reducing portion vs changing what you eat

Options
124»

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Little bit of both for me. And I'm not so sure if I reduced portions so much as reduced frequency of large portion meals, coupled with being more active and burning more calories to allow for the portions I'm happy eating, and some degree of adding new, healthier foods into the mix. Rather than calling chicken and Rice-A-Roni a meal, I'd have the same amount of chicken, slightly less rice and a great big pile of veggies. Same volume of food, maybe even a larger volume of food, but more nutritionally balanced.
  • Sandy2658
    Sandy2658 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm a firm believer that you can eat anything you want...just not ALL of it. I do watch what I eat and I exercise, but if I get a craving for pizza or chocolate or even chips I will go for it...just in a human size portion. Sometimes just a bite or two will do it.
    I wanted chocolate a few nights ago...I have a bag of Hershey kisses in the cupboard from baking last Christmas. (This in itself is a miracle. Back in the old days, I would have finished the entire bag in one sitting.) Just knowing I *could* have one if I wanted was enough.
    We sabotage ourselves the moment we say "I can't have it...I'm on a diet." That's why diets don't work. This is a lifesytle change.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    i think what it comes down to is you have to find what will work for you. i gravitated toward healthier foods after i did this for a while. at first i just cut portions. i think each person does what they think is best for them. it's possible to do it either way.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone! I was wondering if people who are losing weight with MFP simply cut portions of "regular foods" (and stay within calorie goal) or if you completely change what you're eating to healthy food 100% of the time. This is just for my own curiousity. I have heard from some that you can still eat what you want and just reduce portions but some swear that you have to start eating healthy all of the time. Thanks!

Well, it depends on your goal. If you are just trying to get healthier, like i am, what you eat is irrelevant, just keep hitting your macros , creating that calorie deficit, and exercising, and you'll be fine. this was is far easier to sustain indefinitely.

If, however, you actually want to get healthY, then changing what you eat will help. However, it may make it much harder to bear and you run the risk of falling off.

Down to you really! :)
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Nobody eats healthy foods (or does anything else) 100% of the time. Nobody.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    Oh, I SO agree with you!