they have been eating. I've also been buying plain Greek yogurt, mixing it with a splenda packet and a 1/2 cup of blueberries... that was good, too. Pork--chops, tenderloin or roasts are a favorite around here for dinner. We are boring

Not too boring it sounnds goods thanks
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You can look on the Dr Oz site and he has a grocery list on there, or its 100 items you should have in your home.

I find that being a weekend warrior(doing a bunch of cooking at one time to have during the week) is a good thing for people that may not have time or the desire to cook during the week.

Boneless skinless chicken breast is very versatile. You can actually cook several breasts at once and eat during the week, either on salads, in wraps, or reheated. For a meat eater, cooking up a london broil and slicing it thin also works to keep in the frig for a few days

I also bake several sweet potatoes at once and keep them in the frig to reheat during the week.

Frozen vegetables can be reheated in minutes in the microwave.
  • jferris91
    Options
    Love stir fries, oyster sauce. Low cal and add what ever protein. Sprinkle some nuts aswell for extra good things...

illl have to check it out
  • jferris91
    Options
    You can look on the Dr Oz site and he has a grocery list on there, or its 100 items you should have in your home.

I find that being a weekend warrior(doing a bunch of cooking at one time to have during the week) is a good thing for people that may not have time or the desire to cook during the week.

Boneless skinless chicken breast is very versatile. You can actually cook several breasts at once and eat during the week, either on salads, in wraps, or reheated. For a meat eater, cooking up a london broil and slicing it thin also works to keep in the frig for a few days

I also bake several sweet potatoes at once and keep them in the frig to reheat during the week.

Frozen vegetables can be reheated in minutes in the microwave.

Thanks
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Bag of frozen veggies and boneless skinless chicken breasts with a little soy sauce for an easy stirfry. I always have ground turkey in the freezer for tacos. Sweet potatoes go in the microwave for 7 minutes for an easy good-for-you side to baked chicken or fish. Ton of fresh veggies for a quick salad with precooked chicken pieces or tuna fish on top. Go to allrecipes.com and you can actually search recipes based on the ingredients you have in the house. There are also a ton of menu planning sites to help you with your grocery list :)
  • LoriBarefoot
    LoriBarefoot Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I love ground turkey patted out into "hamburger steaks." Season with salt, pepper, and onion powder and when they're done add a can of 98% fat free cream of mushroom as gravy to the pan. Tastes like the real thing!! Nahm nahm nahm num num...woo good stuff!
  • angela72023
    Options
    The Special K website has some great recipes/meal planning ideas on there. Just surf the web and you will find a TON of meal planning sites to help you get out of the boring cycle :)
  • Missjilly1025
    Missjilly1025 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I found this website via someone on here. The recipes are simple and soooo yummy. Tonight we are having spinach lasagna rolls :)

Www.skinnytaste.com
  • mm3898
    mm3898 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    One of my go-to staples is a baked sweet potato with steamed broccoli and feta cheese on top. It is really filling, healthy, and the feta adds a burst of flavor to it all. It probably takes max 10 minutes to put together and the ingredients aren't to expensive.

Best wishes!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my ideas from www.tasteofhome.com - great recipe site that offers tons of ways to search for recipes (by meal, healthy, time it takes to cook the meal, etc). I typically get 75% of my recipes from that site.
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    check out skinnytaste.com
    the recipes are delicious, healthy, and the nutrition is listed.
  • lmhuffinc
    Options
    I use www.e-mealz.com, they have different meal plans and include a grocery list for you every week. It is only $5 a month. My family loves it.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I'm boring for breakfast.....McDonalds....either oatmeal with no brown sugar or egg mcmuffin if they don't have the other. I'm going to experiment with Quinoa for breakfast at some point.

Lunches I do Trader Joes frozen meals under 400 calories.....usually Lamb Vindaloo, chicken verde burrito, eggplant parmesan, chicken tikka masala, paneer tikka masala, etc. And a snack from the cafeteria....usually a little cup of chicken salad.

