free weights vs. weight machines

Options
i've been doing the weight machines. my gym has them set up so if you go through them all you have done a full body workout. i read that i should put the resistance high enough that by the 11 or 12th rep, i'm struggling.

does this sound like an "effective" regiment? should i be doing whole body every day? or split it up?

Replies

• TiffaniBarrett
    TiffaniBarrett Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Personally, I split it up (I train 3 days)

Day one: Core & Arms/Shoulders
    Day two: Legs and Core
    Day three: Arms/Shoulders & Legs

If I have some extra time, I'll do some extra exercises using a different area.
    It doesn't really matter if you do a full workout every time. But you shouldn't be doing it every day - your muscles need time to rest.

And yes, you should be struggling in the last 2 reps of the set!
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    It sounds like a very effective regimen. You shouldn't train every body part every day, so if you're doing a full-body workout I would keep it to 3-4 days a week and do cardio on your inbetween days.

Are you asking whether free weights would be more effective than resistance machines? The difference with free weights is that more muscles are used as stabilizers when working with free weights. With free weights you generally use your core more efficiently.. but weight machines are very effective as well, when used properly. I'd say do whatever you prefer.
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I was kind of asking both. Are weight machines effective? Should I be doing free weights instead? (They scare me, though. It is where all the super fit and muscle bound dudes hang out. Um...yeah. Not ready for that.) And is my workout effective as is.

I don't do it every day. I shouldn't have said that. Every day I workout. I take two rest days a week.
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I've actually read that for those who are just starting weight/strength training for the first month you are supposed to do full body workouts. I've also been told it's a good way to blast your metabolism... I know it bumped me off my plateau awhile ago! From what I've read though, 2-3 days a week/full body workout/4 weeks. Or split it into upper body/lower body for the first 4 weeks. And free weights are supposedly more effective than machines... lol but the weight pit intimidates the heck outta me.. So I use machines =P
  • BrandyontheRun
    BrandyontheRun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Not saying machines are not effective!! just had to add that lol
  • msmouse14
    Options
    Ya, if you are going to do a full body workout each day then you want to take a break between each day for sure. As for the reps, yes the goal is to do about 10 reps per set but try and do 12. If you can do 12 reps for each set then that is when you want to up the weight. If you are going to just tone things up and not really bulk anything up then you would want to just add reps and a little weight.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Free weights are more effective as they require you to use more stabilising muscles, but if you're not ready for that the machines are fine as they still work the main muscle groups.

Stick with full body a couple of times a week until you notice your recovery times after a session improving, then start to split your workout into 3 days :)
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i mix it up . and yes if you are trying to build muscle you should do your rep to failure ..
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    OP: I do the exact same workout. I do 3 sets of 10, and by the last set around 8, I am struggling and have to really push to complete 10. The row of machines completes a full body workout and I do the same on each machine. Takes me about an hour and my heart rate gets anywhere from 100 (on small muscle groups) to 130 (on large muscle groups).

I do this twice a week, on my cross training days of my running training program.
  • ali2882
    Options
    I have heard you should not do your entire body every day. Let us say you want to work on your arms and thighs..you would work your arms one day and your thighs the next. Cardio can and should be done every day :) Hope this helps!
  • TeresaC79
    TeresaC79 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to build muscle but also don't want to "bulk up" just tone.

I've been doing some kind of weight training daily though. Once I get to the gym, I start on cardio, then do weights, then back to cardio. I was doing multiple days in a row of weights though. Some times whole body daily.

That isn't good? :ohwell:

I have been unable to find any thing on line (I'm probably searching wrong) about a good way to go about starting weight training. This is all new to me.

Thanks for the help!
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    Free weights are HIGHLY effective and work more than the target muscle. The concept is that you have to balance the weight as you lift it and this causes many more muscles to fire. Standing on one leg is a good example. If you don't do it very often, you will notice your muscles aren't really ready for it and will be firing like crazy back and forth to maintain balance.
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options
    Women bulking up is a MYTH! You won't bulk up unless you are really trying to!
  • ansonrinesmith
    Options

I've been doing some kind of weight training daily though. Once I get to the gym, I start on cardio, then do weights, then back to cardio. I was doing multiple days in a row of weights though. Some times whole body daily.

I have been unable to find any thing on line (I'm probably searching wrong) about a good way to go about starting weight training. This is all new to me.

Thanks for the help!
    New Rules of Lifting for Women
    http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Women-Goddess/dp/1583332944
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options

Thanks for the help!

dont worry about "bulking up", adding muscle requires a calorie surplus.............packing on lots of muscle doesn't happen by accident........believe me, to add muscle you need to eat over your calories just as to remove fat you eat under
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

Thanks for the help!

Don't worry about bulking up - you won't! You have to consume a calorie surplus to bulk up, plus it's VERY difficult for a woman to do. Female bodybuilders generally have a calorie surplus during their bulking phase, and use lots of supplements. If you're not actively trying to bulk up, you won't. Strength training will build lean, feminine, AWESOME muscle, even if you lift heavy.

ETA: Haha.. I see this point was already addressed by PPs.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Free weights are more effective as they require you to use more stabilising muscles, but if you're not ready for that the machines are fine as they still work the main muscle groups.

Stick with full body a couple of times a week until you notice your recovery times after a session improving, then start to split your workout into 3 days :)

In addition to doing the free weights you can perform the reps on a BOSU ball which will force your core muscles to work all the time.
    Personally, I lift every other day, full body. I do the BOSU work out twice a week usually and machines once or twice a week, just to mix things up.
  • ISTAYRIPPED
    Options
    Great response!
  • karenyg
    karenyg Posts: 79
    Options
    :smile: I think the mixing it up is the best way for me to get better results.:smile:
  • laurensohn22
    laurensohn22 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-easons-livefit-phase-1.html?mcid=TC-jelivefit&rmid=jamie_eason_livefit_week1&rrid=6884380 this is what I'm using, you don't have to follow the meal plan but it gives you some basics and uses free weights as well as machines . This will definently help you tone and give you an idea of what muscle groups your doing each day :)