Back Workouts

Options
Ok so I have lost 31 pounds in a little over 2 months and am proud of that feat. I still want to lose 10 more to be in the healthy range of the BMI. I know its not an exact science but its at least a motivator to keep up my working out. I do 30 minutes on a eliptical a day and do the occasional (2 - 3 times a week) video like 30 day shred. Another goal I have is to get my back looking more defined so that I may get a new tattoo across the top of my back and shoulder area but I want to have it look good. I seemed to have reached my Plateu the last couple weeks because my weigh in this week showed no loss, no gain either, I plan on getting my tattoo in about a month.
First question, anyone know of a good exercise or video that helps with defining the back? And second, I notice my weight loss in my arms and hands and upper body, like chest (no more man boobs). How can you tell if your losing in your back?
Any ideas or suggestion are welcome. I know it might sound silly but the tattoo is also one of my motivators.

Replies

• Bigplay691
    Bigplay691 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ??
  • ISTAYRIPPED
    Options
    A good exercise for your back is pull ups. If you are unable to do them then see if your gym has an "assisted pull up/dip machine.
    As for measuring your back, use skin fold calipers. Some else will have to take the measurement for you but that will be your best bet. Check out exrx.net for skin fold sites.
  • ISTAYRIPPED
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss! That's awesome.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    For checking back fat, calipers is your best bet.

Back exercises:
    Deadlift
    Pullups
    Barbell Row
    Seated Row
    Lat Pulldown
    Hyper Extension
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You can't lose fat in a specific part of your body until your body is ready. Like my body, I'm lean everywhere but my torso, but I can make it look thinner by increasing muscle mass in my arms, shoulders, backs, and legs.

That being said, pull-ups were already mentioned as a great exercise, but lat pull downs will work if you can't do pull-ups. Also don't forget barbell rows (or use the row machine) to hit your middle back and good mornings or supermans to strengthen your lower back. Then there's the mack daddy of back exercises, deadlifts...but don't try it with heavy weight until you get your form down or you'll really hurt yourself.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    A good exercise for your back is pull ups. If you are unable to do them then see if your gym has an "assisted pull up/dip machine.
    As for measuring your back, use skin fold calipers. Some else will have to take the measurement for you but that will be your best bet. Check out exrx.net for skin fold sites.

some gyms also have big rubber bands that you wrap around a pullup bar and tuck your foot or knees into that will help you when doing a pullup.
    or if you workout with a partner you will be amazed how many more reps you can do if your partner is spotting you by giving your feet a small push upwards
  • Bigplay691
    Bigplay691 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks, helps alot. Doing dumbell rows and just started with seated Lat pulldown yesterday. Seems so obvious but i guess i was looking to in depth.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Thanks, helps alot. Doing dumbell rows and just started with seated Lat pulldown yesterday. Seems so obvious but i guess i was looking to in depth.

make sure you push your chest out and pull the bar to your collar bone when doing lat pulldowns. it's okay to use a little momentum too
  • nikolaim5
    nikolaim5 Posts: 233
    Options
    Pull ups or lat pull downs are great for lats but your goal is to improve your canvas for a tattoo on your upper back and shoulders. You'll want some heavy bent over rowing and dead lifts for this. Overhead pressing for shoulders.