Couch to 5k

Options
has anyone done this program? did it help you become a better runner? i would especially like to know from someone who was not a runner AT ALL and did the program. that is where i am, not a runner AT ALL. i have started the couch to 5k program last week along with my husband (who is also NOT a runner) and we are hoping to up our endurance and confidence and run a 5k this summer together. So, anyone susscessful with c25k?

Replies

• Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm on week three at the moment and I can see a definite improvement already. Even after I complete that training I run/walk for additional minutes to hit a total 60 minutes of exercise. When I started out I topped out at 4.5 mph (more jogging I guess) now I go for 5.5 or 6 mph!
  • reddqueen
    reddqueen Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner. I'm getting ready to begin week 1 as well - I've started the program before, but then quit. Now I've committed to running a 5k in June, so I've got to keep going this time around.

I do have several friends who have gone through the program, and continue to run now that they've completed their initial goal.
  • JodaNord
    JodaNord Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I did the C25K started in September, and can now run 10k! Am working towards a half marathon in MAy and take it from someone who swore they would NEVER be a runner, it works. It makes you slowly build endurance and then you get to enjoy it, and set goals for further and longer runs! Stick to it and don't make excuses for skipping a day or a week, and if you need to repeat a week, its okay. I had to repeat two weeks in total, just cause i didn't feel cofident i could move to the next quite yet...
  • kitsrunner
    kitsrunner Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hey check out my February Challenge under the Fitness and Exercise board:

"5km Running Challenge"
  • LesliePierceRN
    LesliePierceRN Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I was very successful with it.. a year ago I did C25K (in the middle of winter!) and by Spring I was training for a half marathon!! I finished it too, in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'm a runner for life now! And I was NEVER a runner before. Oh, and did I mention that when I started, I was a size 16 and 38 years old? Now I'm a size 4 and can conquer the world!
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 and when I started I was not a runner. I'm amazed at the progress...my breathing is great, my legs feel good, and my endurance improves daily. I'm still 228 pounds, and still can do it, so I'm sure you'll do amazingly! Have fun with it!
  • BiancaW18
    BiancaW18 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Can someone tell me what the program is?
    My boyfriend and I are setting a goal to run a 5k by the end of the year and I can barely run a mile without heaving!!
    Any info would be much appreciated!!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I just finished.. I have NEVER been a runner. Even in jr high and high school when we had to run, I walked. But I did all 8 weeks and I have still been running after.
  • Mama_CAEI
    Mama_CAEI Posts: 235
    Options
    I'm on week 2 and hoping to run the 5k in the Ottawa Race Weekend in May!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3, and so far so good. Everyone I know who's done it has sworn by it.
    Can someone tell me what the program is?
    My boyfriend and I are setting a goal to run a 5k by the end of the year and I can barely run a mile without heaving!!
    Any info would be much appreciated!!

It's a 9 week program intended to take even the most out of shape person and help them be able to run a 5k by the end of the program. Best of all it's free and low tech. You can find out more at www.c25k.com
  • LuaLiz
    LuaLiz Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I did the couch to 5k challenge back in the winter of 2010 and had great success!!!! i finished the program the end of March 2010, and completed my first 5K race at the beginning of April. it worked so much that i even managed to do a 10K that may!! :) anyway, i ended up blogging throughout the entire challenge if you're interested: http://laurawillrun.blogspot.com/
  • ikkle_hellie
    Options
    I was very successful with it.. a year ago I did C25K (in the middle of winter!) and by Spring I was training for a half marathon!! I finished it too, in 2 hours and 30 minutes. I'm a runner for life now! And I was NEVER a runner before. Oh, and did I mention that when I started, I was a size 16 and 38 years old? Now I'm a size 4 and can conquer the world!

Thats just what I need to hear!!!! I started 3 weeks ago - and my aim is the Great North Run in September. I am also a size 16... I hope I'm as sucessful as you - well done!!!

As mentioned above, I did week 1 twice, and will be definately doing week 2 twice... I guess you just need to know your limits!
  • jesseBYAH
    jesseBYAH Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I started out as NOT a runner at all. I completed week 4, day 2 yesterday. It was tough but I did it! And it was better than week 4, day 1. I get better every time I run. Some pointers:

- Watch your form. Watch youtube videos about running form and try not to land on your heel. This will prevent your knees from getting hurt.

- Get some shoes that you feel comfortable in.

- Start slow, don't push yourself. Rest days are very important!

Good luck to you! I am starting to like running. I hated it at first. I am running a 1/2 marathon in July so I have about 6 more months to train. Sounds a little impossible but I started this to push myself, and it has helped a lot! I hope you enjoy it!
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I am NOT a runner! But I am trying. I am on week 2 right now. I am improving with each time I run.

Best of luck!
  • MADDIESMOMMY6611
    MADDIESMOMMY6611 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I just started it today and I'm trying to think of other exercises that will help me lose weight along with this. From what I've heard/read it doesn't make you drop a lot of weight.
  • stacymhanbury
    stacymhanbury Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am on day 3 of week 1 and was wondering if the best results come from using a treadmill or doing this outside (weather permitting).

And I am NOT a runner!!!!!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes. It works. While I would classify myself as being in better than average shape overall, I've never been a runner. Committed myself to doing the program and now I can run a 5k. In fact I'm now running 2 miles just as a warm-up to my usual workout routine. Would have never imagined that just a few months ago!
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    I just started it today and I'm trying to think of other exercises that will help me lose weight along with this. From what I've heard/read it doesn't make you drop a lot of weight.

I would disagree. You should burn a LOT of calories doing this! My HR was 150's-160's while running which is higher than I usually get in a spin class or most other exercise (and I workout 6X/week)
  • Sadiejane00
    Sadiejane00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Excellent program. I am on week 4 workout 2. It is getting easier, but this is a big week-because friday I am suppoed to do 20 minutes. It builds you up slowly and things get easier. Just don't skip any workouts. You'll do great!
  • hdtoolgirl
    hdtoolgirl Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I was never a runner in all my life and started the C25K last spring using the iphone app. After 8 weeks of training, 3-4 days a week I was able to finish a 5K. I finished in 45 minutes.. Did I have to walk some of it, absolutely, but I finished it and by the middle of summer I was down to a 34minute 5K.. It works if you really dedicate yourself to it.. It will slowly build your endurance up. I'm starting all over again for a 5K in 8 weeks.