Eating for your Bloodtype...fact or fiction?

Options
12346»

Replies

• wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I believe there is some truth and some fallacy... best thing find what is best for your body and do it amazingly
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    There really isn't alot of blood types or different kind of foods so this so called diet is probably bound to strike truth for someone now and then.

It may not be the foods when counted individually, but stick them all together in various ways and results could be far and wide.

What is that saying.... "you are what you eat"...... I quite like that quote.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Two years ago I had a food allergy panel done. Then 2 months ago, I got another one done (just to see if the same foods are the culprit) I've suffered from eczema off and on since I was a baby, and found out that eczema (as well as other skin conditions) can be caused by certain foods, for it's a form of an allergy.

You're right, eczema CAN be irritated/inflamed by certain foods or other environmental factors, BUT, it is also genetic.
    This bloodtype diet was created based on one man's BELIEF that it was so, he then set out to try to prove it. His son has carried on his work.
    For every person who claims that it works and is a miracle diet, there are a dozen that it didn't work for. I've seen countless threads on this subject.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it won't/doesn't work for YOU. I'm just saying that it's coincidence.
    I mean, what the 'creator' of this diet wants us to believe is that there are only FOUR diets in the world that exist for all people in every economic/environmental circumstance? Seriously?

Eczema is not just "can be irritated/inflamed by certain foods", it often IS due to certain foods that it gets inflamed.

Many people will have their Eczema clear by avoiding certain foods and products. It should never just be put down to genetic or hereditary - that smacks of just accepting it for life.

If the OP is finding that this sort of eating is helping her, then it IS indeed working for her. All this "educate" yourself, it is bull**** etc etc, great,m then don't participate in it. However, reading some of the replies on here, it is almost as if some people are begrudging the OP finding something that works!!!

I am allergic to coughlinctus, I defy anybody to tell me it is all in my mind and that cutting out Coughlinctus medicine when I have a bad cough is stupid. The first time I took Coughlinctus I ended up in hospital with the tests showing an allergy to that medicine, the second time I took it, many, many years later (I took it because I totally forgot I had that allergy), my legs swelled up, began to turn BLACK and I thought I was going to lose them. I dread to think what a third dose of it would do - that is why I would never take it again.

The same goes for other allergies. The OP has an allergy or allergies and is finding this way of eating suits her and it is not up to me or anybody else to tell her she is wrong.

I never said SHE was wrong, I said that it was coincience that this particular 'diet' worked.
    Also, I never said that it was JUST genetic and that she should accept it. I said it is ALSO genetic.
    Yes, allergies and environmental factors WILL inflame/irritate it and if she cuts those things out her eczema may clear up. That DOESN'T mean that it's not still there, in her genes, waiting for an excuse to flare up. It DOESN'T mean she's cured. What it DOES mean is that the eczema is in 'remission' (if you like) because she has ceased to expose herself to the irritants.

I didn't tell her to "educate herself". Some other posters may have done. I was not one of them.
    In no way, whatsoever, was I offensive or rude.

As for, " All this "educate" yourself, it is bull**** etc etc, great,m then don't participate in it. However, reading some of the replies on here, it is almost as if some people are begrudging the OP finding something that works!!!"
    In the title of this thread, did the OP ask the QUESTION "fact or fiction?" or did she not?!

If someone ASKS for my opinion, I will freely give it.
  • Di3012
    Options
    Two years ago I had a food allergy panel done. Then 2 months ago, I got another one done (just to see if the same foods are the culprit) I've suffered from eczema off and on since I was a baby, and found out that eczema (as well as other skin conditions) can be caused by certain foods, for it's a form of an allergy.

You're right, eczema CAN be irritated/inflamed by certain foods or other environmental factors, BUT, it is also genetic.
    This bloodtype diet was created based on one man's BELIEF that it was so, he then set out to try to prove it. His son has carried on his work.
    For every person who claims that it works and is a miracle diet, there are a dozen that it didn't work for. I've seen countless threads on this subject.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that it won't/doesn't work for YOU. I'm just saying that it's coincidence.
    I mean, what the 'creator' of this diet wants us to believe is that there are only FOUR diets in the world that exist for all people in every economic/environmental circumstance? Seriously?

Eczema is not just "can be irritated/inflamed by certain foods", it often IS due to certain foods that it gets inflamed.

