Mac and Cheese Light

Options
eleanoreb
eleanoreb Posts: 621 Member
macaroni.jpg

macaroni2.jpg

I have been craving macaroni and cheese for ages, so when I spotted this recipe for a healthier, lighter version in Fitness magazine, I decided to give it a try. I was intrigued by the fact that it doesn't use butter, milk or cream, and instead uses onion/garlic to build flavour and texture. It does take a little prep time but it's worth it! It is quite addictive and perfect comfort food for this cold weather. I am looking forward to having leftovers for lunch.

Ingredients
Nonstick cooking spray (or drop of oil)
Salt
4 ounces whole wheat macaroni ( I used half whole wheat half regular)
1/2 cup onion-garlic puree*
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 cup shredded 50 percent reduced-fat cheddar ( I only had mozzarella so i used that)
1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1/4 cup whole wheat panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
* This puree was very intriguing. You \ to put 1 onion with 9 cloves of garlic ( I used just 4, as 9 seemed excessive) in a covered dish in the microwave with 1/2 cup of water for 10 minutes! You then blend it in a blender (magic bullet works great), and it comes out looking like a white, creamy sauce. The leftover puree can be kept in the fridge in a container for a few days.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist an 8-by-8-inch baking dish with cooking spray; set it aside.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add macaroni and cook according to package directions, drain.
Meanwhile, bring onion-garlic puree, mustard, and cayenne to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring often. Whisk in cheddar until melted. Remove from heat and whisk in yogurt.
In a medium bowl, toss the macaroni with the cheese sauce. Season with salt to taste. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle panko over the top. Top with Parmesan.
Bake until Parmesan is melted and macaroni is hot throughout, about 10 minutes.

Replies

• berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    That looks/sounds delicious!
  • bhappy_5
    bhappy_5 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Love mac and cheese!!! Looks amazing!!!
  • jayanne0907
    jayanne0907 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Sounds wonderful.... Going to try this weekend. Thanks
  • mizsparky
    Options
    calories?
  • LoreleiWalks
    LoreleiWalks Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! That looks amaaazzzzzinnnggggg!
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    calories?

Sorry, I forgot to include the nutritional info. here it is:

Nutrition facts per serving ( 1/4 of the recipe, about 2/3 cup): 237 calories, 17g protein, 31g carbohydrate, 7g fat, 3g fiber
  • Foxworth81
    Foxworth81 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Oooooohhh...BUMP
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    that looks and sounds awesome!

i bet the onion / garlic puree would be awesome in mashed potato and or cauliflower!!
  • bgc85
    bgc85 Posts: 68
    Options
    Looks and SOUNDS fabulous! :) Thanks!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of cheese, though. I made a box of noodles on Sunday, a lb., and only used an 8 oz block of cheese.
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    bump
  • eleanoreb
    Options
    that looks and sounds awesome!

i bet the onion / garlic puree would be awesome in mashed potato and or cauliflower!!

ooh, good idea!! I might try that with the leftovers

You can always adapt it if you dont want that much cheese.
  • txjulie
    txjulie Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This sounds great & do-able! Thanks!
  • piercedbeauty21
    Options
    Mmm, that sounds amazing right now!
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    annnnnnnnnnnd bump. Thanks!
  • surgesilk
    Options
    8oz (shredded) would be way more than 1 1/4 cups of cheese.
    That's a lot of cheese, though. I made a box of noodles on Sunday, a lb., and only used an 8 oz block of cheese.
  • shanna0413
    shanna0413 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhh! Thank you for this. I usually make Alton Brown's baked mac & cheese, and this looks like a great way to get that yummy, baked, crumbly goodness for a lot less cals.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    annnnnnnnnnnd bump. Thanks!
  • clarebrad
    clarebrad Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    yum , will try in the weekend. Like the sounds of the Onion Garlic Puree think could use that is alot of things to really boost the flavor.