How do you stop the snack cravings!!

Options
13»

Replies

• Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The healthy choice chocolate ice cream bars are 100 calories so if you are having a really good day and are under on your goals, this is a great treat and very satisfying. Also I really love to make a low calorie protein smoothie with frozen fruit.
  • JohnsonTL
    Options
    I had to completely go cold turkey on any treats/sweets. I was kidding myself when I said I was treating myself a snack here and there for having a successful day; but HOW MANY times I treated myself in a day became a huge burden. I figured that if I went cold turkey until I reached a certain weight I could work on my self control and slowly ease back into those treats.

Now instead of craving swiss roles or DQ ice cream cones I find a weird excitement in having a piece of specialty bread or an apple with some peanut butter. Foods that in the past didn't seam so desirable but healthy I absolutely crave.

I think there were a lot of above responses that were great like the rice cakes and low calorie popcorn. Just keep in mind that even if you work out extra to treat yourself you have to look at the bigger scheme of things; are you in control of your decisions? Some days it may make more sense to work out an extra 10 minutes because you owe it to yourself to be healthy not because you wanted to make sure you "earned" a treat.

Good luck!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    WW Éclairs (frozen so needs defrosting) - 81kcal.
    Cadbury Mini Buttons - 99kcal
    Fruit Ice Lolly/Block - 60-90kcal

x
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Work out and extra 20 minutes a day and have a little snack.

That's what I do, if I have my mind on a snack, I workout a few minutes extra to have it. I just remind myself that if it doesn't "fit" then I can't have it.
  • corsax3
    Options
    i have the same problem, but i heard that this guy, who lost 100lbs, say that whenever he wanted a snack he would just brush his teeth. the snacks didnt taste the same after, and he has nice teeth, haha
  • gdb86
    gdb86 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    A few options I enjoy:
    100 calorie popcorn (butter or kettle!) <- it is a REALLY nice sized portion and it's a fun movie snack w/o the overload of calories
    Carrots w/ hummus <- great healthy snack and the creaminess of the hummus it makes you feel satisfied
    Nut-thins or mary's gone crackers w/ tzatziki yogurt style <- very satisfying, but not a horrible lack of nutritional value
    String Cheese (light)
    Handful of Nuts (Or specific serving size portion)
    Kale Chips! <- spray some organic olive oil spray on kale w/ a pinch of salt, massage it in and then put on a baking sheet @ 350 for 10-15 min and then you have a very healthy, crunchy chip-like snack!

Also, as others have mentioned as well, just drinking some tea or water can be a great place to start when you're craving. It's good to be sure you're not just dehydrated (which often can be the case when you're craving) and to test your system before you crack open a bag of your favorite snack!

Finally, any fruit or veggie is always a great option! Eat a banana or apple and then see if you're still hungry!

I would add though - for me, snacking gives me the feeling of cheating or even makes me feel a lot more relaxed about making excuses. "Oh I can have just 2 more it won't hurt" or what have you. For some reason the idea of it not being a meal, feels a little different. Maybe I'm weird for feeling that way, but snacking can be the death of a great streak for me! Especially if the snack options are high in sugar or salt. It's like your FEEDING the crave department in your head to want more of food that you wouldn't usually want if you weren't snacking on high processed, high salt, high sugar foods.

Again, that's just me! I try to stick to the snacks above and mix them up to give myself the feeling of variety and not like I'm depriving my system!

Hope that helps! Happy snacking! :)
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Peppermint tea with a packet of stevia works for me.
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I had to completely go cold turkey on any treats/sweets. I was kidding myself when I said I was treating myself a snack here and there for having a successful day; but HOW MANY times I treated myself in a day became a huge burden. I figured that if I went cold turkey until I reached a certain weight I could work on my self control and slowly ease back into those treats.

Now instead of craving swiss roles or DQ ice cream cones I find a weird excitement in having a piece of specialty bread or an apple with some peanut butter. Foods that in the past didn't seam so desirable but healthy I absolutely crave.

I think there were a lot of above responses that were great like the rice cakes and low calorie popcorn. Just keep in mind that even if you work out extra to treat yourself you have to look at the bigger scheme of things; are you in control of your decisions? Some days it may make more sense to work out an extra 10 minutes because you owe it to yourself to be healthy not because you wanted to make sure you "earned" a treat.

Good luck!

I agree with the above! Thanks for posting that.
    I am not good at it yet, but I try to have healthy snacks. At work I have a couple of grapes, almonds, cucumber/carrot. I have an activia yoghurt everyday to help my tummy.

I had a while that I was really craving ice cream. Although there is 'low fat' ice cream, the thought of being healthy and eating ice cream didn't work (just like the above poster said). But then someone on this site posted the following: slice up a banana and lay on a plate. Put this in the freezer. Take them out of the freezer, leave them for a couple of minutes and then mix them up. This becomes the most creamiest ice cream you have ever had! It's amazing! And the only ingredient is a banana. Even my boyfriend loved it (he came home with 11 bananas the next day haha).

Good luck!
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    - bank a few extra calories for the snacking
    - skinny cow, and other low fat icecreams are good for sweet cravings
    - dark chocolate is good for sweet cravings
    - rice cakes

basically just look at the back of the packet
  • MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i eat fiber one cereal like nobodys business when i want a snack. you can take 1/2 cup of the orginal, 3/4 cup of the honey squares, sprinkle some splenda, top with some blueberries or strawberries, a cup of unsweetened almond milk : all for about 215 calories and i promise you will be bigtime full from it. i usually eat this as my late night snack. Makes for a good weigh-in in the morning too, helps clean you out.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    sometimes i say screw it and just snack on real snacks..the stuff i eat in between the three general meals are to keep me going till the next meal.. i typically just eat because its necessary now . but when i get that craving for chips and it wont go away... i eat the chips and get on with myself
  • annmarie31592
    Options
    i like to chew gum. it really helps me. when i am craving something usually its because im bored so i just chew a piece of gum and all is good and i no longer want to eat :)
  • elsaboyd
    Options
    I know you do not want to hear this , but the more fruit I eat the less I crave sweet things.This is not a quick fix though.I also have canned peaches in juice with cream.( Sour cream) or yogard.I have a slice of chocolate cake on Sundays and count it into daily Call alloweance.On Monday I know I hit the gym!
    ps are there any progress counter/tool that are on kg (South Africa)?
  • 506juliec
    Options
    With the amount of weight you have lost, you are the biggest winner!! Well done