Many people will have their Eczema clear by avoiding certain foods and products. It should never just be put down to genetic or hereditary - that smacks of just accepting it for life.

If the OP is finding that this sort of eating is helping her, then it IS indeed working for her. All this "educate" yourself, it is bull**** etc etc, great,m then don't participate in it. However, reading some of the replies on here, it is almost as if some people are begrudging the OP finding something that works!!!

I am allergic to coughlinctus, I defy anybody to tell me it is all in my mind and that cutting out Coughlinctus medicine when I have a bad cough is stupid. The first time I took Coughlinctus I ended up in hospital with the tests showing an allergy to that medicine, the second time I took it, many, many years later (I took it because I totally forgot I had that allergy), my legs swelled up, began to turn BLACK and I thought I was going to lose them. I dread to think what a third dose of it would do - that is why I would never take it again.

The same goes for other allergies. The OP has an allergy or allergies and is finding this way of eating suits her and it is not up to me or anybody else to tell her she is wrong.

I never said SHE was wrong, I said that it was coincience that this particular 'diet' worked.
    Also, I never said that it was JUST genetic and that she should accept it. I said it is ALSO genetic.
    Yes, allergies and environmental factors WILL inflame/irritate it and if she cuts those things out her eczema may clear up. That DOESN'T mean that it's not still there, in her genes, waiting for an excuse to flare up. It DOESN'T mean she's cured. What it DOES mean is that the eczema is in 'remission' (if you like) because she has ceased to expose herself to the irritants.

I didn't tell her to "educate herself". Some other posters may have done. I was not one of them.
    In no way, whatsoever, was I offensive or rude.

As for, " All this "educate" yourself, it is bull**** etc etc, great,m then don't participate in it. However, reading some of the replies on here, it is almost as if some people are begrudging the OP finding something that works!!!"
    In the title of this thread, did the OP ask the QUESTION "fact or fiction?" or did she not?!

If someone ASKS for my opinion, I will freely give it.

Eh??? I never said that YOU said all of that, I was talking about some of the replies on this thread in general.

I, too, like to give my opinon and people have to remember that it is just that, my opinion. The same as everybody else's posts are - their opinion. :)
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's a coincidence your doctor and the recommendation for your blood type is similar.

Think about it this way, "A broken clock is still correct twice a day." You're the rare case where the clock is right.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I am not sure how true this is or not, but I know I wouldn't be able to follow it. I am type O, and what it says about me on the official blood type diet website is waaaay off base. Personality-wise, except for maybe one trait, I am the complete opposite. It also says, "When Type O wiring gets crossed, as a result of a poor diet, lack of exercise, unhealthy behaviors or elevated stress levels, Type O’s are more vulnerable to negative metabolic effects, including insulin resistance, sluggish thyroid activity, and weight gain." Well I do have insulin resistance and have been fat most of my life. Funny though, all I did was cut out large portions, most junk, and exercise more and the weight has been falling off quickly. It says I thrive on animal protein. When I used to eat a lot of meat, I got terrible heart burn. Now I am a vegetarian and eat very little non-meat animal products as well, and I am doing soooo much better. I should be a type A :P
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    "A broken clock is still correct twice a day."

Heh. My Science teacher used to quote that a lot. :smile:
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of it before so I just googled it.. Apparently, as an "O" blood type, I'm supposed to avoid avocados! Blasphemy to that. I love avocados! But really, I can't see how blood type has anything to do with what you should or shouldn't eat.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    well, i'm Type O which is supposed to eat a lot of meat. i am a vegetarian, sooooo. not happening!
  • Di3012
    Options
    well, i'm Type O which is supposed to eat a lot of meat. i am a vegetarian, sooooo. not happening!

Do you think it says lots of meat because of the protein involved though?
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    With the descriptions they give to the blood types, I would wonder how many of those descriptions fit to people that aren't from those blood types. They seem to point to normal things alot of different people have problems with and then say "stay from this food or that food" and "eat this food" etc, of course the person who is the matching blood type to the description will think "That is so me!" and will continue on. Its kind of like daily horoscopes.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have both books Eat Right 4 Your Type and Live Right 4 Your Type. I am living after them now for 4 months and I am completely allergy free for the first time in my life and all my blood work is better and loosing weight is actually easier too. So all the skeptics can holler and say whatever they want, I know it works. Not only for me but also for my husband. There are a lot of case studies and reading the book it makes a lot of sense.

