Anyone else on 1200 a day?

Options

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Why do new people like to do this the hard way?
    You dont starve the fat away gang you work it off.

Eat enough to boost metabolism.
    Work out enough to burn calories and boost metabolism.
    Boost metabolism!
    Boost metabolism!
    Eating below BMR KILLS metabolism!

Its not rocket science!

The 1200 calorie failure crew will eat at 1200 and lower their metabolism.
    Complain that they havent lost a pound.
    Workout extra hard to eat back what they should have already been eating in the first place.

If for any reason you all dont lose weight then try eating at 1600 calories daily and working out 3 times a week.

Average persons TDEE is probably 2300calories daily give or take.
    Thats working out 3 times a week and having a regular 9-5 job.

So 16100 calories weekly.
    You eat 1600 calories a day.
    So 11200 weekly <---look ma a deficit!
    Work out 3 times a week and burn 200 calories each session.
    So at the end of the week youve had what 10600 calories...
    Thats a 5500 calorie deficit weekly.
    A pound of fat weighs what?
    2500 calories?

You guys do the math.
    Its almost that time in January when all the resolutions go back to normal and most of you wont be here.
    Or will you?

Truth be told if you dont know what your dietary numbers are youll fail.
    Do the research.
    Know what BMR is and why its important not to eat below it.
    Know what TDEE is and what it does for you.
    Know your body fat % because it will stop you from writing the next set of forum posts about your scale and why you are so confused by it.

Good luck!
  • Mommareed4
    Options
    if i eat more than 1200 than i either maintain or gain. so i like to stay at 1200. Now some days i may only eat 900 cals but usually the next day i eat about 1400..so it all even out by the end of the week.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Youll gain weight eating below your BMR.
    You need to regulate at a higher caloric intake and work out.
    Think about it this way...The BMR is a caloric intake for providing "essential nutrients" to "vital organs".
    You starve your Vital Organs for long enough and youll be looking at bigger problems than being fat.

How much weight have you lost at 1200 calories a day?
  • jennyjo79
    jennyjo79 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Why do new people like to do this the hard way?
    You dont starve the fat away gang you work it off.

Eat enough to boost metabolism.
    Work out enough to burn calories and boost metabolism.
    Boost metabolism!
    Boost metabolism!
    Eating below BMR KILLS metabolism!

Its not rocket science!

The 1200 calorie failure crew will eat at 1200 and lower their metabolism.
    Complain that they havent lost a pound.
    Workout extra hard to eat back what they should have already been eating in the first place.

If for any reason you all dont lose weight then try eating at 1600 calories daily and working out 3 times a week.

Average persons TDEE is probably 2300calories daily give or take.
    Thats working out 3 times a week and having a regular 9-5 job.

So 16100 calories weekly.
    You eat 1600 calories a day.
    So 11200 weekly <---look ma a deficit!
    Work out 3 times a week and burn 200 calories each session.
    So at the end of the week youve had what 10600 calories...
    Thats a 5500 calorie deficit weekly.
    A pound of fat weighs what?
    2500 calories?

You guys do the math.
    Its almost that time in January when all the resolutions go back to normal and most of you wont be here.
    Or will you?

Truth be told if you dont know what your dietary numbers are youll fail.
    Do the research.
    Know what BMR is and why its important not to eat below it.
    Know what TDEE is and what it does for you.
    Know your body fat % because it will stop you from writing the next set of forum posts about your scale and why you are so confused by it.

Good luck!

Okay ... I'm going to sound like a dumba**, but what does TDEE stand for?

I have lost 55lbs in the past from WW and kept it off. I have about 12 more lbs I'd like to lose. MFP currently has me at 1200 calories a day, but I am not losing (much). I've noticed I actually see more of a loss after the weekend, when I allow myself a little higher amnt of calories. So apparently I need to up my calories it seems.