Dinners I have so easy, low cal go to's (usually under 500 calories):

Meatball subs (classico pasta sauce--60 cal, S. Rosen brat and sausage roll--160 cal, turkey meatballs from Target (6)--130 cal)
    Tostadas (2 tostada shells--120 cal, 1 serving black beans mashed with a little water/salt for texture--100 cal, ground turkey with taco seasoning--120 cal for low fat or up to 160 cal for higher, lettuce--15 cal, salsa (2TBSP)--20 cal and sometimes I use 1/2 an avacado because I like it--104 cal)
    Pork roast with marinade, instant mashed potatoes, corn/peas (under 500 cal....just search for the pork roast).
    Pork chops
    Rotisserie chicken or whole chicken cooked in crockpot (low 7.5 hours just put in and put whatever seasoning you want on top--I do Italian seasoning sprinkled on)
    Easy Vegetarian Chili (from www.3fatchicks.com under recipes--makes 8-2 Cup servings) around 330 cals
    BBQ Pork Roast (with bun just over 500 calories)--crock pot, 2 lb pork roast, 1 bottle BBQ sauce, cook on low 7 hours and then shred and mix in with juice.
    Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf (www.allrecipes.com and look it up).

so my grocery list is
    Whole Chicken, rotisserie chicken, ground turkey, black beans, salsa, tostada shells, lettuce, frozen veggies, pork roast, pork chops, peppers, onions, quinoa.

I also do meal planning so I plan what I eat for the week and only buy for my menu that week. Quinoa and black beans are just a staple, always have turkey meatballs in the freezer cuz the kids love them and buy weekly.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Those sandwich rounds are good to have on hand. You can use them for breakfast (turkey & LF cheese) or lunch. Here is a link to Weight Watcher's Garden veggie soup. Very easy, make a big batch and add to lunch or dinner. Dinner have a cup of this soup and a blackened chicken breast.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/weight-watchers-garden-vegetable-soup

Southwestern wraps for lunch or dinner. The MayoClinic.com has LOADS of healthy recipes. Good luck!

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00554
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned this already but I will expand. If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they have tons of good take-and-go options or frozen meal options. Their ready made, individual salads are fantastic (watch the dressing on some). They also have some great hot-cereal options in the frozen food aisle that are individual, microwavable servings.

Also check-out www.hungrygirl.com. (Ignore the "girl" part). She does a great job of presenting low-cal options and new grocery store finds.
  • sallyspan
    sallyspan Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I get most of my healthy recipes from CookingLight.com or EatingWell.com, focusing on the "Superfast" or "Five Ingredients and Under" section so I don't have to buy a ton of extra groceries. Some of my go-to meals are...

1) Light enchiladas with rotisserie chicken (cuts down on cooking time and can use leftovers)
    2) Stir Fry (hoisin sauce, soy sauce, chix broth - all low sodium)
    3) Flank Steak grilled with asparagus
    4) Turkey chili for cold winter nights
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on whether you like to cook and be creative or not.

I like to cook, and try new recipes. I use this website called allrecipes.com You can add recipes to your box and pick the ones you want to cook and it will create a shopping list for you.

If you just want some simple ideas, look at healthy things you like and plan for those.

I like, eggs, oatmeal and sandwich rounds with crunchy peanut butter for breakfast.
    For my oatmeal, I get istant quick cooking, add 1/2 cup frozen blueberries, 1T ground flaxseed and some sweetened coconut flakes.
    For eggs, I make a sandwich using one whole egg, one egg white (microwaved in a microwave cooker made in the USA :bigsmile: that I bought at Walmart for 5 bucks) on a bagel flat and a slice of cheese.
    Toast an Arnolds rye sandwich round with crunchy peanut butter.
    All with my morning coffee.

For lunch
    Sandwich any kind on a sandwich round.
    A big salad with leftover meat from last nights dinner.
    Lean cuisine or WW meal.

DInner, Chicken, steak, fish, pork etc. sometimes stir fried, ususally baked or broiled.
    Steamed rice and a green veggie.

For snacks
    I do cottage cheese and fruits,
    hummus and carrots,
    chabani yogurt with granola or ground flax seed.
    Special k meal bars.