interesting conversation with my doctor :) being stuck at sa

Options
I had an interesting conversation with my doctor yesterday. I called her frustrated that I have been loosing and gaining the same 2 lbs for weeks and not getting anywhere. I was eating 1200 calories a day and working out on averwage 6 days a week burning 600-900 calories a workout. She was not shocked at all she said I should be eating 1800-2000 calories a day minimum for those kind of workouts. She said try that for a few weeks and let her know I lost the same 2 lbs this morning but had 1600 calories yesterday so will be interesting to see how tomorrow morning looks :) im hopeful.

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ok but also be patient-- it may not be an overnight thing and it may take your body time to adjust to its healthier calorie intake. When I joined the site and people told me I wasn't eating enough I did lose more when I upped my calories, but it took a couple of weeks of gaining before the weight started to come off. Keep at it and it'll happen. :)
  • Terasome
    Terasome Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    Just curious what kind of workouts you are doing to be burning those calories?
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged if it doesn't happen straight away. Let your body adjust. Good luck!
  • EngiAli
    EngiAli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yes - netting 300-600 calories a day is called Starving yourself. Your body is holding on for dear life. You should NET at least 1200 calories a day after exercise. It may take awhile for your metabolism to straighten itself out and don't be shocked if you gain several pounds before starting to loose agani.
  • annimal74
    Options
    Just curious what kind of workouts you are doing to be burning those calories?
    I always do an hour intense cardio (varies everyday) and an hour and a half to two hours of strength training (also varies everyday)
  • annimal74
    Options
    Yes - netting 300-600 calories a day is called Starving yourself. Your body is holding on for dear life. You should NET at least 1200 calories a day after exercise. It may take awhile for your metabolism to straighten itself out and don't be shocked if you gain several pounds before starting to loose agani.

Yeah I thought I just had to get to 1200 lol I haven't ever had an appatite to speak of when I started mfp I was on average eat 600-700 cals a day I also have thyroid disease :-/
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Always eat your calories burned back. Your body has adjusted to "starve" mode. Just know, initially, you may see a gain as you retrain your body, but it wont take long to lose it.

If you want it...GET IT
  • annimal74
    Options
    Always eat your calories burned back. Your body has adjusted to "starve" mode. Just know, initially, you may see a gain as you retrain your body, but it wont take long to lose it.

If you want it...GET IT

Hopefully it won't take long :) I have no intentions of changing the amount of calories I burn a day unless I do more so hopefully things should start happening soon:)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had an interesting conversation with my doctor yesterday. I called her frustrated that I have been loosing and gaining the same 2 lbs for weeks and not getting anywhere. I was eating 1200 calories a day and working out on averwage 6 days a week burning 600-900 calories a workout. She was not shocked at all she said I should be eating 1800-2000 calories a day minimum for those kind of workouts. She said try that for a few weeks and let her know I lost the same 2 lbs this morning but had 1600 calories yesterday so will be interesting to see how tomorrow morning looks :) im hopeful.
    Tomorrow?
    How about sticking with it a whole month to let your metabolism catch up?
    Seriously, this takes time, but the good news is that you have plenty of time.

Be patient.
  • annimal74
    Options
    Tomorrow?

Be patient.
    well I had planned on keep the calories up from now on :) but hoping for something to happen lol patience isn't really my long suit but I'm trying to be :)
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow?

Be patient.

This :)
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Measuring weight loss on a day by day basis is a bad way to judge progress. Your body fluctuates too much naturally to know anything about the success or failure of a regimen over a couple of days. You have to commit to it and see if it gives you progress over the long term.

Your doctor is right, you need to eat more calories. Regardless of how it affects your weight loss, your old levels of eating weren't healthy and they'll only lead to more health problems.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I think your doctor is right - I know a lot of people do 1200 calorie goals here, but 1200 calories is really low. Too low in my opinion, ESPECIALLY if you're putting in great burns.

As others have said, be patient, dear. Give your body time and kindness. Say committed to your goals and they will happen!
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Well if you had read these forums a bit you'd see a zillion posts about this and people trying to starve themselves.

1200 is rarely enough but people get that magic number in their head because they do their settings and choose "lose 2lbs a week" wehn they only have 20 to lose --- -and thats too much, too fast. No one should even be choosing 2lbs a week unless they have 75-100 or more pounds to lose.

Were you eating your exercise calories back at least?

Thank God you listen to your doctor even if you chose to ignore all the settings and faq here.
  • annimal74
    Options
    Well if you had read these forums a bit you'd see a zillion posts about this and people trying to starve themselves.

1200 is rarely enough but people get that magic number in their head because they do their settings and choose "lose 2lbs a week" wehn they only have 20 to lose --- -and thats too much, too fast. No one should even be choosing 2lbs a week unless they have 75-100 or more pounds to lose.

Were you eating your exercise calories back at least?

Thank God you listen to your doctor even if you chose to ignore all the settings and faq here.

No I wasnt eating anything over 1200 a day so that didn't work and I figure my doctor is a very smart woman for a reason soooooo we'll try it her way and see where I get :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too low for most people - in fact it's the minimum any woman should eat. I've had to up my calories too - it works. You have to feed the machine!! :)
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    OMG someone's doctor actually gave them GOOD advice on dieting?!?!?! *checks outside for flying pigs*

someone in one of my groups just had a doctor tell her that if she wasn't losing weight on 1200 calories a day she should drop to 900 calories a day. Even with her, you know, MARATHON training.
  • 1cntyrblsng
    Options
    When I was doing "weight-down" I was losing 2 lbs a week, with no excerise. Weight- down does not count cal at all. It' about waiting on your body to feel hungry and then just eating until that feeling is gone. it takes a day or so to figure your body out. You can google it. I like it.
  • annimal74
    Options
    1200 is way too low for most people - in fact it's the minimum any woman should eat. I've had to up my calories too - it works. You have to feed the machine!! :)

Due to thyroid issues I don't generally get hungry so I have to set reminders on my phone that I should eat lol sad I know
  • annimal74
    Options
    OMG someone's doctor actually gave them GOOD advice on dieting?!?!?! *checks outside for flying pigs*

someone in one of my groups just had a doctor tell her that if she wasn't losing weight on 1200 calories a day she should drop to 900 calories a day. Even with her, you know, MARATHON training.

No flying pigs here either she is an awesome doctor :)