Yep. I "intuitively" quit eating animals at 17. I just didn't like the concept.

Turns out my blood type fits that profile.

I currently eat birds and fishes....but once I get my goal weight I will be all veggie again :)
  • CenlaCoach
    Options
    I read the book eat right 4 your blood type back in 2000. I thought it was an interesting read and that there may be a little something to it. But as I have gone through my weight loss journey these past couple of years I think there is less and less to it. I am A+ and supposed to try to avoid meat but if I do eat it I am supposed to eat chicken, turkey, fish, etc. I am supposed to have a mainly vegetarian diet with fruit, nuts, veggies, and grains. I dont do well with grains especially the processed kind. I do eat a little brown rice, brown rice pasta, whole wheat pasta, and steel cut oats. When I try to incorporate more of these into my diet I want to eat more, I dont stay full as long, want to eat within 30 minutes after a meal and started gaining weight or maintaining with no change in calories. 2/3 or more of my carb calories come from fruits and veggies with carbs making up about 30-35 percent of my calories on average. Proteins are still 45-50 percent of all my calories and my body has done great on this. Now my wife is supposed to eat a lot of meat and we tried her on a high protein diet and her body didnt respond well. She had less energy and was physically sick after 3 days. We swapped her back over and she has been doing great.
    So I think it is on an individual basis how you handle it. Not everyone is the same and you need to adjust what you eat, zig zag your calories, and keep a food diary to document how things go before making a definite decision on what road to take.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    With the descriptions they give to the blood types, I would wonder how many of those descriptions fit to people that aren't from those blood types. They seem to point to normal things alot of different people have problems with and then say "stay from this food or that food" and "eat this food" etc, of course the person who is the matching blood type to the description will think "That is so me!" and will continue on. Its kind of like daily horoscopes.

Yes I agree, a person can look at their bloodtype and think "Wow, that's me". With myself, I knew beforehand what I was allergic to and read it years after on the Bloodtype diet. A placebo effect can certainly come into play. The mind is a powerful thing -- but when it comes to food allergies, my mind can not stop the torment the food will bring to my body. Oh, and my horoscope is right on key...stubborn, artistic, humanitarian....HA!! :wink: LOL
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Yes I agree, a person can look at their bloodtype and think "Wow, that's me". With myself, I knew beforehand what I was allergic to and read it years after on the Bloodtype diet. A placebo effect can certainly come into play. The mind is a powerful thing -- but when it comes to food allergies, my mind can not stop the torment the food will bring to my body. Oh, and my horoscope is right on key...stubborn, artistic, humanitarian....HA!! :wink: LOL

I didn't mean that pointed at you, just more meant in general. I think its great if it works for you and that you found what works. I just don't believe its fact. Heck I do read my horoscope even though I know what they do lol but thats what they do to pull people in, even myself.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it. The first time I heard of it was when a naturopathy doctor talked about it at a conference I was attending. She said she had tried it. I can't remember her blood type, but she followed it completely. She said she looked amazing, skin glowing, lost weight. People constantly commented on it. Then somehow she found out she had made a mistake, and that was not her blood type. She was supposed to be eating the complete opposite foods. ::shrug::

too funny! Great story! :laugh:
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options

I didn't mean that pointed at you, just more meant in general. I think its great if it works for you and that you found what works. I just don't believe its fact. Heck I do read my horoscope even though I know what they do lol but thats what they do to pull people in, even myself.

That's the thing, I can't find out what totally works for me. Sure I'm allergic to the foods I mentioned, but there is more to it. Still getting allergy symptoms. Basically, it's a puzzle I can't figure out, and the Docs just keep prescribing. I dont want to use prescribed creams for my eczema for the rest of my life for they can cause irreversible damage. It's quite frustrating really. Dumb horoscope didnt alleviate my woes today...LOL...( if I don't laugh, I'll cry ) :sad:
  • cathyL11
    cathyL11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Total fiction.

Think about evolution. If this were the case then asians, blacks, caucasians, etc, would have evolved having the same blood type since they all came from their individual geographic regions, eating the same foods.

I know from my work with pregnant women in Labor and Delivery that a majority of Asian women have type B blood. As for the rest of the population I'm not so sure that I see a pattern.