I checked my BMR and found it is 1310. I typically exercise 5 days a week for an hour ... give or take. So I should at least be eating 1310 to lose weight? Is that correct?
  • riotsgram
    riotsgram Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just started this week but have done Weight Watchers in the past so counting calories is similar to adding up points. I found if I plan ahead by calculating my meals and snacks the day b4 I can stay within the 1200 calorie range. I do add some exercise to up the calories. There are a lot of high fiber, low fat options available now. Take advantage of some of the great healthy products available out there. Good Luck!
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

I have lost 55lbs in the past from WW and kept it off. I have about 12 more lbs I'd like to lose. MFP currently has me at 1200 calories a day, but I am not losing (much). I've noticed I actually see more of a loss after the weekend, when I allow myself a little higher amnt of calories. So apparently I need to up my calories it seems.

I checked my BMR and found it is 1310. I typically exercise 5 days a week for an hour ... give or take. So I should at least be eating 1310 to lose weight? Is that correct?

Its how many calories you burn a day. If you eat above TDEE you gain.
    If you eat below, you lose!
    Simple!
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Its how many calories you burn a day. If you eat above TDEE you gain.
    If you eat below, you lose!
    Simple!

1310 would be bmr. to get tdee (or maintenance) here is what you do:
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

then if you want to lose, a good recommendation is multiply TDEE times 0.8 that is a 20% reduction from maintenance.

so for me... my bmr is 1200 approximately. i exercise about 5 times a week so i would multiply by 1.55 = 1860. that would be approximately my maintenance calories. if i'm trying to lose i'd take the 1860 times 0.8 = (1488) to get a safe number of calories i can eat and lose at a healthy pace.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    When I really plan my meals, I can eat a lot of food for 1200 and I don't feel deprived.

So for breakfast, I eat a homemade Egg McMuffin-type sandwich and a smoothie, for under 400 calories. It's a lot of food and I feel stuffed.

I just found a book called "The 400 Calorie Fix." It has pictures and recipes and also includes 400 calorie meals if you're eating out.

There's another book called "Volumetrics" which shows how to eat more food for fewer calories. It also has photos, which I find very helpful. I found "Volumetrics" at my library.

Anyway, for me, it helps to have a strategy like this...eating better quality foods for a more satisfying experience.

Sometimes I also like Kashi frozen dinners, or Amy's brand of organic frozen foods. (Check the sodium though, I haven't had them in a while).

But in the end, I usually go over the 1200 somewhat, but not always. There's also the theory that zigzagging (eating fewer calories some days, a lot more on others) tricks your body, so it releases the weight more easily instead of sensing that you're going to be on a low calorie starvation type of diet.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

1310 would be bmr. to get tdee (or maintenance) here is what you do:
    If you are sedentary (little or no exercise) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.2
    If you are lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.375
    If you are moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.55
    If you are very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.725
    If you are extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training) : Calorie-Calculation = BMR x 1.9

then if you want to lose, a good recommendation is multiply TDEE times 0.8 that is a 20% reduction from maintenance.

so for me... my bmr is 1200 approximately. i exercise about 5 times a week so i would multiply by 1.55 = 1860. that would be approximately my maintenance calories. if i'm trying to lose i'd take the 1860 times 0.8 = (1488) to get a safe number of calories i can eat and lose at a healthy pace.

Very good!

BTW you will lose the same amount of weight doing this than cutting to BMR but you wont kill metabolism!
    If you start fasting for 16 hours a day you could eat more...
  • hugsnkisses1499
    hugsnkisses1499 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1000 a day but i cant eat anymore as i feel full!
  • joneswife09
    joneswife09 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    i'm on 1000 a day but i cant eat anymore as i feel full!

