Upper body strength training without weights?

Options
Hey everyone, I am currently on day 11 of Insanity and I am loving it, the main issue I am having is my upper body strength, I am unable to do any weight training as I can not afford a gym.

Does anyone have any tips or exercises that I could add to my daily workout that will help increse my upper body? I weight 280ish and I have no limitations bosy wise for any possible workouts.

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    lift milk jugs above your head
  • Platnex
    Platnex Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    There isn't anything like that, the only thing I can really see that might work is a chair.
  • 82dB
    82dB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Just the usual spring to mind. Push ups and a chin up bar.
  • Platnex
    Options
    Push ups I can try work in, I can not pull myself up yet and I would not have anything to support me.
  • PhilLoch
    Options
    Why do you try push ups and pull ups. There must be someplace around your home or property where you can suspend yourself, maybe a tree limb. Just saying, you can use your body weight to build up some upper body strength and don't have to pay monthly fees for a fitness center.
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Push ups, chair dips, arm circles!
  • Platnex
    Options
    I have no idea what chair dips or arm circles are, I started off by just using gym machines, I never really done push ups or anything like that.
  • addisondisease
    Options
    1. Get a duffel bag, back pack, book bag anything fill it with sand, rice, rocks, books, gold bars, cocaine, salt, poop, pots pans.

2. Do:
    Bent-Rows
    Over head press
    Bench Press
    Push up to a 1 arm row
    Tricep extensions
    Curls
    Lateral Raise
    Crucifixion
    Turkish Get Up

You now have no excuses.
  • addisondisease
    Options
    I have no idea what chair dips or arm circles are, I started off by just using gym machines, I never really done push ups or anything like that.

uh seriously?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Chair+Dip+Exercise
  • jplucheck
    jplucheck Posts: 275 Member
    Options

U can google it and it will give u several step by step directions plus other options!
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options

Put your arms out like you are forming a T, start moving them in circles. change the radius of the circle and go forward and backwards. Those are the arm circles. If you like grab a can of beans on each hand for a bit of weight. Do you have bands?
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Google Bodyweight exercises and you'll get a million hits. Youtube some of them and youll get some demos.
  • Akjenn89
    Akjenn89 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Just googled upper body workouts.. one of the first things that popped up: http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/weight-free-upper-body-workout

:)
  • addisondisease
    Options
    ^^ Seriously i thought everyone know how google worked... This is getting sad
  • eayal002
    eayal002 Posts: 186
    Options
    http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/blnoweightwkout.htm

There a few other sites you can find beginner workouts, if you don't have any weights which I think you mentioned grab jugs of milk or follow what addison suggested.
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I do wall push ups. Put your palms flat on the wall, bend your elbows, straighten your back, let your body slowly come closer to the wall, then slowly push your body away from the wall. To work various parts of the arm, position your hands lower or higher. The advantages of wall push ups are that you don't have to worry about falling on your face and you don't have to wonder how you'll get off the floor. :bigsmile:
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    it would be very difficult to describe the litany of bodyweight exercises that you could do to build strength. your best bet is to do one or more of these things:

1. (as folks have mentioned)...go to google and search for "bodyweight exercises"

2. go to youtube and search for "bodyweight exercises"

3. go to bodyrock.tv and watch the free videos

4. I think Craig Ballantyne rocks when it comes to bodyweight exercises (and other routines using equipment). you can go to turbulencetraining.com and consider purchasing his bodyweight materials.

outside of bodyweight exercises, if you have the funds for some home equipment, I strongly recommend a FID bench and some adjustable dumbbells. Folks have mentioned using soup cans, water jugs, etc. as weights. Truth is that they won't do much...not for the exercises you can use them for. You are MUCH better off doing some real solid bodyweight routines...and pushing yourself on reps...then doing arm circles with soup cans.

Study the internet (particularly the sources I mentioned). there is a wealth of information out there.
  • CLotfy
    CLotfy Posts: 31
    Options
    I've been doing this arm workout with 3lb weights...in the diagram it shows the person using 24oz water bottles. It might not be exactly what you're looking for though: Erase Arm Flab Fast

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Ow3Q1QBYlHQ/Te6yg5RROrI/AAAAAAAACPs/-89KrIlCfH8/s1600/2.jpg
  • smilewithkatherine
    smilewithkatherine Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    LOL I totally agree about smacking your face. I love doing wall pushups.
  • nellie_88
    nellie_88 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    1. Get a duffel bag, back pack, book bag anything fill it with sand, rice, rocks, books, gold bars, cocaine, salt, poop, pots pans.

HAHAHA hilarious! :laugh: