Tabata Protocol

Options
http://skinnyms.com/4-minute-workout-that-burns-fat-for-up-to-24-hours/

Has anybody tried this? I am curious how many calories this burns.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Tabata is the ultra form of HIIT. I would NOT do TABATA until you are fine doing HIIT at lower intervals. I did this at the gym on Tuesday. DRIPPING sweat and it is 16 minutes. I believe TABATA is great for those people who have already been doing HIIT, but I would NOT do TABATA as your first go at it.
    I did
    1:30 moderate speed
    :30 as fast and as hard as humanly possible
    1:30 moderate
    :30 fast and hard
    and so on until you hit 16 minutes. I use a bike because I WILL trip over myself and hurt myself on a treadmill. I KNOW I wouldn't be able to go at max capacity if I were on a treadmill. I've also heard a stairclimber is good. I do not have a heart rate monitor, so I don't know exactly how many calories, but I put in 16 minutes of exercise bike at the next to highest level on MFP and I got around 200 calories. Not a bad burn for 16 minutes of my time. My guess is in reality it is probably higher.
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try it next week on my cardio days. Probably just going to start with sprints and may mix it up later. Can't wait to see how it goes!
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    Tabata is brutal! I love it and I hate it! My Saturday circuit class does tabata every other week. I am one of the heaviest in class, and I can do it. I struggle with the last 3 sets within each exercise, but I get through it. Then I am so sore for the next 3 days!!! It's crazy.
  • calabrdm
    calabrdm Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Tabata is a great workout. I always just tell myself that I can do anything that I set my mind to do. You can do it.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I researched this just today. What I found said that it's difficult to calculate the actual calories burned because it's not about the workout itself, it's about the fact that it causes your body to burn more fat for up to 36 hours after you do it. So I'd say it's not something you could just log on here.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    older bodyrock.tv workouts are based on tabata. i haven't watched newer episodes but it is a different gal creating them so not certain

I like to use tabata protocol for strength exercise as well as cardio :) not sure how much it burns later, but it makes me feel good
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    My trainer has me do Tabata as one of the workouts (she has me do a different workout each week). Each time I do it, it is with a different mix of exercises - it is a great calorie burner and like other posters have mentioned, it does continue to burn calories. Hard to log, but you could wear a HRM and log what you burn during the workout itself.
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    Correct. It's more about the huge after burn. I wear a HRM anyway when I do it and get a killer burn during. It's an effective workout and I find my soreness isn't as severe if I drink a recovery mix immediately after.
  • millerhillbabe
    Options
    My trainer has me to Tabata training all the time and I love it! It is a great way to keep that calorie burn going after your workout. Again your calorie burn depends on your weight fitness levels and age. and how much you really put into it. I can have burns that vary as much as 650 an hour to one day I got a burn of 1212. just depends on effort, age and fitness level. Have fun!!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    Correct. It's more about the huge after burn. I wear a HRM anyway when I do it and get a killer burn during. It's an effective workout and I find my soreness isn't as severe if I drink a recovery mix immediately after.

I was planning on wearing HRM while doing it too and log just that.
    Good point on the recovery mix immediately after.

I will have to try this then. Thanks for your posts and keep them coming.
  • Kathyalbertson
    Kathyalbertson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I tried this today it was awesome! I dont how calories it burns, but my body was like jello when i was done. I was the biggest person in the class and i could do most of it. There were just a couple of things i couldnt do. Will diff do it again!
  • SavBrookeS
    SavBrookeS Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started this today too! It took at least 5 minutes for me to catch my breath afterwards. I'm really excited to see how it works out.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Interested in this, by my gym doesn't offer it (actually, my gym seems to have a pretty rubbish selection of classes), so no idea how I would do it. I am guessing there might be some sample workouts on the net?
    I have thus far only done hiit, where I do 1 min of all out sprinting, then 2 min recovery/walking, repeat and rinse.
  • Loftearmen
    Options
    I like to do the tabata protocol with front squats and farmer's walks
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    1) Just because an exercise "burns fat for 24 hours" (and even THAT is not a given), doesn't mean it burns a LOT of fat, or even that meaningful an amount of fat in 24 hours. The total counts. Even with the extended "afterburn" HIIT workouts do not come close to burning as many calories as an extended steady-state aerobic workout (that's not a knock against HIIT--there are other benefits both for fat loss and fitness that make those workouts good to include in your routine--but the calorie burns are usually overstated).

2) The only "Tabata Protocol" is the one described in the research study--pedaling on a cycling ergometer at a watt level that represents 170% of your VO2 max. Anything else is HIIT. Calling calisthenics "tabata" is like calling Velveeta "cheese".

I know--pedantic. But there are a lot of "trainers" out there blowing a lot of smoke with the term "tabata". It never hurts to know the facts.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    tabata is 4 minutes of hell. 20 seconds of full tilt, 10 seconds of rest. repeat for a total of 8 times... no breaks.... Honestly, i have puked a few times afterwards however, it is HIIT to the max. My HRM says i burn about 80 cals during the 4 minutes and about 200 more in the next hour or so.

yep, it works. But, like i said in the beginning, it is 4 minutes of hell.

tread lightly if you aren't already in pretty good shape!

Good luck
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I am loving Tabata and HIIT workouts lately! You can make any exercise into a tabata routine, check out fitnessblender.com and enter in hiit for some workouts or fithealthymoms.com has some awesome workouts. You don't need to go to the gym for this either which is another reason I like it, sure beats 40 mins on the elliptical, at least for me :) I have no idea how many cals this burns for me so I eat at maintenance and if I'm still hungry I eat something healthy even if I go over. My favorites are doing jumping jacks, jump rope, skaters, burpees, heismans, :)

What is Tabata- http://www.fithealthymoms.com/2011/04/11/tabata-workout/