Depression and weight loss

Options
I'm not sure if this is the right location for this question. But does anyone suffer from depression and are trying to lose weight?

I go through what I call "Depression Spells", I usually end up depressed for weeks at a time or sometimes long. And this has sent me into a comfort-food tailspin. This past week has been this way and I'm to the point that I'm fed up with this need to figure something out.

Can anyone relate to this. I don't want a week of healthy living then weeks of comfort-food/fast food gorging fest. Does anyone know a way, I guess the easiest way to say this is, replace the fullness/satisfying feeling or know how to overcome this hurdle?

Thanks.

Replies

• FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have similer issues and what works for me is I just excersise more to cover the increased calorie intake not uncommon for me to be at 1hr 30 mins cardio per day on bad weeks. To each their own though depending on severity of depression consult a doctor.
  • khaleesinoodlebelly
    khaleesinoodlebelly Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I suffer from Depression/Anxiety and was kind of sucessful last year with a good amount of weight loss. When I was in that zone of sucessful weight loss I used exercise as a comfort and the knowledge that I was treating my body better and getting healthier and it actually helped so much with anxiety. I am 7 months or so off the wagon. And have gained a great deal back from old habits but once you can find that groove try not to lose it because unfortunately it is so easy to slip.
  • shoelover78
    Options
    That's a tough one.... I find that I still unfortunately do that. Exercise has been the key for me! (I've been on MFP before and lost quite a bit of weight) I find when I workout for at LEAST 30min/day I feel pretty good and that motivates me; most days; to not eat bad. Bad days/weeks will happen, but don't let that stop you in the long run! Remember you're here to change your lifestyle!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am bi-polar and I have good news - exercise and proper nutrition definitely help with the depression symptoms but, when push comes to shove, you are going to have to learn to make positive choices regardless of how you feel.
    I blog regularly and a lot of my blogs relate to stress/depression and fitness. You may want to read through a few of them for ideas if nothing else. www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/coryida
  • Thulpa
    Thulpa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I can completely relate, here are some things that I do

I get as much sunlight as I can, I am outside almost every minute in summer, and when I can in the winter.
    I eat as healthy as I can, not need to beat myself up twice once for being heavy, once for eating foods that make me heavy
    Remove all the comfort food from your house, if you absolutely desire comfort food, you will have to drive to it, giving you time to talk yourself out. Never bring it back if you don't, just buy a snack size
    Get real spectrum light bulbs, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) plays a huge affect on people in the winter.
    Get motivated. When I wanted to get back to the gym and start working out again, I would grab pictures of Jim Cordova, someone whose body type I admired. If you look at the goals everyday you are more likely to try for them.
    Keep a depression Journal, when it happens, how long, any effects, cravings, etc. If you find yourself up and down a lot, you may want to see a doctor.

Hope these help, good luck to you
  • chedainc
    Options
    I'm there with you...I went to a therapist for the depression and am on an anti-depressant it is helping a lot!!! you might try seeing a therapist...if you do hopefully you will get someone who is really good and help with the depression. Good Luck :smile:
  • sahmofboys
    Options
    I've been having a tough time of it lately b/c of the same issues. Winter is always harder for me. I live in Maine so it's too cold to feel like going outside, less sunshine. But when I exercise at least 30 minutes a day for at least 5 days in a week, I feel so much better. The Dr. told me that exercise can be as good as a low dose of meds. I find it to be so true for myself. When I'm regularly exercising, I feel better and make better food choices. Sometimes, you just have to learn to feel hungry. When I lower my caloric intake, I always feel hungry for a few days. The good news is you get used to it. I try to keep away from eating candy, even if it's within allotted calories, because I crave it if I have just one piece. I don't like feeling that something is controlling me. You can do this! You will feel better the healthier you are and the closer you get to your weight loss goals.
  • jennilaura83
    jennilaura83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have similar issues and have been trying to moderate myself by becoming more aware of the calories in things so when I want to binge I can think of how much jogging/swimming etc would be required not to sabotage myself. Its inspired by CBT techniques. It might be handy to look at a book on this. It is however really really difficult. Getting a handle on comfort eating seems to actually make my depressive spells worse - a LOT worse. If you feel that the two are heavily linked, it might be a good idea to talk to a consellor or GP to decide which to tackle first and how.