Suggestion...Do it anyway!
  • alexbelly
    alexbelly Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200, too. It allows for more when you log your exercises.
    I'm trying to use it as inspiration to work out.
  • twanthe1
    twanthe1 Posts: 407
    Options
    1200 a day would kill me - I'm on 1800 and it sucks at times.
  • chiv123
    chiv123 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and find that I have to be careful to eat minimally in the a.m, particularly on days when I have to be up very early. Its easier to manage with exercise and (somewhat tedious) meal planning . I'm pretty new here, so only time will tell if this low of calorie intake is maintainable for me, but I can see that it will be a challenge. Hopefully it gets easier once I have a bit of a routine. On top of it, MFP predicts I'll lose only 1.1lbs/week, rather than the 2lbs I selected. Only time will tell, but I have a feeling it will come off a little quicker, at least in the first few weeks.
  • theresasimone
    Options
    I get 1250 a day to lose 1 pound a week. Since I exercise that is more than enough for me. I am starting to cut out butter in my starches and veggies. I eat healthier snacks that are high in fiber. Foods high in fiber will fill you up so you won't be as hungry. I love chocolate, so I started eating fiber one oats and chocolate bars and that is all the chocolate I need for the day.
  • Never2Bz
    Never2Bz Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    During a previous time dealing with my weight issues I found I lose weight more the first month. I put my goal at 1200. Second month I went to 1000. Third month I went to 800. . I did end up losing 10 lbs. per month which was my goal. Now I started at 1200, lost 10 lbs. in 12 days so I reduced to 1100 cals. I will continue to reduce my cals by 100 cals each time I lose 10 lbs. I will not go under 800 cals. BTW I don't give myself extra cals for working out, so you have to be careful because your body will feel weak if you overdo it. Just "listen to your body"... you know what is best for you!
  • I_get_fit
    I_get_fit Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1200 calories to lose 1.5 lbs per week. I'm currently unable to workout because I had my gallbladder removed recently so I've been sticking to that number. But when I workout I eat back all my exercise calories (usually around 1600 calories total) - this works great for me.
  • alisonst76
    Options
    To all the men who are saying this is starvation . . . . women's bodies are very different from a mans.

We have less muscle mass which means our bmr is much lower also we have a much lower testosterone level which means it is much hard for us to gain and maintain muscle mass. We also tend to have a much smaller frame. We also have these really wacky hormones that throw everything else out of sync.

Yes to a typical man 1200 calories a day is starvation to a small framed female with little muscle mass to maintain at a sedentry job 1200 is plenty.

I'm on 1200 a day too and I don't ever feel hungry and I don't eat my exercise calories back either. I work out on average 6 hours a week a combo of cardio/strenght training.

All about the smart choices. If I go over it is from mindless snacking on junk food or eating out.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    To all the men who are saying this is starvation . . . . women's bodies are very different from a mans.

We have less muscle mass which means our bmr is much lower also we have a much lower testosterone level which means it is much hard for us to gain and maintain muscle mass. We also tend to have a much smaller frame. We also have these really wacky hormones that throw everything else out of sync.

Yes to a typical man 1200 calories a day is starvation to a small framed female with little muscle mass to maintain at a sedentry job 1200 is plenty.

I'm on 1200 a day too and I don't ever feel hungry and I don't eat my exercise calories back either. I work out on average 6 hours a week a combo of cardio/strenght training.

All about the smart choices. If I go over it is from mindless snacking on junk food or eating out.

i don't know about this... sure women's bodies may be different but i can't really eat 1200 long term. i only go that low if i had a really high day the day before. then i end up back at 1500-1600. the closer to maintenance you eat and the more you exercise, the more you will make your metabolism go up. it happened to me. i was eating 1200 and then let myself have more and it was amazing how i was losing more weight eating more (but still exercsing). eating less slows down metabolism. unless you can't exercise, eating that low could sabotage your efforts in the long run.

edited to add - i am 125 lb and 5'4" so i am a small person and eat way more than 1200. i have a desk job so basically sedentary, burn about 250 calories a day with exercise.
  • bookwormie
    bookwormie Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You're able to lose 2 lbs. with 1200 calories? The most I can lose at 1200 is 0.7 lbs. I'm a little jealous of you when I read that. When I switch the setting to 2 lbs, that's all I get. When I set it to 1 lb. it says the same thing. I'm sure it's because I'm short (4'11"). 1200 seems a perfectly normal amount of food to me, not at all starving, probably for the same reason.