Acanthosis Nigricans

Options
So I've had some pretty nasty acanthosis nigricans for quite a few years, and now that I've finally buckled down and am losing like 1/2 of my body weight, I'm curious if it will actually go away once I'm no longer overweight? I'm 21, don't have diabetes, and have probably seen it since I was 12 or 13. It's especially bad on my neck, but I also have it under my arms and a little bit on my hands and knees.

I've searched and searched online, and I know that the only "cure" for it is to lose weight and diet properly, etc., but I can't say I've ever actually seen pictures or heard an account of how losing weight has made one's go away. I'm curious of those on here who have lost a significant amount of weight have also seen the AN go away with it, too?

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty fair complected and have never noticed AN on myself, but I'd be interested to see if someone else has had it and it has gone away with losing weight. Great question!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read agrees with everything you've read. I haven't seen it diminishing on me either (I also don't have diabetes as far as I know, although I suspect I was probably borderline between diabetic and insulin resistant for a long time). I'm looking forward to starting P90X after my vacation and especially the low carb phase 1 meal plan to see if that helps.

If I notice it fading I'll definitely report back.
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have it, but it was a major factor in my dermatologist having me get tested for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and Insulin Resistance. I have both of those, but they are linked together. I have had the dark skin for a long time though. As a kid my mom would always tell me to wash my neck and would get mad when it wouldn't come off and scrub it herself until it was red and it still wouldn't come off. After finding out what it was she apologized to me and said she should have figured it was something medical because she is a nurse.
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    I had to google this because I didn't know what it was...I have this on my thighs and never knew what it was...I assumed it was because I was a ham and my thighs rubbed together. I sure hope it goes away when I lose enough weight!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have it around my neck and under arms. It was really noticeable when I first started. I really started noticing a difference after losing my first 50 lbs. I had diabetes II and when I finally lost over 100 lbs, I was no longer diabetic and doctor took me off diabetes meds, my neck and under arms really cleared up. It's really light now. Before it was pretty visible from a distance but now you have to get close to me to even notice it. It hasn't completely gone away but it's a huge improvement from before. My doctor told me the same thing you found out online, diet, excercise, weight loss and in time it will clear up.
  • Stephie_W
    Stephie_W Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi. I lost 60 pounds a few years ago, and the darkness on my neck went away completely. Unfortunately, I've gained most of the 60 back, and sure enough, the acanthosis nigricans is also back!!!

So keep the faith, it will go away with weight loss.
  • Xiansalgado
    Options
    Ugh. I've had this skin condition for the last 10 years of being severely obese. Now, I've lost weight, from 261, down to 172 and I'm not seeing a difference or improvement with my skin. I find myself buying every skin care product that has the words "lightening" and "whitener" but alas, to no avail, my skin stays brown. This is especially true on my neck, underarms, and ESPECIALLY between my legs. I would love to see someone actually tell the tale of how they managed to lose so much weight and have their skin condition improve. Tips?
  • stephanie_88
    Options
    I had this show up about 2 years ago. I went to the dermatologist and he told me about the insulin resistance due to being overweight. He gave me Desoximetasone gel (corticosteroid) to put on it twice a day. It went away even though I didn't lose any weight at the time. It hasn't come back and since then I have lost almost 60 lbs, 20 more to goal.
  • jamma143
    jamma143 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have had Acanthosis nigricans for not very long, but mine is weird. It seems that the better I eat, the less it is there. Once, I didn't even see it! Now, since I've been eating bad, I can see it!!! Just maintain a healthy diet, and moisturizer the skin. It will eventually go away. ????