There was a really very good BED support group thread about a couple of months ago...
  • kbeller88
    kbeller88 Posts: 139
    Options
    me!! me!!! after I had my son everything started...Post-partum psychosis, anxiety, PTSD, and Depression. It wasn't a fun time. I still take my meds but I can tell my body needs the exercise with it though...i just wanna be healthy and not have to take medicine anymore or smoke for that matter. I also have whats call Depersonalization Personality Disorder which is something I developed as a kid...its basically a way for me to cope with stress, I just detach myself from everyone and everything so that I dont' get hurt...I love my family and friends and will do anything for them but as a personality thing I can be your best friend one minute and honestly feel as though I don't know you...its very frustrating but I'm learning new lifestyles
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem and when I am feeling really down and anxious I will binge. It's hard to remember that exercise MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER, way better than eating another candy bar. I don't know about you but I get super guilty and down on myself when I mess up my diet so it's just better for my mental health to eat well and exercise. Sure I will have cheat days, I just can't let it get to be a week you know? Good luck, i feel your pain.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm there with you. I've found that getting out (ie - go somewhere else) to exercise is crucial for me, and the tougher it is, the better (I'm now training in Ninjustu and am downright giddy after classes). It gives me something to look forward to, and I enjoy the soreness in the days following, because it makes me feel like I've accomplished something, and the martial arts provide me with a sense of personal power that does wonders for the confidence.

As for the food itself - the best way to keep from eating it is to not have it around. You can't eat what you don't have. If you don't live alone, have the person you live with hide your car keys, so if you try to go out and get the item you want, you need to find an alternative form of transportation. At least then, you'll burn off some of the calories of that item.
  • BrandNewMia
    Options
    I also live with depression and anxiety, and like others have said, exercise and good nutrition help, a lot. It's not good enough to just eat fewer calories, you have to fuel your body properly and choose foods that your body needs. Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, healthy carbs. Remember that eating sugar leads to craving MORE sugar. Drink water.

You have to make the decision to stop comfort eating. Redirect your attention when you get the blues - instead of heading for the kitchen, step outside and take a walk. Do jumping jacks, push-ups - anything to get your mind off food. You have to change your habits and get your body used to doing something else. You have to believe that you can do this, and you will!
  • renvamp195
    Options
    Oh dear yes, you are not alone. I have Borderline Personality Disorder, PTDS, depression, and insomnia. I have been around the block and back again. I don't take meds because of BPD they caused a sever reaction and I ended up in a wheel chair, walker, cane and having a stroke and in a coma. The doctor treating me did the wrong thing and was giving me over 20 different meds at the same time causing the above mention, should have known better as I am in the medical field and should have had a red flag going all over the place. I came out of the coma end of May 2011 but lost a whole year of my life, ( I have no memory of 2010). Sorry I digress, my advice as much as its worth, please do the research and look inside yourself. What brings you pleasure the most, besides eating and ingesting foods. Is it going for a walk, theater, art, getting lost in a forest (one of my favorites). Its being active and treat yourself with one thing that you really like to do. The more you eat and gain weight the more depressed you are going to be. If need be please find a group meeting and talk about your problems things that are bothering you. PLEASE DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR HELP. Times are hard but know there are other people like you out there. Keep in touch, know that there are people out here in this world wide web that really do care about other people.
  • Happinessgrl
    Happinessgrl Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to go through some type of depression, self-pity, unstable, or low self confidence/esteem state. I started this journey 1 year 4 months ago and since that time I have lost 92 pounds and I still have those moments. In fact, today I got sent to the principle's office (i.e. my trainer's office) because over the last 2 months I was letting my mind control me and not me control my mind. I don't think that you can ever get rid of it but you learn to control it. The trick is to know two things: what your triggers are & what those little magical things are that will help pull you up by your boot straps and get you out of that funk. It is a constant battle of the mind and I have to continuously get out of my own thoughts and tell myself that I have proven to be stronger that any temporary thought that decides to pop into my mind. My mind has attempted to sabotage this journey time and time again but every time it does my spirit will beat it down. You really have to take control of your "stinkin thinkin" just like you do your food, your fitness, and your life in general. When you do, that is when the magic starts to happen. When I feel myself slipping into that state, I get all dolled up, get out of the house, and go strutting my stuff where ever I feel the urge to just do me. Good luck and take it one day, one moment, and one happy thought at a time. :-)
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Get real spectrum light bulbs, Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) plays a huge affect on people in the winter.

