Costco Food

Options
I just got a Costco membership in hopes that I will be able to buy frozen lean meats and veggies and:flowerforyou: fruits/veggies to juice(plus some other household items) in bulk and no longer have excuses about not having low fat food at my home.

Because I'm new, I'd like any help I can get in understanding what healthy food options Costco has. What healthy foods do you buy at Costco?

Replies

• Beckym1205
    Beckym1205 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    They have good deals on fresh fruits and veggies (but make sure you can eat all of them before they spoil). And my best find about a week ago was a pack of 14 veggie burger patties for 10 bucks (I had been spending way more than that for fewer patties at the grocery store). Plus they have a few Jillian Michaels DVDs for like 7 bucks.
  • jj1983
    jj1983 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    They have good frozen fish fillets, smart pasta, lots of lean meats, yogurt and their nutrition/vitamins section is great. I also love that they have massive bags of frozen veggies and fruits.
  • mncodergal
    mncodergal Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    They also have a lot of organic foods. I love shopping there.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    They have good frozen fish fillets, smart pasta, lots of lean meats, yogurt and their nutrition/vitamins section is great. I also love that they have massive bags of frozen veggies and fruits.

^^^ This
  • TundraTed
    TundraTed Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I stock up on their Frozen Chicken Breasts (individually wrapped), frozen shrimp, and I love the Basil/Pesto Tilapia. They also have great frozen fish fillets of all types.
  • dklw
    dklw Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Premier protein drinks cheaper than elsewhere.

Kirkland Eggwhites in pints (good for 16 "egg equivalents" each) in a pack cheaper than other options (eggwhites are a great source of low calorie protein).
  • hbiffle
    hbiffle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I buy their frozen veggies all the time! They have giant bags of broccoli and different veggie mixtures for $6-9!!! And during the summer I stock up on their fruits - they have the best cut pineapple and strawberries!! My husband also loves their frozen salmon - if you like fish!
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like to buy brown rice and quinoa from Costco. I also found good deals on vitamins (I take a multivitamin like Centrum Forte, plus at least an extra 2000 IU of Vitamin D a day).
  • mikapatch
    Options
    I buy ground turkey and organic vegetables (fresh and frozen).
  • KaitKaz
    KaitKaz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you're into smoothies their prices for frozen fruit and pure juices are great... a great breakfast or snack:)
  • wk9t
    wk9t Posts: 237 Member
    Options

They also have Greek Yogurt and great prices on protein powder, pre-mixed protein drinks and energy bars. Be sure to pick up a coupon book at the Membership desk. They always have coupons for vitamins and supplements.
  • sunnygal1
    Options
    I LOVE Costco! In addition to their amazing fresh meats and produce and their awesome frozen fruits and veggies, try out their frozen berries. Blend 3/4 Cup of frozen Rader Farms mixed berries with one scoop of Cytosport whey protein (also at Costco in the nutritional supplements area!) and water for a snack that will keep you feeling full and energized for hours! :) One more tip I have about Costco, bypass the oh-so-tempting samples that they give out--they can really add up!
  • LittleFootHafner
    Options
    All Costcos are a little different, but mine has:
    Light Baby Bel Cheese Rounds
    Light Skinny Cow Cheese Triangles
    Plain 0% Greek Yogurt
    Light Cheese Heads
    Turkey Sausages (fresh)
    Chicken Breasts & other Lean Meats
    Fresh Brocolli Salad
    All Kinds of Fresh Fruits & Vegetables
    Large Bags of Frozen Fruits & Vegetables
    Dried Fruits
    Raw Natural Almonds
    Vita Muffins (in freezer)
    Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches
    Whey Protein Powder
    Vitamins
    Bottled Water
    Water Bottles to Refill on Your Own
    Tons of Great Workout Clothes
    Fresh Pastas (brocolli & white cheddar is lower for a treat!)
    Pitas & Wraps
    Pita Bites (baked pita chips - kinda like crackers)
    Frozen Fish Filets (most are even individually wrapped!)
    POP chips & Veggies sticks (chip substitutes - both great tasting!) ;)

Good Luck! ;)
  • kailysimpson
    Options
    OMG COSTCO! I just went shopping there on Saturday. I LOVE Costco! They have their own brank (Kirkland) Greek Yogurt that is fantastic and cheap! And I bought a tray of Chobani Greek Yogurt also. I got organic frozen broccoli and green beans, organic chicken breasts, ground beef, Clif bars (which my husband LOVES), the pre-sliced organic apples (for my kids, their favorite), HUGE boxes of strawberries for only $3.99! I was super excited. PLUS they have this new bread - it's by Sarah Lee and it's Honey Wheat and it's only 45 calories per slice, with very low carbs, plus they sell the Sarah Lee white-wheat with no HFCS which I buy for my kids. They also have great prices on organic milk, and their eggs are cheap also. I also got a huge box of Healthy Choice soups that are only 100 calories per can! I also got my family's biggest weakness - the peanut butter filled pretzels!!! Have fun! I LOVE Costco!
  • RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am a big Costco dependent when I workout.

A few things that I always get from Costco

- Kirkland Egg Whites/Eggs by the dozen.
    - Chicken meat. I even buy their rotisserie chicken and eat it without the skin. It's awesome to add to Mexican food.
    - Morningstar Veggie burger patties and veggie sausage patties. I also get Morningstar Black bean burger patties. All 3 provide me with my protein.
    - Cheese.
    - Kirkland almonds, walnuts, mixed fruit and nuts.
    - Fruits.
    - Pre-cut veggies.
    - Protein powder to add to shakes.
    - Fage 0% Fat Greek Yogurt.
    - Vitamins and Minerals, Kirkland brand.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I usually buy Foster Farms fully cooked frozen chicken breast strips. Just let thaw or microwave and add to salad. They have a big container of salad for only like $3-$4. Sometimes good deals on big packs of berries. Their 18pk extra large eggs ar e a good deal too. Oh yeah their water too!
  • jj1983
    jj1983 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Premier protein drinks cheaper than elsewhere.

Kirkland Eggwhites in pints (good for 16 "egg equivalents" each) in a pack cheaper than other options (eggwhites are a great source of low calorie protein).

Yes! I forgot about the 3 pack of Egg White Cartons, about half price as what you would pay for them individually at a grocery store and a wonderful source of protein.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Last time I bought an enormous bag of sweet potato fries- so much easier than chopping and peeling my own. Their quinoa is really well priced too! We also bought some fruit and veggies, a cheese assortment and humus.

oh! and their trail mixes, love those!
  • MelHoneyRocks
    Options
    I buy their Avocados, they are always wonderful...the cuties, they have great bacon too. Chicken, Fish, Shrimp, dried cherries and almonds. I could go on forever.
  • sarah_ep
    sarah_ep Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Wild Planet Tuna
    Fruit
    Veggies
    Cheese
    Avocados
    Lean Meat