I got a spectrum light and use it for 20-30 minutes when I first wake up. I feel that it has helped me (But its not the only thing that helped). Anti-depression medication never worked for me so I stopped those a few years ago. My biggest motivator is to see that first pound drop off and it was all good from there. I am in the same boat when I do not see dramatic results immediately I get depressed about the weight loss and give up. I promise a big portion of how you feel can be changed by how you talk to yourself. I would stand infront of the mirror and feel disgusted and say that I was stupid to myself. When I consciously made the effort to be positive it got easier for me. :)
  • peggyj49
    peggyj49 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have been depressed for years. Two years ago I had to close my business because of my health, My Mom lived with me the last seven years of her life and she had dementia ,I had become very over weight. I felt like every thing in my life was out of control. The more weight I gained the weaker and sicker I became. I was too weak to exercise and my joints and muscles were not working properly. I started seeing a Doctor. He told me to walk as much as I could to start building up some strength and told me to cut out sugars and starches. To eat lots of vegetables and lean meat and most important eat lots of protein. I am suppose to eat half my body weight in grams of protein each day. You have to eat lots of protein to have healthy muscles. I eat hemp hearts (has 10 grams of protein in a tablespoon ) every morning in oatmeal sweetened with stevia and that gives me 61 grams of protein to start my day. I started walking, getting stronger, and losing weight. Then the depression started getting better. Its been six months and I do have depressed days once in a while and want to comfort myself with food BUT not often. The more weight I lose the better I feel about myself , I have a feeling of self worth for the first time in years. You can do this. Each pound you lose makes you feel better and look better. Each pound you lose gives you back a little more control of your life and circumstances. I hope this has helped you some. Oh yes and MOVE. It don't have to be a exercise but move your body. Do not sit at TV or computer all day , dust furniture , walk around, my favorite is window shopping ( I usually don't have money to spend ) but move your body.
  • CuttingtheTies
    Options
    I've been diagnosed with both Major Depression and Borderline Personality Disorder (along with a few other things).
    I'm also a Social Work Student studying in the Mental Health Field.

I can assure you that exercise does in fact help people cope with depression. If you eat to comfort yourself, try to have more fruit available. Fruit is quick and easy to prepare and it certainly helps me when I head to food for comfort.

If you ever need anything, I'm here. Just a friend request away. <3
  • Betsiz17
    Betsiz17 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I have to chime in- me, too. I totally get it. I have had depression/anxiety for years! My husband died 3 years ago, I work 2 jobs, have 2 kids in college and stress, stress, stress. I am now having knee problems that is making exercising (and just about everything else) really hard. I just cam back from the dr. and cried when I saw the word obese on my diagnosis. Talk about adding to the depression! Anyway, what to do to help you? I agree with the suggestion of not having in the house. Then you really have to think about the binge before you partake. Walk outside as much as possible. Write in a journal. Reach out to a friend (just like you did today )- Great job! Look at all the great help people are offering you.
  • thehealthdirect
    Options
    I was obese 3 years ago. A close friend of mine died after getting hit by a drunk driver. I was very depressed for a while after that but there was a single moment in my life where I thought to myself that this isn't what he would want for me. I shouldn't feel sorry for myself. That moment of thinking that has changed my life since. I have been working out regularly and following close instructions from the article -31 day fat loss cure- which can be found at: http://thehealthdirect.com/?p=50
    I began to feel more healthy after the first few day. It has been 3 years following this plan and I am no longer depressed and have found new meaning and motivation in life. When I realized how fragile life is and how lucky I am to even be alive I realized I shouldn't be wasting it. Check out the article. It covers everything from dieting to exorcises to ways on motivating yourself.
    I wish the best of luck to you and hope you can still find the drive inside of you to make better changes that will stick with you the rest of your life. Prove everyone wrong around you who has never thought you would be able to do it!
  • lunarescape
    lunarescape Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I suffer from depression/take anti-depresssants. That's how I gained weight in the first place. Then I decided that I'm not going to give in to the comfort food, no matter how bad I feel. Exercising and eating healthy really helps elevate my mood.